Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 26,365 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking to join a job in Richland. I was just wondering if there are any people from India.
I am looking for some accommodation there too. Can anyone help me out?

Sunita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 AM

6 posts, read 25,632 times
There are very very very few east Indian people living in the Tri-cities.
I have known 4 in all my life living here and they were all a group of friends.

It's pretty much just white and hispanic folks, with very small populations of various other ethnicities.

Hope that does'nt stop you, Tri cities is a pretty decent place, and mostly nice people

Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
There's one Indian restaurant that has impressed me very much by staying in business at two different banana peel locations (that is, locations where restaurants are always starting up then dying). It's over just south of the mall. But other than the folks at India Palace, I haven't seen many India Indians here.

That does bring me to a question only tangentially related to yours. An American Indian friend of mine refers to herself as a 'feather Indian' rather than a 'dot Indian'. I understand that both references are greatly approximate and imprecise, and that if it were anyone but she making it in her typical easygoing laugh, the usage might radiate racist overtones. Do you think most people would automatically assume 'dot Indian' was meant to be derogatory?

Please note that I'm differentiating from 'dothead' which has definite overtones of prejudice simply by the way people have used it. We experience a constant problem with how to make clear which type of Indian we mean in normal speech, and 'India Indian' sounds pretty stupid.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
There are a few, if you can swing a visit, drop by the Indian restaurant that jkk mentions above, and ask these guys. There are a couple of distinguished scientists from India who work where I work, they probably live in the Tri-Cities somewhere, but am not personally aquainted.

This is a *fairly* open community, I don't think you would feel culturally isolated, but if there is a really significant Indian community here, I don't know about it.

There *is* a fairly active Russian community, but I wouldn't know about it except for the fact that I have learned the language over the last 15 years, and have a wife from Ukraine, so am part of it.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the help!!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 AM

4 posts, read 17,249 times
Default Indians in the TriCities

Sunita contrary to some of the posts that you have seen. I work with two of the sweetest Indian people that you would ever meet. There is a Hindu Center in West Richland that is becoming more active for additional information lookup A&V Enterprises and ask for Vandana tell her Rich said to ask her for information. Your're moving to a great area.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,588 times
Hi Sunita,

i am viji.iam in the same situation now.planning to join job in richland,are you located in tricities now?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM

Yes, I am now in tri-cities and it is sort of good area for work. People here are nice. There are quite a lot Indians here (youngsters as well as elderly). They keep meeting every friday.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 42,213 times
Hi Sunita,
I will be moving to Richland shortly. You mentioned that Indians meet every Friday! Where and what time, if you could please let me know that would be great.
Thanks.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Hi everyone, looks like a old thread. I am of east india origin and moving to Richland to join a hospital. I was wondering if any one of you can recommend schools for my toddler and also looking to make some contacts in city before we move in.

Thank you in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities