Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You have some good points. It probably works both ways creating a virtuous circle.

I agree with you about Shanghai - it is fast catching up to become a global city. I won't be surprised if it passes Tokyo in a matter of 10 years, and not just in terms of size - Shanghai already has a GDP per capita comparable to Portugal. It is becoming increasingly powerful because talented people keep moving to it, and everything good gravitate towards it.
Shanghai is growing up fast and could reach the likes of NYC or Tokyo one day. But what is the core reason why it is growing so fast in size and power? It's because of the huge economic growth of China that creates huge opportunities in Shanghai, not because people just decided to move there for the sake of it. Also the population of London is more comparable to Chicago than NYC but I would still say they share that unique vibe and influence.

Don't take me wrong though, I agree with you that a certain amount of population does help create a bustling atmosphere but to get a NYC or London-type vibe, you not only need to be bigger but you need to house 'global' institutions in business, arts, politics, education, etc. You need those kind of people to live and frequent it in droves to garner influence, attract the best of the best, and start leading by setting the trends. It's no coincidence that the most globally powerful/influencial cities are/were seats of power in the world's most globally powerful/influencial countries. This is why Shanghai has a good chance to be in this league one day.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-04-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times
Does Toronto have any kind of NYC feel/vibe?

No, and my sanity thanks Torontans for that.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,686 times
Just so you know, asking THAT particular question on this forum is the absolute worst thing you could ever do if you're looking for a reasonably thought out answer.

I suggest you come up to the city on a nice day or weekend in the new future, spend some time walking around/riding the subway/exploring the neighbourhoods and decide for yourself if it gives you any sense of being similar in feel to NYC.

Personally, as someone who lives in downtown Toronto and has been to NYC on more than one occasion, I do see some similarities, especially where street life is concerned.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Just so you know, asking THAT particular question on this forum is the absolute worst thing you could ever do if you're looking for a reasonably thought out answer.

I suggest you come up to the city on a nice day or weekend in the new future, spend some time walking around/riding the subway/exploring the neighbourhoods and decide for yourself if it gives you any sense of being similar in feel to NYC.

Personally, as someone who lives in downtown Toronto and has been to NYC on more than one occasion, I do see some similarities, especially where street life is concerned.
I'm not sure how you can accuse others of not being well thought out after this post; I know I gave a detailed response expressing my thoughts. Why don't you provide something well thought out as to why Toronto has a similar vibe to NYC?

I think Toronto is good urban city that is primarily the business centre of Canada and is very multicultural. Those are the main similarities with NYC. Toronto is still too laid back, too regional, and not influencial enough to have a NYC vibe IMO. Please don't get all sensitive here because this is not an attack on Toronto. I don't think any city on this continent (including Chicago) has that vibe and only a few do worldwide. I think we should just stop comparing Toronto to NYC and define Toronto by its own identity.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-04-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,427 times
Toronto is a great North American city, the best in Canada as far as metropolitan city goes. It has its own charm and vibes. In comparison with NYC (if you must), it shares similar infrastructure and cityscape (not architecture) that one expects to see in a typical North American city, but that's where their similarities end. TO is way too different from NYC in so many ways. For one thing, TO is far more tranquil and very residential even in downtown. Many, including myself, find that a good thing. It's more relax and easy walking around at all hours. The pace in NYC is more rapid for sure. You really have to spend some time here to feel it for yourself. It will be 100% different from your experience living in NF. Worth the try IMO.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
For one thing, TO is far more tranquil and very residential even in downtown. Many, including myself, find that a good thing.
I can't agree more. Residential, residential, residential. That's the striking difference. I was very very surprised how residential downtown Toronto is the first time I came here - I am glad more people living downtown, but the lack of decent retail on so many streets is disappointing.

Dundas West for example (except around Chinatown). Bathurst st. Jarvis st. Queen East. Bay st, University Ave. Plus All the dead quiet smaller side streets such as Huron, McCaul, Beverly, Berkeley, Ontario, Gerrard. It is just houses and apartments.

I don't find downtown being "tranquil" is a good thing. Toronto is very big and is 90% tranquil. Downtown shouldn't be tranquil. And that makes Toronto vibe not comparable to NYC at all.

Last edited by botticelli; 02-05-2014 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
If you are looking for an "NYC vibe", move to NYC. If you are looking for a "Toronto vibe", move to Toronto.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm not sure how you can accuse others of not being well thought out after this post; I know I gave a detailed response expressing my thoughts. Why don't you provide something well thought out as to why Toronto has a similar vibe to NYC?

I think Toronto is good urban city that is primarily the business centre of Canada and is very multicultural. Those are the main similarities with NYC. Toronto is still too laid back, too regional, and not influencial enough to have a NYC vibe IMO. Please don't get all sensitive here because this is not an attack on Toronto. I don't think any city on this continent (including Chicago) has that vibe and only a few do worldwide. I think we should just stop comparing Toronto to NYC and define Toronto by its own identity.
Chicago is every bit as 'provincial' as Toronto is if not more so in terms of 'vibe' imo

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
If you are looking for an "NYC vibe", move to NYC. If you are looking for a "Toronto vibe", move to Toronto.
2014 and 2015 are going to be interesting years for Toronto.. The biggest years for sales of condo's was 2011/2012 meaning that people will start taking possession of all those condo's going up in the next two years.. I think the increase in ped traffic is going to be noticeable and the vibe is going to get crazier and crazier for the T.dot! I agree we shouldn't compare vibes but in terms of a busy and dynamic core outside of NYC in N.A - I think the future is for Toronto.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
2014 and 2015 are going to be interesting years for Toronto.. The biggest years for sales of condo's was 2011/2012 meaning that people will start taking possession of all those condo's going up in the next two years.. I think the increase in ped traffic is going to be noticeable and the vibe is going to get crazier and crazier for the T.dot! I agree we shouldn't compare vibes but if any city in N.A is going to play second fiddle to having a busy and dynamic core I think the future is for Toronto.
^So true. Lots of stuff going up that will change downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto