Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 10:10 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

For those that filed, how long did it take to get your first check?

Regarding work search requirements - it says one should be willing to accept 90% of "normal wage" for your profession and then after 8 weeks should reduce that to 75% of normal wage. Does it take years of experience and specialization into account? In my field there is a HUGE variation in salary levels based on the specific skills of the job and the job title is rather generic.

So, where is this "normal wage" defined?

It requires me to perform 5 work searches a week and document it in a log.

What is the max number of weeks you've collected UE before TWC starts getting on your case as to why you have not found employment? In some fields the market is pretty bad right now and I know one person who was unemployed for a year before he found something suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 01:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
For those that filed, how long did it take to get your first check?
That is dependent on the reason for being unemployed. Layoff's are handled differently from a termination which is handled differently from a quit which is all vasty deferent from a WARN.
Which one are you?

Quote:
So, where is this "normal wage" defined?
It's the "prevailing" wages for your industry as computed by DOL. Note federal prevailing wages are different from State prevailing wages which could be different from locally adjusted prevailing wages. TWC just makes up which works best for them. In the end, it will be whatever the commissioner has designated at the time of your determination. Last time I heard, it's State prevailing wages with no locally adjustments.

Quote:
What is the max number of weeks you've collected UE before TWC starts getting on your case as to why you have not found employment? In some fields the market is pretty bad right now and I know one person who was unemployed for a year before he found something suitable.
No set time periods, they act when they act. Sometimes it's pure random, others if they think your playing games. TWC does take into consideration the local economy/job market but at 26 weeks you're cut off so you have to decide at what point you're going to reduce your expectations to get employed.

Old 12-01-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
That is dependent on the reason for being unemployed. Layoff's are handled differently from a termination which is handled differently from a quit which is all vasty deferent from a WARN.
Which one are you?
I was laid off end of November, however was given a 60 day notice so will be on payroll until then, so official termination date is end of Jan. When exactly can I file for UE? Since I am still getting paid technically I am thinking I should file in Jan sometime? Or can I file now and say my termination date is Jan and they will start benefits then?

Old 12-03-2023, 07:54 AM

You wait until you are actually unemployed otherwise TWC will go through all the motions just to tell you you're not yet eligible.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You wait until you are actually unemployed otherwise TWC will go through all the motions just to tell you you're not yet eligible.
thanks, that is what TWC told me as well. Looks like I will have to file end Jan and i'll get my first check sometime in mid March if it takes 6 weeks for them to process it.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:18 AM

Go to this website:
Texas.gov - WARN Notice
Go down to WARN Notices and click on 2023.

Is your company listed? if so, TWC already knows you're facing the lay off and may already been provided your info from the employer. In such cases, you'll be approved quickly, often only a couple of weeks at most. If not listed, so long as your former employer is quick to respond that it was a legitimate lay-off, your benefits start just as quickly.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:46 AM

thanks, I checked the WARN site, my employer is not listed for whatever reason.

I am actually getting a lumpsum severance of 2 months in addition to the notice so I was told by TWC I MAY be disqualified for the period covered by severance as well (I have to sign a release of claims not to sue to get the severance and some had told me that if you sign something to get severance then it does not count - but apparently some say it does, we'll see).

If I am disqualified then it's another 2 months from end Jan through end March so my benefits will probably begin only April 1.

Question - the work search requirements only apply to the weeks they are paying benefits correct? Any notification or severance period that I am disqualified is none of their business if I just decided to sit on my couch and do nothing during that time?

Meaning - if I was notified end Nov, officially terminated end Jan, got severance through end Mar and started collecting benefits Apr 1, then I am expecting work search requirements to be documented starting Apr 1 and whatever happened before then is none of their business as they are not paying me for that time. Hope I understand this correctly.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:55 PM

Severance may or may not impact unemployment. How it's paid and define is the deciding factor. So:
1. Was the payment a single lump payment or spread out over several weeks like standard wages would be paid?
2. Was the severance paid to settle any wage/hour, labor or other grievance issues?
3. Does the company have a standard policy for payment of severance?

As for it's long term impact on application date, are you receiving severance and notice payments at the same time or will one commence at the end of the other? If separate, which is being paid now versus later?

As for work search, that only applies when you're on unemployment.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:41 PM

thank you! yeah, in my case severance will be paid as a lumpsum sometime AFTER the notice period. It's a standard company severance policy so not in exchange for labor disputes BUT I will have to sign a release of claims. After getting some other feedback as well from elsewhere it looks like TWC will delay the eligibility date by the # of weeks covered by the severance. I will apply and see what happens. Thanks for the responses again, appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment