Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 07:36 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 5 days ago)

35,931 posts, read 18,229,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Judge grants Scott Peterson status hearing after LA Innocence Project filings
https://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-gran...y?id=107794535
"New evidence now supports Mr. Peterson's longstanding claim of innocence and raises many questions into who abducted and killed Laci and Conner Peterson," filings obtained by ABC News state.

The AP reported that the judge in Tuesday's hearing has set the next two hearings for April 16 and May 29 and Peterson will also virtually attend those hearings."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/72956254007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 07:58 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 5 days ago)

35,931 posts, read 18,229,733 times
Scott Peterson will be back in court virtually tomorrow, and May 29, represented by the Innocence Project.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/72956254007/

Old 04-16-2024, 10:50 AM

2,081 posts, read 909,954 times
Tuesday's 9 a.m. hearing in Redwood City was on the motion to seal proceedings in the case.

The motion to seal proceedings would shield the identities of potential witnesses for Peterson's defense.

A second motion for post-conviction DNA testing is scheduled for May 29 and has to do with a van that was near the Peterson's home that was involved in a burglary at or near the time of Laci's disappearance.

The third motion scheduled for July 15 seeks post-trial discovery from the case, including evidence of the December 2002 burglary across the street from the Peterson's Modesto home, a missing watch belonging to Laci Peterson, and files and documents from witness interviews.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...eal-witnesses/

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

2,081 posts, read 909,954 times
Judge denies nearly all DNA testing requests from Scott Peterson's defense

Here's how the judge ruled on the DNA testing.
  • Denied testing what the defense called a "blood-stained" mattress found in a burned-out van near the Peterson’s Modesto home. The judge argued 2019 testing didn't show it was blood and there's no new technology that would change the results.
  • Denied testing on a hammer and work glove found in a neighbor's home after a burglary.
  • Denied testing on some of the items found in the San Francisco Bay, including a Target cement bag, duct tape from that bag, four packages of debris from the bag, duct tape from the Bay, a black tarp found 20 feet from where Laci’s remains were discovered and a black tarp found a month later.
  • Denied testing for the twine found on the neck of Laci's fetus Conner.
  • Granted testing on 15.5 inch long duct tape found on Laci's pants during the autopsy. The pants were tested in 2013 but the judge said new advanced testing is available

Link KCRA3

A hearing has been scheduled for July to address any outstanding disputes regarding the identity of the DNA testing lab and who will pay for the DNA testing.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

8,968 posts, read 11,844,968 times
This guy was convicted by the media and the public long before he was convicted in court.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,354,730 times
I imagine if any DNA is found on the tape, it will be treated like the JBR touch DNA. Some people will believe it exonerates him.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

19,303 posts, read 16,844,820 times
I saw the broadcast but only in the written article did the details as to why some of the evidence was denied clear up my questions.

I've always believed 100% SP is guilty of this. 95% of me still does but if there is anything that could prove this was a wrongful conviction, I'll be the first to admit my error and be glad an innocent person is set free. The Innocence Project is a reputable organization and has freed a number of wrongfully-convicted people. Is there something they are seeing that could change the outcome of this? I don't know but it's interesting to speculate.

I feel sorry for the family, having this dredged up again. A lot has occurred in the family since this happened. Laci's stepfather, Ron, died in April 2018 and her dad, Dennis Rocha, died in December of the same year. I think Sharon and the rest of the family would just like this to all be over with but until the last bit of untested evidence is resolved, they will have no peace.

You have to wonder why a man like Peterson would fight so hard to prove his innocence if he wasn't and why would The Innocence Project take on a case, unless they feel there's something to his claims. That's where the 5% of doubt in me lies. Thanks for the detailed article, MissPickel

Old Today, 08:02 AM

33 posts, read 8,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
…

You have to wonder why a man like Peterson would fight so hard to prove his innocence if he wasn't and why would The Innocence Project take on a case, unless they feel there's something to his claims. That's where the 5% of doubt in me lies. Thanks for the detailed article, MissPickel
Rest easy and forget about your 5% doubts.

SP is fighting not because he is innocent but because why not? What else he has to do? He isn’t paying for this - you are!
Throw a Hail Mary and see what sticks so he could get off.

Hope springs eternal…
Pretty sure the convicts are telling each other fantastic stories how a guilty person walks free on technicalities: it perhaps happens more often than innocent person suffering unjustly in prisons or worse.
We just don’t hear about those cases as much.

The main reason he challenges the justice system because the guy has no conscience.
If he has any conscience he wouldn’t do what he did

Old Today, 08:24 AM

5,751 posts, read 4,363,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
I saw the broadcast but only in the written article did the details as to why some of the evidence was denied clear up my questions.

I've always believed 100% SP is guilty of this. 95% of me still does but if there is anything that could prove this was a wrongful conviction, I'll be the first to admit my error and be glad an innocent person is set free. The Innocence Project is a reputable organization and has freed a number of wrongfully-convicted people. Is there something they are seeing

Apparently not.

On January 18, 2024, the Los Angeles Innocence Project filed motions seeking DNA testing and post-conviction discovery on behalf of its client, Scott Peterson. Any and all inquiries about Mr. Peterson’s case should be directed to the Los Angeles Innocence Project, a non-profit organization wholly independent of the Innocence Project.

https://innocenceproject.org/stateme...se-california/

Old Today, 09:15 AM

19,303 posts, read 16,844,820 times
Thank you, Deserterer. I looked at your link and then did a little more snooping. My mistake in first thinking this case was in the hands of THE Innocence Project, not the LA Innocence Project. Reading further, they are indeed independent of the one I was referring to in my original comment.

Could be this is all smoke and mirrors and as Levante stated, he's doing this because he can. I just wish the media would be more clear on exactly who is handling this case and make sure it's clear. Otherwise, fools like me get it wrong. Gawd, I hate it when I'm manipulated by the media. Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I should have investigated it fully before spouting off about my doubt. As long as this dog and pony show doesn't end up costing taxpayers, I'm okay with whatever entertainment they derive from it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime