Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Status: "Mike Johnson stand your ground" (set 22 hours ago)

939 posts, read 1,227,773 times

Advertisements

Haven't played a violent video game for as long as I remember unless of course pacman devouring counts. Are we becoming a bit cold blooded. Resolution to an undesired offspring results in a somewhat violent act dependent on what side of the termination you are evaluating. AR weapons I'm sure is implemented in hunting for the sport of it (not). We have autocratic leaders annihilating their neighbor. Shooting every time you turn around. Is the casual acceptance of murder, theft, warfare and the like deteriorating morals. Has our regard for others deteriorated to the point that if you get pissed off or disillusioned as to any existence of morality that you grab a gun. Maybe as well as gun registration there should be a registry for purchases of excessively violent games. Do they set the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 10:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
I say this on behalf of all the other CD users here who have read your post - What da heck are you talking about?

Old 05-24-2023, 05:58 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Haven't played a violent video game for as long as I remember unless of course pacman devouring counts. Are we becoming a bit cold blooded. Resolution to an undesired offspring results in a somewhat violent act dependent on what side of the termination you are evaluating. AR weapons I'm sure is implemented in hunting for the sport of it (not). We have autocratic leaders annihilating their neighbor. Shooting every time you turn around. Is the casual acceptance of murder, theft, warfare and the like deteriorating morals. Has our regard for others deteriorated to the point that if you get pissed off or disillusioned as to any existence of morality that you grab a gun. Maybe as well as gun registration there should be a registry for purchases of excessively violent games. Do they set the culture.
You must beer have watched the Long Ranger, the Rifleman, Maverick, Hoot Gibson, John Wayne, the Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
We-ll, it's the disadvantage of such RP games. Advantage, points go to the one who takes the lead, takes the cake before the other guy can respond. It has been like that since, at least, Metagaming (what is now Steve Jackson Games) came into existence, decades ago.

That is, "you come around the corner and meet the Mercenary Zero and you,"--the dungeon master
"I STICK MY SWORD THROUGH HIM!"---the player before the DM says anything further.

While it often works in the game, in reality, there are several short comings.....but since in the game, the penalties of those short comings aren't painful, what difference does it make......what do we learn?

Finally, one has to appreciate a prime short coming of any game in that one already knows when they are in the action. The war has already started for someone. In the late Cold War, us junior officers often play NAVTAG, a terminal based computer game (terminals tied into a mini mainfarme) that had the first 5 minutes of the war. Each side's turn could last 30 minutes as they figured things out. So for a session that I was overseeing, at the beginning of the war, the Battleship New Jersey has a Soviet MOD Kashin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_Ka...lass_destroyer one mile off its port bow.

When I give others that scenario, I often hear, "My God! How did he get so close?" Well, 5 minutes ago, we weren't at war, our diplomats were rushing for a solution to maintain peace, and he could get that close......but now we are at war.

But what differs from reality to the game is that in the game, we know when the war starts. In reality, we don't until it does actually start so until the order is given of "guns free", we have that tension weighing over our heads.

But often in games, we don't have that weighing over our heads and if we goof, we won't be crucified for it........but we could be.

In a shipboard fire party drill, where terrorists had attacked the ship, I was the guard of a repair locker, armed with a .45. The tension was up, I hear approaching foot steps, a voice yells "Messenger" as it gets closer. Is it really the Messenger or an enemy approaching to toss a grenade in the locker. For some reason, I made the right decision, did not shoot the messenger .....but what do you think it would do to my reputation on the ship if I had blown away that crew member?

It is very easy to be super aggressive in a game where there is no penalty for such and everything to gain, very easy....when you don't have to pay the piper later for your mistakes.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:22 AM
Status: "Mike Johnson stand your ground" (set 22 hours ago)

939 posts, read 1,227,773 times
Well I hear you! I have had an incident recently where I felt I needed a gun. My driving path impeded by a teen. Fortunately putting car in drive was enough or I would have been front page News in Chester PA. My point is they say repetition is an effective learning method. Is the many who enjoy these violent games being indoctrinated to insensitivity and blatant disregard for "think before you act". When event in Chester unfolded strange things went through my mind. When you are on the other side of crime you may have to face the piper and criticism even though your actions may be well founded. It's the crazies who act without serious consideration that causes the many times prudent person to be regarded in the same manner as the lawless and reckless. This doesnt come in size, color, race or beliefs it's just there.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:08 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I think this is misdirection, using games as a scapegoat like politicians do rather than addressing bigger points. Being a psychopath or otherwise disregarding another person’s feelings or right to security comes from some combination of poor environment, bad parenting or chemical imbalances in the brain. Our nation’s highest crime rate occurred in the 1980s and early 90s, when the most violent video games were Duck Hint and Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.
If there is a bigger reason (other than gun access) that mass shootings are much more common now, social media influence/isolation and a lack of collective social responsibility (I.e. “we’re all in this together†sentiment) would be good starting points.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:19 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I say this on behalf of all the other CD users here who have read your post - What da heck are you talking about?
Extremely violent video games?
Studies says that they might affect the brain. People exposed to violent media have shown that they may become numb to violence, imitate the violence, and show more aggressive behavior.

https://www.brainfacts.org/neuroscie...in-101521:eek:

Old 05-31-2023, 06:03 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Studies says that they might affect the brain. People exposed to violent media have shown that they may become numb to violence, imitate the violence, and show more aggressive behavior.

Why didn't this happen in the 50's and 60's with the extremely violent Westerns and Cartoons?

Old 05-31-2023, 09:17 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

I remember the feminists complaints to Duke Nukem, 3D, of how it was very exploitative against women, such as offering the dancer money to open her bra.

Me, I didn't see the game like that.......but rather, how I was taught to do a sweep, both taught to me....and the tactics I developed for others. That is, for a Go-go dancer in the middle of floor, I ignored her and continued my sweep because I had been taught that "pretty little things" are decoys to draw one into the kill zone.................

..................and guess what it was in Duke Nukem, 3D.

So........one does wonder.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:03 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
1986 called and want's its misplaced outrage back.

I've been playing violent video games since the beginning. I never once lost site of the fact that killing people in real life is nothing like shooting pixels on a TV screen. Firmly believe violent children are grown the same way they've been grown since the beginning of time: parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games