Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 06:29 PM

19,820 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

I have tried to look up info on the Amtrak website for a one-bedroom suite. I was able to find schedule info to Chicago to L.A., but not from L.A. to Chicago. I then tried Kayak and they did not have any info on train schedules between Chicago and L.A. using various dates of travel, but no luck. I don't have dates set yet (although I am thinking about late September), but in the meantime:

1. Has anyone had any experience with the one-bedroom suite experience on Amtrak?

2. Does anyone know why it seems to be so difficult to get info about L.A. to Chicago train schedules?

Maybe I am "doing it wrong" (although I have had no problem obtaining airline schedules), and I will call Amtrak when I have dates set -- but, meanwhile, if anyone has any answers to the above, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 07:24 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Amtrak website is always clunky and often times not functioning.

I've tried the roomette for 1 nite, 1 person. Not impressed. I have a Amtrak rewards card and was trying to use up points.
Southwest Chief
note that this schedule is Dec 2023-Mar 2024. I googled, "Amtrak Southwest Chief"

For rooms, the 2-6 persons pay only the coach fare but get the same amenities as the 1st person.

You are brave to even think about a long US train trip. I just got back from Europe, and took many high speed trains (263 kmh-163mph). Inexpensive, on-time.

I may do a 30 day train trip for $500 next year. Breaking up the trip into segments for touring and bedding in a real bed.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:16 PM

Some hints:
Amtrak web, works better on iOS than Chrome system.
Other routes from Chicago. Empire Builder (northern route) PDX or SEA. California Zepher (central route thru Donner Pass-Reno- SLC-DEN) to SAC-EMY.
Some routes may not have all the cars. The Empire Builder (E->W) loses the diner car and the Vista car at Spokane. The shorten train continues to SEA. The Diner and Vista cars continue to PDX.
There seems be demand pricing.
Summer rates are always priced higher and are in sleepers are in high demand.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 PM

9,170 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Amtrak only has these schedules through September 14.

If you are looking at late September, it's too early.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have tried to look up info on the Amtrak website for a one-bedroom suite. I was able to find schedule info to Chicago to L.A., but not from L.A. to Chicago. I then tried Kayak and they did not have any info on train schedules between Chicago and L.A. using various dates of travel, but no luck. I don't have dates set yet (although I am thinking about late September), but in the meantime:

1. Has anyone had any experience with the one-bedroom suite experience on Amtrak?

2. Does anyone know why it seems to be so difficult to get info about L.A. to Chicago train schedules?

Maybe I am "doing it wrong" (although I have had no problem obtaining airline schedules), and I will call Amtrak when I have dates set -- but, meanwhile, if anyone has any answers to the above, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
For 2, unfortunately around the time the pandemic started, Amtrak removed all their pdf schedules from their website. They are starting to upload certain pdf schedules once again, but they have this new layout that isn't as clear to read as the old look was.

Honestly I'd look up pdf schedules, under the Rail Passengers Association site instead. Since their schedules, look like the old format.

For a Chicago to LA trip, you'll likely want to ride the Southwest Chief(via KC and Albuquerque and Flagstaff). You also could take the Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited(which has a through coach and through passenger car that transfer in San Antonio to the Sunset Limited, which starts in New Orleans running west and both trains combined in San Antonio to run west to LA), but that will add an extra day to your travel west to LA. Plus this option would be only available, 3 days a week. Texas Eagle is a daily train, but Sunset Limited is only 3 days a week.

https://www.railpassengers.org/resou...ak-timetables/

https://www.railpassengers.org/site/...west-chief.pdf

https://www.railpassengers.org/site/...exas-eagle.pdf

https://www.railpassengers.org/site/...et-limited.pdf (so Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday are the only days you can depart from Chicago, and do the through routing via San Antonio(where a coach and sleeper car are transferred from Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited in San Antonio, you can stay in the railcar during this switch or walk around San Antonio during this break) onto LA)

Honestly I'd probably use Southwest Chief. Since it is a quicker route from Chicago to LA, and since this train will have an observation car for the whole trip. Texas Eagle(between Chicago-San Antonio) no longer runs with an observation car, and you'll only have access to one on the Sunset Limited between San Antonio to LA.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:50 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,156,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Thanks in advance!
I can give a little insight.

As mentioned the Amtrak Website is clunky but your best bet.

Less than a year ago I took Amtrak from Jacksonville to NYC and tried the coach seat ticket. The seats are great with plenty of room but traveling overnight I could have used a blanket, pillow and noise canceling headphones as you could hear the trains horn each time we went through the crossings all night.

Before my return Amtrak sent me an email asking me if I wanted to bid on a sleeper, which I bid the lowest amount I could and it replied not likely. Well I scored the sleeper..

For me the experience was great, the sleeper room had a small sink, toilet, thermostat and comfortable bed. It was a relaxing trip back. The sleeper comes with your meals and snacks and the meals weren’t bad. There was an overhead bunk but two people for a couple of days would get old quickly.

I know there is know way I could take a long trip again in the coach seats and I have looked into the east west routes with a sleeper car but the prices are really to high for me.

Check You Tube out as there are a lot of people who document their trips like the southwest route.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:16 PM

7,152 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I took Amtrak from Syracuse New York to Reno in 2002. Although I had taken it in the past in many 12 hour trips this was a miserable experience. I can sleep well in a regular seat but for this trip I bought a sleeper. It was a few steps down from the regular seats and I was awake all night because you were riding right above the tracks. After 2 sleepless nights I moved to a seat and because it was higher up I could actually sleep.,

Old 04-27-2024, 08:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Aunt and Uncle took the Amtrak great circle from MSP to Montana, then Portland, west coast to LA, then back to MSP (at age 93).

They had a great time and stayed a week in each city where they had friends or relatives.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:48 AM

long distance Amtrak schedules don't change very much because too many cities, track utilization, people depend on "scheduled regularity".
The only theoretical sure thing about an Amtrak Schedule, is the route's departure time at the beginning.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:40 PM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Wait a couple weeks and try again but don’t wait too long.
I routinely took the Southwest Chief between Kansas City and Albuquerque and also Albuquerque to LA and used a roomette each time. It isn’t luxury but it is much better than coach. It is too tight for two people although I have done it with two in the past. That route from Chicago is two nights on the train. I suggest you use earplugs for sleeping and maybe melatonin because the train stops pretty often. Your dining car meals are included in the price and the food is much better than airline food. There is a lounge car with a snack bar. There is an attendant in charge of each sleeping car. They provide a little security since they know who belongs in that car. They sometimes have a coffee pot going in the morning.

I have found that Roomette prices vary so check several days if you are flexible on dates. It is true that the Amtrak web site sucks but you just keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel