Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 10:19 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times

Advertisements

I lived in Vancouver, New West. and Maple Ridge in the 70s to 1990 and loved it. I haven't been there since only because my life took a different direction. How has it changed in your opinion? I have been told I wouldn't recognize it now.

I bought a house there at 62nd & Knight for $100K in 1983. Yeah and sold it for $130K. Obviously it was before property hit the astronomical prices they are now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 11:46 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Population has grown in Metro Vancouver since 1990. It was 1,559,000 when you left. It is now 2,632,000. So over a million. Everything from the airport to transportation and housing has changed.

This of course means more housing and improvements on the freeway outside of the city. That funny awkward change from Highway 1 going east, to Maple Ridge is now very streamlined.

There have been many changes to the area. Skytrain has more lines including to to Port Moody and beyond. Both Maple Ridge and New West have more condo buildings, with Maple Ridge seemingly sticking to mostly 4 floors. Maple Ridge used to feel rather horsey back in 1990, not so now, but it's still pleasant, but much busier.

Development around some Skytrain hubs has boomed. Some are new created like Marine Drive with new stores, new towers and amenities. There are a few of these.

Then you have the redevelopment of some Skytrain hubs, like Brentwood Mall in Burnaby.

https://tinyurl.com/bdt585z8

Or Oakridge which is currently under construction is is HUGE.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ent-exclusive/

Downtown Vancouver has seen new neighbourhoods created since 1990. Coal Harbour, Yaletown, Olympic Village, etc. The seawall has been extended connecting all of these. It's 29k goes from Canada Place, around Stanley Park, past Sunset Beach, through Yaletown to Science World, onto the Olympic Village, to Granville Island. After Granville Island it becomes a dirt pathway to Kits beach, then becomes a bike lane all the way to UBC. The Granville Island to UBC is not counted in the 29k.

What this means that downtown feels more cohesive for walkers and bikers. Plus many new bike lanes, some protected have been built and are being use. The Mobi bike share program is very successful.

You would see a lot of changes. Too many to list, but suffice to say you would still recognize the West End, with it's variety of apartment blocks and tree lined streets. West of Denman, really hasn't changed at all. Kits is still Kits.

IMO I think in many ways Vancouver has improved. The empty pockets that existed downtown have been filled with new parks, shops and condo's. The last bit near Science World had some legal ownership issues that have now been resolved, so that will be the next bit done.

Some will always be moaning about the old days, but no city stays still. Or at least a growing city.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Wow a million more people in the last 30 years. Man that's something.

The extended seawall sounds great.

You mentioned Denman Street. I lived on Denman and Nelson and worked at Smittys on the corner at Robson. That was in 1972-3. Is it still there?

Thanks for explaining the changes.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:00 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
From the Google map.
On Robson / Denman, there are Ukrainian Village restaurant, Mexican restaurant, Starbucks and Safeway.

Btw, thanks for the tips on choosing ground meat.
Attached Thumbnails
What would you say has changed most since 1990 in Vancouver?-3_robson.jpg   What would you say has changed most since 1990 in Vancouver?-2_robson.jpg   What would you say has changed most since 1990 in Vancouver?-1_809-denman.jpg  

Old 10-01-2022, 09:12 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
edit:
I forgot the Korean hotdog, Mr Cool Doanir, and Thirstyyy
Attached Thumbnails
What would you say has changed most since 1990 in Vancouver?-4_robson.jpg  

Old 10-14-2022, 03:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Wow a million more people in the last 30 years. Man that's something.

The extended seawall sounds great.

You mentioned Denman Street. I lived on Denman and Nelson and worked at Smittys on the corner at Robson. That was in 1972-3. Is it still there?

Thanks for explaining the changes.
I wasn't visiting Denman back then, but can say there is no Smitty's there now.

The seawall is great. Always recommend people rent bikes and ride the whole thing. It gives you a real sense of Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver