Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 05:15 AM

43,854 posts, read 44,621,779 times

Advertisements

As already mentioned T-Mobile has a great international plan including data and cheap prices for calls. I stopped buying local sim cards when traveling internationally for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 11:25 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,022,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
If you have ATT, you can use their International Day Pass plan. Currently only $10 per day, and only charges for the days data and voice is used internationally. Works in many countries.
This is what I do. There may be cheaper ways to accomplish your goal, but this is certainly easy and convenient.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:50 PM

11,109 posts, read 6,707,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I've always bought sim cards upon arrival. Usually several kiosks at the airport to choose from. You'll need a phone that will work internationally, though.
I've never seen those kiosks. I'll have to look harder next time. What does a SIM card cost there?

I guess the difference in our case is we are coming TO the U.S. so we don't already have a U.S. plan like you guys are suggesting. Our Ecuadorian plan is useless but we have to have a phone number to use WhatsApp.

We've had to sit down at an AT&T store with an employee and go through an hour-long process. Seems ridiculous. Our phones work internationally---we just need a temp plan when we visit CA for a few months.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:00 PM

7,455 posts, read 6,620,491 times
Quote:
If you have ATT, you can use their International Day Pass plan. Currently only $10 per day, and only charges for the days data and voice is used internationally. Works in many countries.
To add, if you’re away for an extended time the most you will be charged per month by ATT is $120.00 (equivalent of being capped at 12 days).

I typically keep my phone in airplane mode and rely upon WiFi most of the time when possible; you won’t get charged (though you also won’t get texts). There might be 2-4 days where I’m forced to use roaming and turn airplane mode off when WiFi is not available (usually to use Google Maps to navigate a city I’m not familiar with).

Last edited by elchevere; 05-16-2024 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 09:00 PM

30,738 posts, read 18,390,404 times
I have a T-Mobile plan that has free data/text privileges in most countries in the world. Calling is usually at an additional fee, but depending on the country it can be quite reasonable (but WiFi calling works all the same for free if connected to a network somewhere). Before this, I was relegated to purchasing a SIM card in country, which--while not difficult--was more hassle than I wanted.

Old 05-17-2024, 05:43 PM

57 posts, read 31,211 times
Frankly, I think most overthink this. Many locations in Europe and elsewhere use WhatsApp for calls and text, and Wifi data access that's all you need. Actually I can't recall the last time I bought a location specific SIM.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to know how many people find this to be a cost-effective alternative. I ask only because, depending on how many days you spend overseas each year, it may very well be more cost effective to just get a more expensive plan that includes "free" texting/data. Many frequent travelers can find themselves around WiFi at important times of the day to enable WiFi calling, which is why I only bring up texting/data only.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:48 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,418,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
It's relatively seamless too. Usually while we're still on the plane heading to the gate we get a text from T-Mobile notifying us that we have coverage in that country.
That was definitely a nice bonus.. The only place my phone didn't get coverage was Amsterdam of all places...lol.. I still can't figure that one out..

Old 05-17-2024, 08:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,627,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm curious to know how many people find this to be a cost-effective alternative. I ask only because, depending on how many days you spend overseas each year, it may very well be more cost effective to just get a more expensive plan that includes "free" texting/data. Many frequent travelers can find themselves around WiFi at important times of the day to enable WiFi calling, which is why I only bring up texting/data only.
I found it very cost-effective, when it was used on a recent trip to Europe. For someone who spends most of their time in the US, and occasionally travels international this is probably the best avenue.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I found it very cost-effective, when it was used on a recent trip to Europe. For someone who spends most of their time in the US, and occasionally travels international this is probably the best avenue.
Thanks for that. Makes sense. I probably spend a minimum of 3-4 weeks overseas every year for work/vacation, so in my case it's probably cheaper to get a more expensive plan that has the other perks. But your case definitely makes sense. One thing that I'm not a fan of is buying the physical SIM cards when traveling. With some of the newer phones, though, e-SIM cards are the only option in that regard as there is no way to load a physical card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel