Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 636 times

Advertisements

I am in RI. I was denied due to being no evidence that my job environment being unsuitable and not taking steps to keep my job. I walked out of my job due to constantly being harassed while I was on the toilet. My co workers were shutting the lights off on me and banging on the door and turning the lights on and off on me on a daily basis a couple times per day and making nasty comments to me all the time also making me very uncomfortable. My supervisor who was one of the people doing this to me and would ask why I was in the toilet a lot and I told him I would get stomach aches but the abuse continued.

I also told unemployment I was being pressured to use the forklift when I was told I didn't have to use it before I took the job. I was never trained or certified to use it but would keep getting pressured to use it. I did not.

I forgot to tell unemployment the last 2 months I worked there I was only getting paid for 34 hours instead of 40. We worked 34 but got paid for 40, I was told this is how it would be before I started the job, but then 2 months ago I only got paid 34 and nobody ever told me they were going to do this. Should I mention this to appeal this?

So, should I appeal this and can I win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 02:58 PM

34,183 posts, read 83,333,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rihelp View Post
I quit my job and denied unemployment.?
I bet you won't ever quit a job again.Call this an object lesson.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 636 times
I sure would. Reply if you have an answer to my question

Old 05-16-2024, 12:59 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,154,508 times
Appealing is always worth it if you have some chance of a reversal of the denial.

However, the concern I have is that they are not denying you because you didn't have a good reason to quit, they are denying because you didn't prove it. If you appeal, they will require you to support your position with evidence.
Q? What evidence/documentation do you have to prove these things were occurring as you claimed?

Second, it looks like they are also denying due to a failure to try and preserve the employment relationship prior to quitting. If the regulations require you take certain steps before quitting, not taking those steps is a valid reason to deny.
Q? What steps did you take to alert the company of these issues so that you could stay employed?

Old 05-16-2024, 03:05 PM

457 posts, read 435,136 times
Tell the judge about the bathroom harassment and other unprofessional things they did including your supervisor. Maybe they won't show up at the appeal and you win by default.
Good luck.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Tell the judge about the bathroom harassment and other unprofessional things they did including your supervisor. Maybe they won't show up at the appeal and you win by default.
Good luck.
This is a VQ. In Rhode Island, the employer is only required to show the claimant quit. If the claimant had stated they quit on their application, the employer isn't even required to send anything in since the claimant already certified that it was quit. As with many states, when a VQ is involved, the burden of proving it was for just cause rest solely on the claimant. However, the statutory administrative rules for establishing just cause still comes down to evidence and documentation. This was what appeared to be one of the reasons, the claimant lacked evidence to support their statements.

Plus when a VQ is involved, there's the secondary requirement to show the employee took the proper steps to grieve or alert the company and gave them reasonable time to correct the situation. This appears to be the second reason for denial, to attempt to preserve the employee-employer relationship.

Now, since RI operates De novo, the claimant can retailor their explanation to establish several valid just cause qualifying events providing they can back up their statements with evidence.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:09 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,339,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Good luck.
What may happen if the supervisor and that coworker show up and deny about the bathroom harassments?

Hope the OP has a witness regarding those two were turning the lights off and on and banging on the door.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:12 PM

5,071 posts, read 7,273,296 times
Plenty of lawyers have a free consultation.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:36 AM

It's more and more difficult to get attorneys to do unemployment representation. Unless your in a BOR or Civil Court case, traditional unemployment representation is just too costly for the claimant for good representation at standard attorney fees. In those states with unemployment attorney pools, services, or regulated fees limited by law, it means you may not even see the attorney until half and hour before your hearing.

In some states like California or NJ, hiring an attorney is just throwing money away. CA provides every bit of information to claimants (including case determinations and examples) you can cite yourself and NJ isn't an actual denial but more a delay in getting benefits, so an attorney usually can't help you win, they can only prevent you from screwing up and throwing a win away.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:41 AM

10,050 posts, read 5,771,646 times
Unless you have contemporaneous documentation of your harassment claims such as written requests to your supervisor to address the issue, you'll have a hard time winning your appeal. A simple "he-said, she-said" case almost always goes in favor of the employer. Make your case, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment