Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:31 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,810,300 times

Advertisements

There you go.
https://www.ncregister.com/cna/audie...tholic-schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 10:17 AM
pdw

2,684 posts, read 3,103,160 times
When I heard it was even being discussed I thought it was bizarre. In private most are pro-life probably but Catholics aren’t exactly known for being outspoken on socially conservative political issues. I find it bizarre some Catholics seem to be aligning more with the fundamentalist evangelical types, the types who don’t themselves even consider Catholics to be real Christians. I’m personally in favour of keeping the publically funded Catholic boards, but moves like this will only make the push by the secularist public to defund Catholic education even louder and more prominent. These are public places of learning. If a private tuition school did this it would be a different story.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When I heard it was even being discussed I thought it was bizarre. In private most are pro-life probably but Catholics aren’t exactly known for being outspoken on socially conservative political issues. I find it bizarre some Catholics seem to be aligning more with the fundamentalist evangelical types, the types who don’t themselves even consider Catholics to be real Christians. I’m personally in favour of keeping the publically funded Catholic boards, but moves like this will only make the push by the secularist public to defund Catholic education even louder and more prominent. These are public places of learning. If a private tuition school did this it would be a different story.
I prefer Catholic schools be privately funded. And that clergy have input on how the schools are run and what they teach.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:58 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,977 times
Quote:
Catholics are not aligning themselves with Evangelicals and many Catholics also don't view Evangelicals as real Christians. Protestants and evangelicals by the nature of their sects are anti-catholic, hence the name protestant. Their entire religion revolves around trying to debunk or be contrary to Catholics. Catholics are the original Christians (along with Orthodox churches), The number of evangelicals in the world is small compared to Catholics, what they think of Catholics is irrelevant. The type of Evangelical churches we see today are a fairly recent development.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I prefer Catholic schools be privately funded. And that clergy have input on how the schools are run and what they teach.
That is the way it should be.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
pdw

I did some reading and apparently the Pro Life flag was created by an American catholic woman. Surprising for me to read, it just rang to me as a very evangelical type thing to put a flag with an unborn baby’s footprints up on a flagpole. Catholicism is just such an ancient traditional form of religion things like that seem out of place to me. Abortion was only legalized in the last decade in the Republic of Ireland, and while many religious Catholics there were upset, you didn’t see anything like this that I’m aware of. I know the doctrine is “abortion is a sin, don’t get one and it should not be allowed” but Catholics have traditionally been more reserved and less obnoxious about this kind of stuff in comparison to Evangelicals. I guess those days are coming to an end, at least for a portion of the traditional conservative Catholics in North America.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I did some reading and apparently the Pro Life flag was created by an American catholic woman. Surprising for me to read, it just rang to me as a very evangelical type thing to put a flag with an unborn baby’s footprints up on a flagpole. Catholicism is just such an ancient traditional form of religion things like that seem out of place to me. Abortion was only legalized in the last decade in the Republic of Ireland, and while many religious Catholics there were upset, you didn’t see anything like this that I’m aware of. I know the doctrine is “abortion is a sin, don’t get one and it should not be allowed” but Catholics have traditionally been more reserved and less obnoxious about this kind of stuff in comparison to Evangelicals. I guess those days are coming to an end, at least for a portion of the traditional conservative Catholics in North America.

Catholics have always been anti abortion and have always some of the most outspoken against abortion. That fact you didn't know that doesn't mean they are becoming obnoxious. Your comment and attitude in general towards people you don't agree with poltically is actually obnoxious.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Catholics have always been anti abortion and have always some of the most outspoken against abortion. That fact you didn't know that doesn't mean they are becoming obnoxious. Your comment and attitude in general towards people you don't agree with poltically is actually obnoxious.
Or it could be a lack of knowledge about what Catholics believe. It’s easier to grow up in a bubble now and not know what other people believe about anything.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
pdw

Or people are either just bad at reading the nuance in my comments or deliberately like to misread what I’m trying to say because they have a hater attitude towards liberals. I don’t live under a rock, I know what Catholics believe. I have a very positive view of the Catholic Church. What I don’t like is people waving signs around to shame women who get abortions. Reminds me of the “god hates f—s” Westboro baptist church people. Not very Catholic to me. I grew up in the Anglican Church and our theology is very similar to Catholicism. Most of the Catholics I know in my personal life are nothing like the kind of people who would want to put these pro life flags up. The wider Catholic community is being put in the spotlight in a negative light because of an obnoxious minority, many of whom probably know less about the Bible and the Catholic tradition that even I do as an Anglican.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Or people are either just bad at reading the nuance in my comments or deliberately like to misread what I’m trying to say because they have a hater attitude towards liberals.
Says the person calling Catholics obnoxious for their beliefs.

Quote:
I don’t live under a rock, I know what Catholics believe. I have a very positive view of the Catholic Church. What I don’t like is people waving signs around to shame women who get abortions. Reminds me of the “god hates f—s” Westboro baptist church people. Not very Catholic to me.
False equivalence. That was a really terrible example. Not surprising though. You talk about hater yet lump everyone that has opposing views to you into one group.

Quote:
I grew up in the Anglican Church and our theology is very similar to Catholicism. Most of the Catholics I know in my personal life are nothing like the kind of people who would want to put these pro life flags up. The wider Catholic community is being put in the spotlight in a negative light because of an obnoxious minority, many of whom probably know less about the Bible and the Catholic tradition that even I do as an Anglican.
You have no idea what youre talking about. Catholicism is the largest Christian group. You are the only one here putting Catholics in a negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto