Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 04:00 PM

2,962 posts, read 1,638,645 times

Advertisements

The question of why we call ourselves Americans and what an alternative could be is interesting and meant for another discussion.

What I was wondering was why so many people from the UK use "America " instead of US. It just seems shorter simpler and easier than saying America.

A bunch of Beatles nostalgia has been coming through the news feed, in some of it Paul says "America" referring to their first tour, the first appearance, etc. in the US. And it reminded me of my experience in the UK. When people hear my accent they tell me about the number of relatives who moved to America not the US.

Or they'll say "from America?" I get "from Canada?" too.

One man thought I sounded like I was from Mississippi, he'd spent a few years there and loved the accent

One lady at Dover Castle was fascinated that Americans would take the time to see it or even be interested in it. Just for WWII alone the castle, the grounds and the area would be of interest to most Americans.

But for those of us with British heritage the rich complex history of Dover is our heritage too. Just because we ran away from home and joined the circus it doesn't mean we didn't take our genetic and cultural heritage with us.

My question wasn't any sort of criticism at all, but one of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 04:13 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
The question of why we call ourselves Americans and what an alternative could be is interesting and meant for another discussion.

What I was wondering was why so many people from the UK use "America " instead of US. It just seems shorter simpler and easier than saying America.

A bunch of Beatles nostalgia has been coming through the news feed, in some of it Paul says "America" referring to their first tour, the first appearance, etc. in the US. And it reminded me of my experience in the UK. When people hear my accent they tell me about the number of relatives who moved to America not the US.

Or they'll say "from America?" I get "from Canada?" too.

One man thought I sounded like I was from Mississippi, he'd spent a few years there and loved the accent

One lady at Dover Castle was fascinated that Americans would take the time to see it or even be interested in it. Just for WWII alone the castle, the grounds and the area would be of interest to most Americans.

But for those of us with British heritage the rich complex history of Dover is our heritage too. Just because we ran away from home and joined the circus it doesn't mean we didn't take our genetic and cultural heritage with us.

My question wasn't any sort of criticism at all, but one of curiosity.
People in Britain do use US when referring to the country however when it comes to referring to the countries citizens they are collectively known as Americans.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:28 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
What would you like us to call you ?
You can call me anything you want.. as long as you don't call me late for dinner..

And I have no problem with being called a Yank. But that's probably because I am a Yank.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
There's another United States in North America.

Estados Unidos Mexicanos

Old 07-26-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There's another United States in North America.

Estados Unidos Mexicanos
That's Central America.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:24 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
That's Central America.
Beg to differ Mexico along with the US and Canada are North America

Old 07-26-2023, 05:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
People in Britain do use US when referring to the country however when it comes to referring to the countries citizens they are collectively known as Americans.
Yes, Britain's live in the UK.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:55 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think nowadays I hear The States more than America.
That was what my father would say many years ago. I would have thought it a bit old fashioned.

We are generally specific, as in we are going to eg San Francisco, or sometimes the US, but the adjective in common use everywhere is American. It is too awkward to talk about “US hamburgers” as an example.

We have a linguistic issue here in that people often talk about Queenslanders, Victorians, Tasmanian. But for the most populous state, NSW, “ New South Welshmen” is regarded as sexist these days so ends up being “people from NSW” which is awkward.

Language needs to be usable, and preferably concise.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:08 PM

"Central America" may mean different things to various people, based upon different contexts:

The non-official United Nations geoscheme for the Americas defines Central America as all states of mainland North America south of the United States, hence grouping Mexico as part of Central America for statistics purposes, but historically Mexico was considered part of North America. Wiki
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...orth%20America.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Yes, Britain's live in the UK.
Wouldn't that be Britons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom