Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,528 times

Advertisements

Thinking about maybe buying over there but not to sure of the area it would be around 4000 e Archer ...I have never lived in Tulsa but live close and have heard some very different stories like there is crime everywhere and so on..just looking for some honest opinions...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canutellme View Post
Thinking about maybe buying over there but not to sure of the area it would be around 4000 e Archer ...I have never lived in Tulsa but live close and have heard some very different stories like there is crime everywhere and so on..just looking for some honest opinions...Thanks
There's not crime all over Tulsa but there are areas with more crime than others. While that area is not the ghetto, Tulsa's ghetto areas are not far from there and there probably is a fair amount of crime in that part of town. It is far enough east that it's not a downright poor area, but it's definitely working class. I'm guessing housing is pretty cheap there, there's a reason for that.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
4000 E Archer is between Yale and Harvard. Archer is a relatively quiet street in that area (it is two blocks west of Rose Hill Cemetery) and is predominately residential and blue collar. I don't think the crime in that area is very high, and I would have no problem living there. Houses there is largely post and pre WWII houses with high incidence of lead based paint on houses, crawl spaces, floor furnaces, etc. The houses are the low cost housing, frequently with the old asbestos exterior shingles, that was built in that era. I would have no problem living there now, housing could be inexpensive.........it has easy access to 244 so getting to work or shopping is quick. I like the area.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
...........is far from the "safest" area in Tulsa.
How far?

Actually I think that, outside of south Tulsa gated communities, it is no less safe than any other community.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Thank you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
4000 E Archer is between Yale and Harvard. Archer is a relatively quiet street in that area (it is two blocks west of Rose Hill Cemetery) and is predominately residential and blue collar. I don't think the crime in that area is very high, and I would have no problem living there. Houses there is largely post and pre WWII houses with high incidence of lead based paint on houses, crawl spaces, floor furnaces, etc. The houses are the low cost housing, frequently with the old asbestos exterior shingles, that was built in that era. I would have no problem living there now, housing could be inexpensive.........it has easy access to 244 so getting to work or shopping is quick. I like the area.
Thank you so much for the answer..

Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Thank uuuu

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM

58 posts, read 217,925 times
Since the OP specifically mentioned suburbs, and I've relocated to Tulsa within the last 1.5 years, I'll chime in.

If you want as close of a guaranteed safe neighborhood as you'll ever find, stick the south and southeast surburbs of Tulsa. You'll be looking at Jenks, Bixby, Glenpool. Broken Arrow. If you want to get more rural you can go out to Mounds, Coweta, etc. I wouldn't consider anything in North Tulsa (or anything really above the 244) and West and East Tulsa is very hit and miss - some large sections of low income housing, minorities with higher crime rates, white trash trailer park, etc. Not meaning to come off prejudiced at all, but its just the case. If you're willing to commute a little bit more (like 20-25 mins vs. 5 mins) you can get more house for your buck as it gets cheaper the further out you go. You should be able to find a incredibly nice house for less than $1200/rent or $1400/mortgage, and very decent places are much less than that. We're in Broken Arrow/Bixby area and absolutely love it. Almost zero crime, low traffic for the most part, quiet neighborhoods and good sized properties. I would warn you to not even consider apartments at all. Tulsa's cost of housing is very low, so the people who can't afford even a $700/mo rental house end up in apartments. A good chunk of those people bring in the crime, drugs, violence etc. Again, not judging, its just a fact. The majority of crime that occurs in Tulsa occurs near the north side and around apartment complexes. Make sure you're not moving near any apartments either - it'll save you a headache. Hope that helps!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 72,563 times
WacosSon may definitely be right about the crime in apartments because some cant afford $700 a month, but I must defend those families that stubbornly choose to have a limited income and live in $500 a month apartments because only one of them works while the other stays at home for the little kiddo. That is all.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 204 times
Default Safe is relatively

Oklahoma in general is safe, but all cities/towns have crime. This state has drug issues, which breeds crime as a consequence. Property crime very high. Yes Okmulgee is nice. Long drive to get to Tulsa. Another issue, Tulsa area very behind and backwards on lots of things. Roads need work. If you don't mind these issues then ok, but I regretted the time I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa