Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:09 AM

46 posts, read 46,674 times

Advertisements

Hi Canadians,

American here that loves your country. Sorry, know you get a lot of those and other immigrants that probably drive up your prices. Live in TX and have seen the same happen to my state.

I promise we will be a wonderful, positive addition to your country and city though if we move.

I’ve been looking to get out of TX for a while and LOVE the natural beauty of the BC region. I know, everyone does.

We are looking for a community, in N America, that meets the following criteria ($ is in USD)::

-Upper middle class
-beautiful views hills/mountains AND waterfront homes
-walkable with preferably a small town atmosphere walk to library, coffee shops, etc
-moderate temps (70-80s)
-Don’t have an office job, business owner about to sell and investor so can “work” from anywhere. May dabble in commercial development if I want.
-budget max $6MN, comfortably under $4MN. We will buy on the water ideally.
-Young kids. Public or private school is fine
-great eateries nearby
-SAFE and secure

What are some good options to consider?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 12:41 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
Hi Canadians,

American here that loves your country. Sorry, know you get a lot of those and other immigrants that probably drive up your prices. Live in TX and have seen the same happen to my state.

I promise we will be a wonderful, positive addition to your country and city though if we move.

I’ve been looking to get out of TX for a while and LOVE the natural beauty of the BC region. I know, everyone does.

We are looking for a community, in N America, that meets the following criteria ($ is in USD)::

-Upper middle class
-walkable with preferably a small town atmosphere walk to library, coffee shops, etc
-moderate temps (70-80s)
-Don’t have an office job, business owner about to sell and investor so can “work” from anywhere. May dabble in commercial development if I want.
-great eateries nearby
-SAFE and secure

Thank you!
Somewhere in your own country, perhaps.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 46,674 times
Leave it to a Canadian (presumably) to be unhelpful with a smile.

I’m sorry, the secrets out and you guys have to share now. LOL.

No dice on which areas would be suitable? Maybe someone else? Forrest…

Old 06-05-2022, 09:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Isn't Canada banning home purchases by foreigners for 2 years?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2022, 10:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Isn't Canada banning home purchases by foreigners for 2 years?
Yup.

And the OP should go on the IRCC's website to see if they are even eligible to apply to move to Canada before they start thinking of where they would like to live.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-05-2022 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Old 06-05-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup.

And the OP should go on the IRCC's website to see if they are eligible to apply to move to Canada before they start thinking of where they would like to live.
It may be just me, but if I could afford a 6M house, I would be using a professional and not posting here. No offense to CD.

I had looked at the process of Canadian citizenship and it seems like as a retiree it is pretty much a no go. I was just curious, so a cursory look at the process.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:23 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
Hi Canadians,

-Upper middle class
-moderate temps (70-80s)
-great eateries nearby
-SAFE and secure

Thank you!
Are you planning on becoming a Canadian citizen?

Old 06-05-2022, 11:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It may be just me, but if I could afford a 6M house, I would be using a professional and not posting here. No offense to CD.

I had looked at the process of Canadian citizenship and it seems like as a retiree it is pretty much a no go. I was just curious, so a cursory look at the process.
No, they don't want retirees because we have have never paid taxes but might be a burden on the healthcare system. I am here because I am in a relationship with a Canadian. He is seriously ill now, so I apply to stay for compassionate reasons six months at a time. I was just granted such an extension.

It helps that I have a solid, verifiable income and health insurance I can use if I become sick while I am here.

Since I met my bf five years ago and started coming here, American friends have constantly asked me if I plan to move here, as if one can simply DECIDE to move to Canada and just go.

We had planned to wed and apply for permanent residency for me, then this thing hit him out of nowhere, so now I am in temporary resident limbo.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:39 AM

I had seen that in other posts, and I'm so sorry MQ, just no words.

We have both verifiable income and private healthcare insurance, but it still looked like it would be a very long process, with us being a very low priority, if approved at all. We weren't interested in the Canadian benefit system, but I do understand the requirements.

I WAS a bit surprised that it was much harder than I thought it would be.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:00 PM

219 posts, read 160,900 times
I can’t think of a community that is predominantly upper middle class except sections of West Vancouver and Victoria that give you a chance at mountain views and waterfront. And generally I don’t remember them being very pedestrian friendly.

Is this temperature preference a year round thing or just a summer thing. I’d say your best chance of finding a place is to start checking out communities on Vancouver Island, Coastal communities, Mountain communities and maybe the Kootenays. Most of the Wiki pages will give you an idea of industry, average temps and economic status. You can also check out the cities’ and towns’ websites to get some idea of amenities.

DH’s dream location was Nelson but even though it’s average winter temps were above freezing it could get as cold as up here. Also the poverty rate is twice the provincial average so it’s beautifully restored walkable downtown and Kootenay lakefront nestled in the mountains doesn’t fulfil your list.

I can’t be more helpful then that because your first and fourth conditions eliminate everywhere I know best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver