Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 04:53 AM

39 posts, read 53,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Northumbria is an old Ancient Kingdom usually linked to the Saxons, and which covered North East England including parts of South East Scotland and parts of Yorkshire.

It's the equivalent of calling the Midlands Mercia or the South West Wessex etc.

There are lots of important local county identities within the term Northumbria, which is an entirely separate term to Northumberland, which is a county in itself.

Ancient Saxon Kingdoms -

The actual traditional counties of Great Britain - minus the 1974 metropolitan areas.
Very true, but Northumbria means a lot of different things based on the time period and context in general.

In the 21st century, when somebody says 'Northumbria', they are probably referring to a broadly defined cultural region of England, sometimes synonymous with the North East (= the trad counties of Northumberland and Durham), but often also including all/part of Cumbria, sometimes northern Yorkshire, and occasionally north Lancashire.

It's used in the names of various companies. Northumbrian Water, for example, is the main water company covering all of trad Durham and Northumberland, plus parts of North Yorkshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 01:29 PM

106 posts, read 58,054 times
North

Old 11-20-2023, 03:19 PM

2,442 posts, read 903,135 times
In the matter of people I far prefer the northern folk.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:44 PM

16,735 posts, read 17,514,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
What part(s) of England still have a traditional/native population feel to them?

Maybe Cumbria. I stayed up there this year and enjoyed chatting to the locals about farming matters. Very friendly lot. Beautiful scenery too.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:38 PM

580 posts, read 310,932 times
Best? My, that is subjective. I'd be happy to live pretty much anywhere in England.

We emigrated in 1956 from Upminster, Essex to South Carolina. When I was enrolled in school, the first recess I was surrounded by all the boys, who asked: where am I from ( as in, am I a northerner ( yankee ) or southerner ( rebel ). I said England. They asked: northern England or southern England. I answered southern England. Fortunately. Otherwise they would have beaten me to a pulp.

Of course they had no idea what "England" was, they just cared that I was a southerner. Things are a bit different now.

Old 01-01-2024, 12:51 PM

2,442 posts, read 903,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Best? My, that is subjective. I'd be happy to live pretty much anywhere in England.

We emigrated in 1956 from Upminster, Essex to South Carolina. When I was enrolled in school, the first recess I was surrounded by all the boys, who asked: where am I from ( as in, am I a northerner ( yankee ) or southerner ( rebel ). I said England. They asked: northern England or southern England. I answered southern England. Fortunately. Otherwise they would have beaten me to a pulp.

Of course they had no idea what "England" was, they just cared that I was a southerner. Things are a bit different now.
I was dragged south to Sussex from Yorkshire when I was fifteen. The kids at my new school made fun of my accent. It took a couple of head butts to bring about a radical adjustment in attitude

Old 01-02-2024, 11:39 AM

16,735 posts, read 17,514,161 times
I've lived in Wiltshire, Yorkshire, Gloucestershire, London, Dorset and Hampshire. All have good and bad bits, though I would say that Dorset has very few bad bits. People all over are generally good. As a very broad point the North is cheaper overall.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:23 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,548,132 times
I live in the US, but originally from Gloucestershire, but have lived for short periods in London and Surrey. I have been all over the UK and ROI. Many nice places. My favourite places are Devon and the Yorkshire Dales. I would only consider living in the south because of the weather. Unfortunately, the south of England is much more expensive than the north. Most of my family live in Glos and the Bristol area, so I would gravitate to those areas. Shropshire and Herefordshire are also v nice.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:23 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,680,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The North of England is also very beautiful, and you have areas such as the Peak District, Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors, the Lake District and Northumberland National Park.

The Pennine Way being a famous walking path across the North.

I have lived in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Kent, Anglia, Norfolk, Birmingham and London. I have traveled pretty much everywhere in England, Wales, Scotland and even to Ireland during the 4 years I lived there. The most gorgeous place that I would like to visit again and possibly live is the Skipton/ Steeton / Keighley area and the Dales in Yorkshire. Stunning and charming. London is just another big city like NYC or LA. The Dales of Yorkshire are unique, like the outback of Australia.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:34 AM

27,534 posts, read 13,750,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I have lived in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Kent, Anglia, Norfolk, Birmingham and London. I have traveled pretty much everywhere in England, Wales, Scotland and even to Ireland during the 4 years I lived there. The most gorgeous place that I would like to visit again and possibly live is the Skipton/ Steeton / Keighley area and the Dales in Yorkshire. Stunning and charming. London is just another big city like NYC or LA. The Dales of Yorkshire are unique, like the outback of Australia.

In northern England you have the Derbyshire Peaks, West Pennine Moors (Lancashire) Yorkshire Dales/Durham Dales, North York Moors, Cumbrian Lakes, Northumberland Cheviots etc and some stunning areas.

The North and many parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland are often more rugged than some parts of Southern England although even in the South you have wild places such as Dartmoor and Exmoor, as well as the more gentile Cotswolds, Mendips, Chilterns Sussex Downs etc, as well as the flatter plains of Eastern England and the Norfolk broads.

Neighbouring France is also a beautiful country, and there are some good places to walk and sight see across Europe as well as in the US, so it's worthwhile moving beyond just visiting cities and tourist traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom