Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 06:23 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times

Advertisements

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-g...gion-1.6429566

What are the benefits of dissolving a region and why did the Province vote to do it? Down here in the States, organizations like the American Planning Association (the American counterpart of your Canadian Institute of Planners) have been urging municipalities to find ways to regionalize so to share resources. This move sounds like the other way around. Does anyone have thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 06:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-g...gion-1.6429566

What are the benefits of dissolving a region and why did the Province vote to do it? Down here in the States, organizations like the American Planning Association (the American counterpart of your Canadian Institute of Planners) have been urging municipalities to find ways to regionalize so to share resources. This move sounds like the other way around. Does anyone have thoughts?
It is sort of the opposite of what the cities of Toronto, Etobicoke, York, North York, East York and Scarborough did back in the 90's when these cities merged into one city of Toronto.

I know Brampton and Mississauga in particular were at odds with one another for some time, so this is a way for them to have more autonomy and control of their core services. For example Policing for both cities is done by Peel Regional Police. I'm assuming this will as a result change and that they'll be Mississauga Police and Brampton Police. Both are large cities in their own right although I can see Caledon not really being big on it as it's the small guy.

Interesting development. Ford says lots of cities with regional governance have been calling him wanting this bill, although he isn't saying who. He's a dubious character.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It is sort of the opposite of what the cities of Toronto, Etobicoke, York, North York, East York and Scarborough did back in the 90's when these cities merged into one city of Toronto.

I know Brampton and Mississauga in particular were at odds with one another for some time, so this is a way for them to have more autonomy and control of their core services. For example Policing for both cities is done by Peel Regional Police. I'm assuming this will as a result change and that they'll be Mississauga Police and Brampton Police. Both are large cities in their own right although I can see Caledon not really being big on it as it's the small guy.

Interesting development. Ford says lots of cities with regional governance have been calling him wanting this bill, although he isn't saying who. He's a dubious character.

Yes, I still have an old Rand McNally atlas from 1996 that lists Toronto and the rest as separate cities. Toronto's population then was listed as around 635,000 not the 2 million+ after amalgamation. So much regionalization took place in Canada the past 2-3 decades (Halifax in NS, Saguenay, Gatineau, Quebec City, and even Montreal in QC, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, the list goes on) that I kind of view Canada as a poster child for developing successful regions, something that's not particularly easy to do down here (and specifically in New England - forget it!). Now however, with the dissolution of the Peel Region, it seems that regionalization has not always worked to its best. Too bad. I'd think that being one's own municipality would result in higher costs for public goods and greater inequality but perhaps I am wrong.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Yes, I still have an old Rand McNally atlas from 1996 that lists Toronto and the rest as separate cities. Toronto's population then was listed as around 635,000 not the 2 million+ after amalgamation. So much regionalization took place in Canada the past 2-3 decades (Halifax in NS, Saguenay, Gatineau, Quebec City, and even Montreal in QC, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, the list goes on) that I kind of view Canada as a poster child for developing successful regions, something that's not particularly easy to do down here (and specifically in New England - forget it!). Now however, with the dissolution of the Peel Region, it seems that regionalization has not always worked to its best. Too bad. I'd think that being one's own municipality would result in higher costs for public goods and greater inequality but perhaps I am wrong.
I would agree - economies of scale. We'll see if this is just a temporary anomaly or a long term pattern.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
Quote:
as a resident in the peel region. I agree that it has more cons than benefits, if the cost of living is gonna go high. It ends up making it difficult for students and families struggling to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto