Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 06:32 AM

16,686 posts, read 17,460,264 times

Advertisements

It sounds quite crass. There is too much faux romance surrounding what was in reality a horrendous human tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 06:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,538,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It sounds quite crass. There is too much faux romance surrounding what was in reality a horrendous human tragedy.
It is typical of Clive Palmer!

Old 05-04-2024, 11:07 AM

30,675 posts, read 18,301,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
At first I thought the thread read “Titan” (as in the submersible) rather than Titanic and nearly spat my food out
To add: that said, as one who has never been on an overnight cruise, this does intrigue me and, if the price is right, I might even consider it.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,050,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Agreed. Anything for a buck, eh? Let those poor people rest in peace already.

What's next, a getaway at an Auschwitz replica "resort", to experience the horror of a concentration camp? Or an amusement park ride recreating a massive disaster like the Twin Towers falling...not a far stretch from Universal Studios earthquake ride. Ugh.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,624,293 times
Aye Captain, we've telegraphed to the Port Authority. They sent a response back by drone to let us know they have no coal to sell us.

Also, Captain, we're traveling at 2 knots off course. It appears the stokers aren't up to the challenge of continuously shoveling coal for 8 hours....and they want their breaks. The cooks used the gas for cooking.

Ahem...please captain there's more. It would appear the travelers in steering were not aware of there being no wifi or cell coverage on this vessel and our furious. We've got 24 people overboard trying to take selfies Titanic Jack style with our old school low railings that don't disrupt the view.

Really sir the only ones that are happy are the people those south american flour vendors who are insisting we change course for Miami.

It tires me sir and we're out of ice for the kitchen. But small luck, there's some just floating over there. Pehaps we can get a bit closer and restock the kitchen. I'll know next time to simply take Carnival's oldest boat.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:30 PM

5,254 posts, read 3,620,053 times
Because of the tremendous size of the proposed Titanic II & lack of suitable docks, Clive Palmer is taking passengers from the shore on his Hindenburg II blimp transport.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 3,423,543 times
I think it could work, but perhaps not as Clive Palmer envisions it.

First, he seems to want a ship that works, to go from place to place. Well, that's what most ships do, but not all. It seems to me that he could save a lot of money making a Titanic replica ship permanently docked, and used as a hotel/museum. See, for example, the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. No need for engines on Titanic II; such a ship can be towed/tugged from the shipyard to its permanent home.

Next, in its role as a museum, the bridge can certainly be recreated, as can the Grand Staircase, lounges, libraries, gym, restaurants, etc. These would be of interest to the day visitor, as I was when I visited the Queen Mary in Long Beach. The restaurants could serve re-created menus from the real Titanic's last voyage, though with a few nods to modern tastes. ("Mom, I want chicken nuggets, not chicken Maryland!"). Fake boilers and engines could be re-created for those interested in touring the bowels of the ship, as I did when I toured the Queen Mary, though hers were real.

Then, as a hotel: sell the first and second-class cabins only. Don't sell steerage. Four bunks in a 8' by 8' cabin, and you're bunking with strangers, just like Jack encountered in the movie. No windows, and the bathroom is down the hall. I don't think that would go over well with today's traveller. Steerage cabins would be museum exhibits. But put the third-class pub down in steerage, and open it to all guests. Equip it with an Irish band, like in the movie, so those who do not wish to partake in post-dinner brandy and stuffy polite conversation in the First Class dining room can go somewhere to have some pints of beer and some fun. Above all, nowadays, make sure that no matter how historically inaccurate it is, provide modern technology for guests. Wi-fi, flat screen TVs, you know, the things we cannot do without today.

I think it's a great idea, as long as the ship never sets sail under her own power, and is operated as a hotel/museum. Less expensive to build, certainly, and it will be a star attraction to the city wherever it is berthed.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

27,246 posts, read 13,534,754 times
^^

Cunard's latest addition to it's Queen fleet, the MS Queen Anne departed on her maiden voyage from Southampton on Friday the 3rd May 2024.

The MS Queen Anne will join the MS Queen Mary 2, MS Queen Elizabeth and MS Queen Victoria.

The Cunard fleet - Cunard

The White Star Line flag is raised on all current Cunard ships and the Nomadic every 15 April in memory of the Titanic disaster.

The new ship Queen Anne was delivered to Cunard on 19 April 2024, the first new ship for the line in over 14 years.

She arrived in Southampton on 30 April 2024.[ The ship departed on her maiden cruise from Southampton to the Canary Islands on 3 May 2024, and she will be officially named in Liverpool in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQGAeONJOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C3f2JtJQ

Queen Anne departing Southampton on the 3rd May 2024, just over 112 years after RMS Titanic departed from Southampton on the 10th April 1912.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcY5i_KpX8w

Last edited by Brave New World; Yesterday at 12:22 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

27,246 posts, read 13,534,754 times
Sadly the actor Bernard Hill who played the Captain in the 1997 film Titanic has just passed away.

Bernard Hill: Titanic and Lord of the Rings actor dies - BBC News (5th May 2024)

Old Today, 06:49 AM

61,887 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed. Anything for a buck, eh? Let those poor people rest in peace already.

What's next, a getaway at an Auschwitz replica "resort", to experience the horror of a concentration camp? Or an amusement park ride recreating a massive disaster like the Twin Towers falling...not a far stretch from Universal Studios earthquake ride. Ugh.
I think his plan is to replicate the glorious luxury of the ship, not the tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel