Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 09:44 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

What inspired you to give up animal products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 07:19 PM

246 posts, read 123,776 times
Someone sent me a PETA packet. I gave up animal products after reading about a quarter of the materials. I couldn't read any more. My heart was too broken.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:54 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I had vegan friends back in the early 90s who influenced me for moral reasons. I started eating fish and dairy products in the mid-2000s, but finally went back to fully vegan in 2020 and plan to stay that way. During my non-vegan phase it was more for practical purposes (traveling, non-veg spouse) but always told myself I wanted to go back because I ethically am opposed to the dairy industry and it’s exploitation, plus the harm fishing is doing to the ocean (plastic pollution, sealife depopulation) was motivation enough.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:39 AM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Can't eat whom I love

Old 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
Someone sent me a PETA packet. I gave up animal products after reading about a quarter of the materials. I couldn't read any more. My heart was too broken.
Respect

Old 09-09-2023, 01:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Donald Watson (see internet) and a lot of youtube videos. Vegan 9 years, 30 as a vegetarian. The videos shocked me and I began to hate my own species as a result. Our planet is in trouble due to the sheer numbers of factory farms, and feed lots, manure ponds, slaughterhouses, and add to that the methane leaks coming from Siberian Permafrost Methane. (TV show about it online, a real eye opener). I want to thank all of you who really "get it" and don't make fun of mother nature. We have serious problems. One disaster after the next. Tread as lightly as you can, and don't forget to rescue bugs, and other critters if you can make them happy. People laugh at me sometimes for having empathy, but It's water off a duck's back as they say. Empathy as a gift. Hard nosed people who only think of themselves are boring.

Old 09-20-2023, 03:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
went vegan about two years ago thanks to twitter. the vegan lane ran into the animal rights lane. even learned how to cook! you don't eat animals if you say you love them. everything we were taught about nutrition is a lie. animals are not food. if it's wrong to eat a dog it is also wrong to eat a cow. twitter explains all these things very well. the channel on youtube i agree with the most is eli martyr fruitarian. we are primates. they eat FRUIT. raw fruit. i'm not "there" yet but one day soon. animals are not food. they are not entertainment. they are not free labor. they are not clothes.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:52 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
Watched documentaries on the subject. Forks Over Knives and What The Health and a few more on Netflix. By the next
morning I started my vegan diet and that was over 5 yrs ago. My blood work is now perfect when I have labs done! It's a win win! No more prepping dead animals with blood all over my counters. It's not only a health issue but it's a humanatarian one also. Poor animals. Care to buy some beef that had puss on it hanging in the meat plant?

Old 10-12-2023, 01:54 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
I've been various forms of vegetarian/vegan since I was 15. I think I was probably influenced by environmental concerns, watching MTV, either shows or interviews with singers/bands I liked who promoted it, so I probably thought it was 'cool' at the time. It just became a lifestyle choice that stuck with me. I generally don't openly talk about my dietary choices because invariably there's going to be some idiot who starts railing on PETA or tells me that not eating meat is bad for the economy, or that I must be of a certain political persuasion. Ridiculous. I don't have time for that.

I was vegan for a long stretch, but as my life and tastes changed, so did my diet. I do eat eggs regularly, and white meat or fish occasionally, like maybe a special meal if I go out to eat or at someone's home. No red meat and nothing fatty. I had horrible skin when I was younger and finally around age 25 I completely cut out dairy products and the acne/oily skin went away. I have remained non-dairy to this day.

I think our modern factory farms and slaughterhouses are absolutely disgusting. Horrific filth pits that cause so much pollution. The people that work in these places must end up with a lot of scars - both physical and emotional. I don't want to support that system. I get my eggs (and some veggies) from a local farm maybe 10 miles away, and I can see where the food is coming from.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:00 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I started reading books first. Then watched movies, videos, documentaries, etc. I just started LEARNING. I think "where your food comes from" should be a class in school that all kids/students should take. Then they can make the informed choices. I learned at age 50 - that's way too late in life to learn truths.

I eat seafoods (some). I'm not perfect; i do the best i can, and i try to educate people. I do it for the animals and for my health. I tell people they can choose one reason or the other, or both. And start with one meal a day, or one day a week. Or certain animal products. I just wish people would TRY. Again i say, you don't have to be PERFECT with it. Just learn where your food comes from, and how. And do the best you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food