Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 08:15 PM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Let me tell you how I see what's going to happen to us here; the despicable spineless party called the Democratic Party...
You're NOT a Democrat? Don't move to Vermont!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 07:53 AM

Seriously. At least not Burlington! By coincidence, I'm listening to a conversation with Sebastian Junger discussing his book "Tribe" - specifically, the lack of it in today's society - concerning exactly what we're discussing here. I agree with OP.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:12 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,840,029 times
Easy to paint whole picture as democrat, but there are nuances here believe it or not. Where I'm at in Franklin County it's evenly split 50/50 D & R. Our governor was recently named most popular in the US.

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/poll-...urvey/43656444

He may be a RINO by national standards, but he's not a democrat. I like him as I can't stand extreme pendulum swings on either side and he has the veto power to slow the democrat agenda in the legislature. If you're a staunch conservative, then yeah obviously Vermont is not your best option. But they are here and do make their presence known nonetheless. I lean center left and won't disagree on the spineless democrats remark, because it's true.

It's local municipal government where taxes and political policy are most palpable. Choose your town/city very carefully.

For the community aspects, I'm living in my fourth state as a resident so I see it more of a generational thing and less of a geographical one. That said New England as a whole is undeniably more reserved and a tougher nut to crack. It takes more work to get to know people here. But we're not immune to 21st century society here. Do a google or youtube search on dating, finding friends, & loneliness in the modern world and you'll find yourself in a very deep rabbit hole.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-24-2023 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-24-2023, 10:18 AM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,593 times
America (and maybe the rest of the world) has become so polarized. There seems so little middle ground, and it's probably because (as Champ and others mention) that we don't interact in person as much as we (as a society) did 10, 20, or 50 years ago -- we're all just online. Even here on CD. Yes, it seems generational, but I know younger folks who are just as isolated. I walk my dog and talk to strangers -- superficially. I don't know (or really care) if they're Republican or Democrat. But the relationship never seems to go beyond the casual conversations -- better than online babbling, but not warm and welcoming either. Perhaps most sadly, I've become OK with that. Kinda resigned that the dog, the garden, the home, the spouse is all I have and need now.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:09 PM

229 posts, read 317,534 times
You bet I'm not a democrat. I'm a Progressive, which means I mean to see implemented what the Dems, yes the spineless dems such as Obama, the clintons, etc... say they'd like to see implemented but will never fight.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:12 PM

So when the zombie apocalypse starts, you're going to try to cope all by yourself?

Old 04-30-2023, 06:25 AM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're NOT a Democrat? Don't move to Vermont!
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seriously. At least not Burlington! By coincidence, I'm listening to a conversation with Sebastian Junger discussing his book "Tribe" - specifically, the lack of it in today's society - concerning exactly what we're discussing here. I agree with OP.
Would you believe Vermont was one of the two states that voted against FDR and for Alf Landon in 1936? At that time my parents/grandparents were ardent FDR supporters. They could not have known that FDR would eventually go rogue.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Would you believe Vermont was one of the two states that voted against FDR and for Alf Landon in 1936? At that time my parents/grandparents were ardent FDR supporters. They could not have known that FDR would eventually go rogue.
Vermont used to be very conservative; no more. Maybe a few rural pockets, but not the more populated cities.

Old 04-30-2023, 02:36 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
You bet I'm not a democrat. I'm a Progressive, which means I mean to see implemented what the Dems, yes the spineless dems such as Obama, the clintons, etc... say they'd like to see implemented but will never fight.
The progressive party lost seats in Burlington to the democrats.

Old 04-30-2023, 05:13 PM

yeah, the Progressive Party is dying anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont