Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM

26,714 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

I just read a review of the book Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America and didn't realize that Adam Walsh's killer was not found until 2008, 27 years after his murder. It gives one hope that similar cases may be solved, such as the JonBenet Ramsey case. I also didn't know that Adam and some other children were asked to leave the Florida Sears store by a security guard because they were arguing about playing a video game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Wasn't it finally solved because the killer confessed?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Apparently the suspect had confessed to killing Adam but later recanted (similar to the Ramsey case). The suspect claimed responsibility for hundreds of murders but police determined that most of the confessions were lies.

The police were not called until two hours after Adam disappeared from the mall. Child abduction cases must have been handled differently back then.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
I did not realize that this case was solved....although it certainly has been a horribly long time, I am certainly glad that it was -- yes, it is certainly good to know that ultimately, the offender gets caught and no one is above the law - at least I like to think that no one is truly above the law.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Hmmmm......I always thought he was abducted from a park that was right across the street from the Walsh home. Vaguely remember that Mom had been checking on him every few minutes from a window and that he disappeared between her re-checks. Anyone else remember it this way?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Hmmmm......I always thought he was abducted from a park that was right across the street from the Walsh home. Vaguely remember that Mom had been checking on him every few minutes from a window and that he disappeared between her re-checks. Anyone else remember it this way?
No it was in a Sears store,his mom was a few aisles away. It's in Adams name that many stores have a Code Adam lockdown when a child goes missing in a store!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
From the Los Angeles Times:
Adam Walsh case is closed after 27 years
THE NATIONPolice in Florida say a man who died in prison in 1996 abducted and killed the 6-year-old boy.
December 17, 2008|John Holland
A dead man was officially named Adam Walsh's killer Tuesday, but not because of any new evidence or a deathbed confession.

Police simply took another look at 27 years of tips, psychic revelations, often-botched police work and a serial killer's chilling admissions and decided it was time. Time to ease the suffering of the Walsh family and time to point the finger at the man Hollywood Police Chief Chad Wagner said had been the prime suspect all along: Ottis Toole.

I am certainly not condemning all of law enforcement [just for clarification purposes], but sometimes I just shake my head and wonder .... perhaps with better investigative tools these days, perhaps better forensics.... ... I can only wonder how many other cold case files are out there, how many other families still wonder and anguish and .....

I would think that there are enough law enforcement officers / detectives who, on principle, want to see justice prevail and work tirelessly to bring families and their victims some peace.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No, he was most definitely taken from a store.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, he was most definitely taken from a store.
For years I think that's what we were all led to believe, that he was in the toy section while his mother went briefly to another department at Sears. But apparently he was abducted outside the store, after the security guard asked him and some other kids to leave because they were arguing over a video game.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
For years I think that's what we were all led to believe, that he was in the toy section while his mother went briefly to another department at Sears. But apparently he was abducted outside the store, after the security guard asked him and some other kids to leave because they were arguing over a video game.
Hadn't heard that.

Did they even have video games back then? I guess Atari was around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime