Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 10:09 PM

76 posts, read 60,609 times

Advertisements

I am shooting a film project on a very low budget, and I would like to make a shot look like the camera is placed in the middle of the street, dead on.

However, I cannot afford to close the street and put the camera in the middle of it. So I thought it's probably best to shoot with a telephoto lens from the sidewalk (where I am allowed to be), and get a long enough telephoto that if I zoom in down the road enough, the POV will look like it's in the middle of the road.

But is there a way to calculate how long of a telephoto lens I would need to get in order to have that degree of angle, for the shot?

Thank you very much for any advice here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 10:24 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I'm sure there is a way to calculate it, but the known parameters would be dependant on what sort of camera you're using. A 35 mm film camera would take a different focal length lens than a medium format camera. A full frame digital camera would need a different lens ratio than a 4 thirds digi camera.

You could make this much simpler by just buying a zoom lens.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:17 AM

621 posts, read 310,782 times
It won't look like it's in the middle of the road. The perspective (relationship between the sizes of near objects and far objects) is a function of distance, not focal length. If you only want to get one object the right size, the mathematical function is simple: if you are twice as far from the subject as you would like to be, use twice the focal length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography