Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 08:28 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times

Advertisements

Really enjoy the Columbo series and remember so many of these episodes when they first aired.

Columbo timing and focus is just great. He is going to solve the case and is not concerned if he keeps bothering people very cool and calm.

There’s so many great actors in these episodes that really make the shows interesting and great writing.

Some of my favorites

Swan Song - This episode is with Johnny Cash and very well done. Peter Falk and Johnny Cash had great chemistry and worked well together.

Negative Reaction - This episode is with Dick Van Dyke very good especially the end !

Troubled Waters - This episode is with Robert Vaughn, just great on a cruise. Brilliant how he solves this case. Many great actors in this episode.

Forgotten Lady - This episode is with Janet Leigh she is lovely. It’s cute how Columbo has his dog in this episode.

There’s so many more favorites, I can just rewatch Columbo and enjoy !

What are some of your Favorite Columbo Episodes.

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-25-2023 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 10:36 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We love Columbos and have seen them all many times. I have them DVR'd and they're good for winding down in the evening. You named a couple of my favorites already. Love the Dick Van Dyke one with the wife who is such a witch.

The thing that is unusual about Columbo, I think, is how sympathetic the villains often are... or at least, how the victim is somewhat unlikeable or culpable.... a blackmailer... an affair who threatened to expose the killer... Not always, but sometimes!

A favorite you haven't named yet is "Try and Catch Me" with the sweet old lady author who thinks the victim killed her Niece.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:47 PM

176 posts, read 94,002 times
A couple of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet...
"By Dawn's Early Light", Patrick McGoohan's first of four appearances as murderer, playing the commandant of a military academy.
"Columbo Goes To College", my favorite of the later era episodes.
"Now You See Him", with Jack Cassidy. He was another actor that made multiple appearances, and always had great chemistry with Peter Falk.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Columbophile blog. It has in depth reviews of (almost) all of the episodes, and lots of fascinating articles and interviews. https://columbophile.com/

Old 04-26-2023, 01:39 PM

^Yes, Jack Cassidy was great in Columbo, great actor.

I really like the pace of shows made back then, nothing is rushed and every scene has meaning.

Really like the earlier episodes - Dead Weight - This episode is filmed in Newport Beach, Balboa Island Suzanne Pleshette and Eddie Albert are excellent. The home in this episode was Peter Falk’s home.

Old 04-26-2023, 01:39 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
"Sex and the Married Detective" : very moody w/ great acting . Joan Allenby (Lindsay Crouse) is the main villainess from Columbo episode ; she is a sex therapist and the host of a popular radio show, while also being involved in a relationship with her business partner, David Kincaid.

There was one with Dabney Coleman that was really good as well .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-26-2023, 01:49 PM

^Just watched the episode with Dabney Coleman he’s a great actor. It’s the one where he was married to the singer. He really made the episode.

Any time there is a great actor and an actor working with them that is just ok the great actor makes everyone look better.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:01 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
My favorites are:
OMG, I didn't realize I do have so many, and I also might ave of missed some.

Rest in Peace Mrs Columbo (my all time favorite)

Try and Catch me
Forgotten lady
Ransom for a dead man
Columbo cries wolf, although I cannot stand Ian Buchanan, his huge smile is simply irritating and to me he is very ugly (I'm shallow, I know)and the music score is terrible also

Lovely but Lethal
Negative Reaction
Ashes to ashes
Murder, smoke and shadows
Sex and the married detective
Death hits the jackpot
A bird in hand
Undercover
Columbo likes the nightlife (horrible, horrible music score)
Columbo and the murder of a rock star

Some were the original 70's and some were the updated ones.....

Old 04-26-2023, 05:45 PM

^ I did like Ian Buchanan on the soap opera with Finola Hughes. Columbo Cries Wolf was just ok in the series, that’s ok because the majority of the episodes are excellent.

Murder by the Book is very good with Jack Cassidy and Martin Milner.

The episode Negative Reaction had several wonderful scenes that are unexpected the scene where Columbo finds the driving instructor (Larry Storch) he needs to ask him questions. Then offers to give the driving instructor a ride back to dmv. It’s just brilliant the dynamics that go on in this scene.

Also, in Negative Reaction Columbo goes to a soup kitchen to ask a man questions and the nun working there gives him a bowl of soup and gets a new coat for him. He said, he didn’t need a new coat and said he was very fond of it (coat) Sweetest scene !

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-26-2023 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 07:34 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Really enjoy the Columbo series and remember so many of these episodes when they first aired.

Columbo timing and focus is just great. He is going to solve the case and is not concerned if he keeps bothering people very cool and calm.

There’s so many great actors in these episodes that really make the shows interesting and great writing.

Some of my favorites

Swan Song - This episode is with Johnny Cash and very well done. Peter Falk and Johnny Cash had great chemistry and worked well together.

Negative Reaction - This episode is with Dick Van Dyke very good especially the end !

Troubled Waters - This episode is with Robert Vaughn, just great on a cruise. Brilliant how he solves this case. Many great actors in this episode.

Forgotten Lady - This episode is with Janet Leigh she is lovely. It’s cute how Columbo has his dog in this episode.

There’s so many more favorites, I can just rewatch Columbo and enjoy !

What are some of your Favorite Columbo Episodes.
Awesome thread, thank you!

I'm into it. Recorded many episodes recently and have been binge watching.

One of my favs is Ransom for a Dead Man, the actress in this is classy and graceful.

Columbo Likes the Nightlife, very fun, and a cameo by Tony Suprano's guy, Bobby.

The Conspirators, the Irish Gun-runner one, and the one with the Guillotine was good.

Love the show and also appreciate all the ones with Patrick Mcgohan. He was on quite often it seems.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:48 PM

^ Great post !

I just watched Ransom for a Dead Man actress is Lee Grant, yes, she is classy. She was in the movie Shampoo (1975) she played a great role, also in that movie Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty.

Columbo is a great series to binge watch !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV