Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 03:52 PM

451 posts, read 254,664 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I ordered AAA Tourbooks and maps. I just went to their website and I see no links for ordering AAA publications. What's happened?

Oh, and the Tourbook PDFs I find to be printer-unfriendly.

Last edited by Boothwynman; 04-18-2024 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 01:05 PM

45 posts, read 24,718 times
Google Maps and Google search happened!

Old 04-19-2024, 05:36 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
This is for my local AAA.

You may have to log into your account at your local AAA. I believe all the tour books are digital now.

I use the TripTik for planning all the time. Very helpful and I print the Overview map for very long, multi-day trips.

https://www.acg.aaa.com/travel/maps-...tourbooks.html

If you have trouble with the link, go to your local AAA website and put "tour books" into the search field.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:07 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
It's been a while since I ordered AAA Tourbooks and maps. I just went to their website and I see no links for ordering AAA publications. What's happened?

Maps? What's a map? They are museum pieces like a rotary phone.

The AAA books were filled with reviews for hotels and restaurants that were YEARS old. Irrelevant. Use TripAdvisor, yelp, whatever, and sort by newest first. Learn to use Google maps or Waze on your cellphone. Or, if you must, buy a Garmin.

(And yes, I'm old enough to be on medicare.)

Old 04-20-2024, 09:18 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
I was OUTRAGED TOO! I immediately set off to find a pay phone so I could look up their number in the phone book and dial them up to give them a piece of my mind. I stood on the street for atleast 20 minutes waiting for a horse and buggy to roll by so I could catch a ride to the nearest pay phone in town!

Old 04-21-2024, 04:18 AM

3,249 posts, read 6,309,952 times
Quote:

Unfortunately AAA no longer publishes the tour books. However you can get free printed State tour books mailed to you. Just go the each states tourism site.

Here are some examples. Just search for: Texas free printed travel guide.

https://www.traveltexas.com/plan-ahead/travel-guide/

Here is the page for New York.

https://www.iloveny.com/travel-tools/guides/

And here is a page for the Georgia guide.

https://www.exploregeorgia.org/broch...a-travel-guide

Fortunately AAA still has printed maps. I love maps!

Old 04-21-2024, 01:37 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy997s View Post
i was outraged too! I immediately set off to find a pay phone so i could look up their number in the phone book and dial them up to give them a piece of my mind. I stood on the street for atleast 20 minutes waiting for a horse and buggy to roll by so i could catch a ride to the nearest pay phone in town!
BEST of the week award!

Old 04-21-2024, 03:23 PM

130,567 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maps? What's a map? They are museum pieces like a rotary phone.

The AAA books were filled with reviews for hotels and restaurants that were YEARS old. Irrelevant. Use TripAdvisor, yelp, whatever, and sort by newest first. Learn to use Google maps or Waze on your cellphone. Or, if you must, buy a Garmin.

(And yes, I'm old enough to be on medicare.)
I like maps I like to see the locations so I can visualize it in my head. We use Google maps on my phone when going somewhere new, but maps are still fun for some of us.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:50 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I like maps I like to see the locations so I can visualize it in my head. We use Google maps on my phone when going somewhere new, but maps are still fun for some of us.

And a map will never tell you to turn left onto the railroad tracks!

A map lets you wander whilst seeing the greater landscape in your head.

Google maps (or waze or any of these) will get you from point a to point b but lack the spirit of travel adventure.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:24 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
I saved our AAA tourbooks & printed copy of maps from vacations over the years.

Oregon still has printed maps they will send you of the state scenic byways, & they might still send the paper state map.
https://www.oregon.gov/odot/programs...ic-byways.aspx

Probably many of the other states still send a map or brochure of their state. Search on Google or Bing.

Have a wonderful time exploring new backroads...

Drive Safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel