Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,463 times

Advertisements

Just came back from a trip to Seattle and Vancouver. Both are great cities by the way. Just curious as to what Vancouverites think of Seattle. We actually spent several days in Van, then drove down to Seattle for the day. I really liked the compactness of Vancouver, the Asian restaurants, the surrounding mountains. Seattles downtown seemed more big city and exciting and unbelievably clean. Loved the surrounding neighbourhoods in Seattle like Queen Anne hill, wasnt too impressed with Capital Hill but maybe we didnt know where to go. Architecture-wise, I think Seattle is more interesting because everything is not all that glass sameness. Although, sometimes I was amazed at the glassiness views in and around Vancouver. It looks so modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Looks like Vancouverites don't care much about Seattle

Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Nah, I wouldn't say that. I don't think anybody's saying anything because no questions were asked.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
OP, if you want answers, please ask questions. What do you want to know?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
I am not a Vancouverite- I live in the Seattle area (only lived here 4 months so far), and have visited Vancouver. I must say both cities are amazing- so clean, so absolutely beautiful in regards to the natural setting with water, mountains, trees, etc. Vancouver is more compact, is closer to the mountains giving it even more of a dramatic setting than Seattle has. Vancouver felt very worldly when we were there- felt like we were in one of the WORLD's great cities, whereas Seattle- which I absolutely love- just feels more like one of AMERICA's greatest cities. Not sure if that makes sense or not?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I am not a Vancouverite- I live in the Seattle area (only lived here 4 months so far), and have visited Vancouver. I must say both cities are amazing- so clean, so absolutely beautiful in regards to the natural setting with water, mountains, trees, etc. Vancouver is more compact, is closer to the mountains giving it even more of a dramatic setting than Seattle has. Vancouver felt very worldly when we were there- felt like we were in one of the WORLD's great cities, whereas Seattle- which I absolutely love- just feels more like one of AMERICA's greatest cities. Not sure if that makes sense or not?
I agree with your perspective. Vancouver does have a more cosmopolitan feel. In some ways even more bustling than Seattle although it is smaller in metro size.

Alot of it has to do with Vancouver in its respective country (Canada) being one of its biggest cities, whereas Seattle is big but not one of the biggest American cities.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 57,556 times
Both are great, or should I say, fantastic cities separated by about 2 hours via I-5 (longer if the peace arch crossing is clogged). Living in Seattle, I make that drive about 3-4 times a year (twice as often as I visit Portland which is roughly the same travel time away) simply because of the "cosmopolitan vibe" that pervades in Vancouver. It truly embodies the definition of an international city with over half of all Vancouverites born abroad, and this is reflected in the myriad of ethnic restaurants and specialty themed shopping centers found throughout the city.

The new Canada Line subway runs under Robson Street and interchanges/transfers with the Sky Train and (future) UBC lines. This is one metro transit aspect that we lack down in Seattle and contributes to many of our traffic problems.

Moreover, Vancouver is very close to Whistler/Blackcomb, which is arguable the BEST ski area in the world. Seattle has much smaller resorts of lesser quality.

Still, Seattle offers many more big box shopping centers like the Walmart Super Center in Tulalip, Babies R Us in Lynnwood, and the Seattle Premium Outlets also in Tulalip. Vancouverits know this and often make day trips down to do thier shopping and visit friends at the same time. All said, Seattle has more of a "big city feel" whereas Vancouver has more of a resort destination appeal.

I think the two cities more or less compliment one another, rather than compete with eachother.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleite2007 View Post
I think the two cities more or less compliment one another, rather than compete with eachother.
I agree. They have more simalarities than differences. I think Vancouver has more in common with its US counterparts Seattle and San Francisco than it does Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal.

I like downtown Seattle better than Vancouvers downtown. Downtown Seattle seems to have a more character with it's architecture, history, and atmosphere. Vancouver is is more post modern as it seems most of the infrastructure is post 1980's. It's just different. Like Seattle, Vancouver has alot of great surrounding neighborhoods with character.

Seattle has better freeway access, Vancouver has better mass transit. I prefer the sunsets in Seattle over the Olympic mountains, but I have to say Stanley Park is the city park I have ever seen and I've travelled all over. Hard choice. When I lived in Seattle I visited both Portland and Vancouver quite a bit. It was nice to get out of town and have access to 2 other great cities close by beside all the majesty of the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
I think Seattle has more attractions. Vancouver is more culturally diverse and more compact, whereas Seattle is sprawling and undeniably American. Seattleites would counter that they can easily hop on a plane to Salt Lake or Denver or Vail and get even better skiing than Whistler (I personally love Whistler).

Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
I think they're extremely different as cities, though both being within Cascadia there are of course similarities. And there is a fairly strong economic connection, not quite so much a social one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver