Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times

Advertisements

As long as no animals are being harvested, except maybe for a little bit of muscle tissue that wouldn't hurt the animal that much, I think artificial meat is ethically ok. It is different from meat analogues in that it actually contains the meat cells, just not from living animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
It's not for me at all but if it in some way reduces the pain and suffering of animals, then it's a good thing. I am all about reducing harm and the fact that it was made from the stem cells if a fetal calf pales in comparison to the horrible suffering endured by countless animals on a daily basis.

Still, I have no personal desire to bite into animal, taste blood fat or gristle. When I ate meat I hated those things.

Vegetarians would not be their customers, howeverhere is a huge customer base to be found in meat eaters who feel guilty about eating meat but for one reason or another, can not stop.

I think this will be a good alternative. Perhaps not so much for older confirmed meat eaters, but I know college aged people are excited about it.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This has maybe been discussed before, but I just read an article in Popular Science about the growing research into artificial meat. It said that artificial meat should soon be out on the market. While it doesn't mimic meat exactly, neither does a hot dog or McDonalds patty. If eaten with other things, it could closely pass as meat, yet no animal would be killed in the process and it is much more efficient than current animal raising techniques.

Would you try it?
How are they defining artificial meat? Back when they were forced to by the food industry, Morningstar billed its products as "artificial sausage" and "artificial meat patties" and la de da. Those are fine to eat. Do they mean test-tube meat cells? Pink plastic goo? What's in it?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's not for me at all but if it in some way reduces the pain and suffering of animals, then it's a good thing. I am all about reducing harm and the fact that it was made from the stem cells if a fetal calf pales in comparison to the horrible suffering endured by countless animals on a daily basis.

Still, I have no personal desire to bite into animal, taste blood fat or gristle. When I ate meat I hated those things.

Vegetarians would not be their customers, howeverhere is a huge customer base to be found in meat eaters who feel guilty about eating meat but for one reason or another, can not stop.

I think this will be a good alternative. Perhaps not so much for older confirmed meat eaters, but I know college aged people are excited about it.
This, and it would be much cheaper. It's cheaper to grow your meat in a lab than to grow it in a livestock pen and throw out the parts you don't want such as methane, manure, bones, brains...

Currently, I think there are two approaches. One is to take ingredients such as soy and amaranth and combine them to make a very meat like substance, more like a truer meat analogue. The other way is to actually reconstruct a animal muscle from lab grown animal cells. So kind of like you are growing or printing your chicken thigh as it would be in nature, just without the rest of the chicken.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,086 times
Quote:
This, and it would be much cheaper. It's cheaper to grow your meat in a lab than to grow it in a livestock pen and throw out the parts you don't want such as methane, manure, bones, brains...

Currently, I think there are two approaches. One is to take ingredients such as soy and amaranth and combine them to make a very meat like substance, more like a truer meat analogue. The other way is to actually reconstruct a animal muscle from lab grown animal cells. So kind of like you are growing or printing your chicken thigh as it would be in nature, just without the rest of the chicken.
I don't know if i agree with the "its cheaper to grow your meat in a lab" part. That lab burger cost $330,000+. But we all know it will get cheaper.
I know that manure and bones are not "throw out parts". Manure is applied back to fields for fertilizer, and bones are used for stock and many other things. Actually very little goes to waste. Some are using methane to heat buildings. we have looked into it but the cost/new technology is just not cost effective.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
As long as no animals are being harvested, except maybe for a little bit of muscle tissue that wouldn't hurt the animal that much, I think artificial meat is ethically ok. It is different from meat analogues in that it actually contains the meat cells, just not from living animals.

That's how I feel.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I don't know if i agree with the "its cheaper to grow your meat in a lab" part. That lab burger cost $330,000+. But we all know it will get cheaper.
I know that manure and bones are not "throw out parts". Manure is applied back to fields for fertilizer, and bones are used for stock and many other things. Actually very little goes to waste. Some are using methane to heat buildings. we have looked into it but the cost/new technology is just not cost effective.
Well, once they get the process started, the cost of lab grown meat should be the cost of ingredients plus manufacturing, which should not cost as much as the 4 to 1 ratio of food for animals plus housing them plus butchering them. You get a 1 to 1 ratio of ingredients to meat with lab grown meat. The manufacturing process should be relatively quick.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
I like the idea for carnivorous animals in sanctuaries. It's better than feeder animals where possible. Domestic pets can also partake. Donor cell animals should be given the best treatment available. Sunlight, freedom to move at will. As for humans, the meat will be pricey, and can't be made in sufficient quantities to be "practical" in my estimation. I am an abolitionist when it comes to slaughtering animals. 3 extra inches in a cage is a mockery when associated with "humane" treatment. Welfarists do not mean well, and baby steps waste too much time.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:46 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,028,504 times
mRNA injected pork is already here, beef is next and there is little effective resistance to this poisonous notion:

https://thelibertydaily.com/beef-com...injected-meat/

Old 02-18-2024, 09:19 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Would I try it? Sure.
My entire opposition to eating meat centers around the torture of animals on factory farms and industrial feedlots.

Meat is sold that does not come from "factory farms and industrial feedlots."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food