Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2022, 08:59 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times

Advertisements

I'm just returning to UT after an extended road trip through the southwest. Gas prices are at least $1 more than NM and AZ, often $1.50. What's up with that??? I guess Biden is singling us out for the sins of Trump or Mike Lee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 12:39 PM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
I just drove through NM last week and you are right over $4.00 in Utah and I was paying as low as 3.05 in NM. I do think there was a deal whereby the Native American tribes could sell gas and therefore kept the price down maybe as they didnt have to charge state taxes?

But even in other states I paid no more than 3.50. Mn,Nb,co,iowa texas.

Im sure other nice things in Utah will compensate you for the extra expense.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I'm just returning to UT after an extended road trip through the southwest. Gas prices are at least $1 more than NM and AZ, often $1.50. What's up with that??? I guess Biden is singling us out for the sins of Trump or Mike Lee.
Its because of the market here and because people in Utah tolerate it.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:37 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its because of the market here and because people in Utah tolerate it.
OK..., Utah tolerates it.
I assume you are talking about the common man...
What then could the inhabitants of Utah could do against it?

You can not get angry and stop buying gasoline...
Even if you get a whole bunch of people to do it for a day.

Only a federal government's decision might get some result...
So..., maybe staging some peaceful demonstrations in front of government buildings may get some results.

That "may" show if the local government is raising prices by adding more taxes to the whole deal.
Are we sure that the increased cost is due to the oil supplier, or is there some other "force" in play?
Why is gasoline cheaper in some States and way expensive for instance in California?
Why is "diesel" fuel in some areas of the world cheaper than gasoline and in some other places diesel is more expensive than gasoline?
Why is "untreated" gasoline so much more expensive than alcohol-treated gasoline?
If you add stuff, should it not be more expensive than if you do not add something?

If we know that slowing down our driving speed will save gasoline usage, why then, do most people drive was faster than the posted limits? I guess you said it already, "because people in Utah tolerate it."

Old 09-28-2022, 07:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

So..., maybe staging some peaceful demonstrations in front of government buildings may get some results.

That "may" show if the local government is raising prices by adding more taxes to the whole deal.
Are we sure that the increased cost is due to the oil supplier, or is there some other "force" in play?
Why is gasoline cheaper in some States and way expensive for instance in California?
Why is "diesel" fuel in some areas of the world cheaper than gasoline and in some other places diesel is more expensive than gasoline?
Why is "untreated" gasoline so much more expensive than alcohol-treated gasoline?
If you add stuff, should it not be more expensive than if you do not add something?

If we know that slowing down our driving speed will save gasoline usage, why then, do most people drive was faster than the posted limits? I guess you said it already, "because people in Utah tolerate it."
Its a little more complicated. I believe much of the reason gasoline costs so much more in Utah than it does in other states has something to do with price fixing. I've always suspected this goes on. When you come to an intersection and you see a gas station on each corner and the price is absolutely identical what conclusion should you draw? Some people would say "well that's the market price and that's why they all want the same amount of money for the product." My reaction to that is BS. Competition isn't supposed to work that way. Its supposed to result in lower prices for consumers as stations lower prices below what the competitor charges to obtain a larger share of the market.

If we had a real attorney general in this state rather than one who is simply a puppet for the majority political party, you would see an effort to conduct investigations against gas stations and oil companies. That's what is missing in Utah. No one even makes an attempt to investigate petroleum pricing. We still have some gas stations charging well over $4 a gallon. Gasoline in San Antonio, Texas is available for under $3 a gallon at many stations.

State fuel taxes are a small and negligible part of the cost of gasoline in Utah.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/...0540%20gallons.

When I say "Utah tolerates it" this is what I am saying. I would bet simply the act of investigating petroleum pricing here would push prices down. Don't count on that happening though. In Utah, business can do no wrong.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:53 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
I live in Oregon and our gas is outrageous
I think it is about $4.59 for regular and add $.30 more for premium. . Some places are even higher. We are driving to the coast this weekend and I'll try to remember how much gas is (take a picture with my phone).

Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

This is your politics rather than brain speaking. NM and other states have the same Federal Government as Utah. So, the price difference across the states can hardly be laid on the Federal Govt. Utah has $0.319 /gallon gas tax, NM has $0.19 / gallon gas tax. Rest is something along the lines of what markg91359 suggests.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:42 PM

and meanwhile, I'm traveling in Connecticut. Gas is $3.49 at national brand stations, $3.19 at no-name-o stations. Go Biden go!

Old 10-08-2022, 06:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
and meanwhile, I'm traveling in Connecticut. Gas is $3.49 at national brand stations, $3.19 at no-name-o stations. Go Biden go!
You must be seeing rising prices. The tri-state area is going up almost daily.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You must be seeing rising prices. The tri-state area is going up almost daily.
Rising prices are occurring everywhere. I'm watching here. Will be in Mass later this week and am curious to see what's going on there. Regardless, the point is that it still seem to be about a buck less than Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: