Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 978 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Kayak and there's carry-on bag and checked bag options.

I'm guessing carry-on bag refers to a suitcase that is stored in the storage space of the airplane and does not refer to a backpack that is stored above where you sit in the plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 12:06 PM

61 posts, read 32,594 times
Carryon is a item, backpack or suitcase, that can be stored under seat or above it and conforms to the airlines measurement guidelines. These measurements can be much different between US carriers and the European and Asian airlines. Be aware of what your carrier allows. Checked bag goes in the planes belly.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:14 PM

131,086 posts, read 12,245,267 times
Check the airlines restrictions, as rjs said, they vary.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:35 PM

206 posts, read 143,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Check the airlines restrictions, as rjs said, they vary.
yup, just bought tickets on Condor.

max 'carry on' is 10x30x40cm and 7 kg. (That's quite small) Briefcase

Now airlines are also docking you if you wear multiple layers to 'bulk up' to avoid adding luggage.

A Michelin Man 'donut' is a target for a strip search.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:39 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,902,872 times
Yep, you've got your vocabulary mixed up: "Carry on" is literally what you carry on. If you left it at the check-in counter before going through security - then it's checked baggage.

If you do have an actual backpack - it will go UNDER the seat in front of you.

If you something too large to fit there - then it will go overhead. But you still "carried" it on with you.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:40 PM

131,086 posts, read 12,245,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
yup, just bought tickets on Condor.

max 'carry on' is 10x30x40cm and 7 kg. (That's quite small) Briefcase

Now airlines are also docking you if you wear multiple layers to 'bulk up' to avoid adding luggage.

A Michelin Man 'donut' is a target for a strip search.
Oh bummer. I wear a vest when I travel, so it looks normal, but it has pockets on the inside & outside, so I always stuff those lol

Old 01-29-2024, 01:14 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,023,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Oh bummer. I wear a vest when I travel, so it looks normal, but it has pockets on the inside & outside, so I always stuff those lol
I could be wrong (it has happened once or twice), but I don't think those ScotteVest type vests/jackets are what the airline is concerned about. It's people wearing five shirts, three pairs of pants, two sweaters, etc.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:31 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,396,613 times
Most domestic flights allow one carry-on and one personal item and specify maximum dimensions for each of these categories. The personal item must be small enough to fit under the seat and can be a purse, small backpack, tote bag, etc. The carry-on is larger and must be stowed in the overhead bin. It can be a small piece of luggage such as a 19-22" suitcase, a large backpack, duffel bag, etc. Different airlines may have different size requirements and international flights usually require slightly smaller dimensions for the carry-on.

Most flights are full these days and eventually run out of room for carry-on luggage, therefore requiring that some people check their carry-on. This frequently happens with the later boarding groups with economy tickets. So if you do not want your laptop or important necessities like snacks, water, cell phone, ear buds, etc. to be checked and put in the cargo area of the plane, plan accordingly to ensure that these are stored in your personal item and can fit under the seat in front of you. Or wear a vest or jacket with big pockets as suggested earlier (if allowed).

Last edited by ABQ2015; 01-29-2024 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-29-2024, 04:29 PM

9,528 posts, read 5,322,881 times
I carry a small suitcase to put in the overhead (check with the airlines for measurement guidelines) and a backpack as my 'personal' bag that goes under the seat in front of me. i put alot of stuff in that. Toiletries, medication, my airplane blanket and of course wallet, etc. This works well for me and no checking bags.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:04 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkair View Post
I'm looking at Kayak and there's carry-on bag and checked bag options.

I'm guessing carry-on bag refers to a suitcase that is stored in the storage space of the airplane and does not refer to a backpack that is stored above where you sit in the plane?
Carry-on bag means a bag that YOU actually carry on to the plane. You put this bag in the overhead compartments so naturally there are size restrictions. These vary per flight. A backpack can certainly be a carry-on bag. But if it is small, and can fit under the seat in front of you, then it's a personal item.

A "suitcase that is stored in the storage space of the airplane" is a checked bag. These days, you often pay a per-checked-bag fee, but it completely depends on the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel