Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 AM

266 posts, read 236,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think the OP is not putting the tornado threat into perspective. Yes we get Tornadoes in Tennessee....really bad ones that made national news a year or two ago. The entirety of the South and most of the Midwest receive them. I have lived all my 5 decades in places that get tornadoes. Tornado warnings have always been part of my life. I have seen the aftermath of tornado destruction. I have never had my own property damaged by twisters nor have I known anyone who has. There are 6 million residents of Tennessee. If tornadoes were to damage a 100 houses a year that is a tiny and statistically insignificant number of people affected each year. Tornadoes are incredibly destructive of you are very unlucky and end up being affected by one. Most residents of the tornado states never see one in their life, they only hear of their aftermath.

Coastal regions however face a vast threat from hurricanes which can be hundreds of miles wide. These monster storms cause mass destruction of whole cities and even regions. Being 300 miles from blue water I feel
Relatively safe. The OP living in Boston is far more likely to face hurricane damage than I am to face tornado damage.
What part of Tennessee? After you saw the aftermath of a tornado, did it affect you, like make you more scared of tornadoes? It seems like even people who have lived with tornadoes all their life, once they see it first hand, it changes them. But I'm not sure, that's what I am trying to ask and learn about in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 09:13 AM

DanielJ, to respond to your last point, it's an interesting one, but I doubt that it's true. Hurricanes are virtually always just strong rain storms or weak tropic storms when they get here. They will put power down sure. And if you drive in them that can be dangerous. But just stay inside and chill for a day and it's over. Maybe a tree will fall on someone's house and kill them and a couple people die once every few years.

Look at what tornadoes do to homes though. It's not 100 homes a year. It's way more. For example, "Tornadoes Destroy More Than 600 Homes in One Ohio County." This is from just one storm.

Tornadoes are wrecking thousands of homes a year. It's a lot. Each home has multiple people in it.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:46 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Trains kill that many people? I figured trains kill like zero people a year. That is surprising to me if they kill more.
Yea people are getting hit by the brightline every other day it seems like, not always fatally. 57 deaths in five years the newspaper says. that's for a line between Orlando and Miami

Old 02-21-2022, 09:51 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
The OP living in Boston is far more likely to face hurricane damage than I am to face tornado damage.
Being less than candid again.

Hurricanes in Boston, maybe 1 every 5 years and they are always either a level 1 or a tropical storm. Not likely to do much damage. And now, as we have talked about ad nausium, it is the danger of constantly having the threat, summer in, summer out. Don't have that with hurricanes.

Not to mention that homes in the area are built to take hurricanes.... homes can't do much about an EF5 tornado.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 AM

Yup. Even during the 2 ft blizzard we got here a month ago I went outside for a walk. Not sure if there has been a single tropical storm that hit us in my entire lifetime where it was so bad I wouldn't go outside. I vaguely remember one when I was little kid. Our storms are so mild I will go outside in them! Pretty sure people won't go for a stroll into a tornado!

Old 02-21-2022, 10:18 AM

256 posts, read 160,062 times
Quote:
Southeast Michigan is highly prone to tornadoes just like Indiana and Ohio are. Your right that much of Michigan is protected by the lakes but East/southeast Michigan is very much part of the tornado region.
Correct i kept reiterating that point to that poster

Old 02-21-2022, 12:15 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Being less than candid again.

Hurricanes in Boston, maybe 1 every 5 years and they are always either a level 1 or a tropical storm. Not likely to do much damage. And now, as we have talked about ad nausium, it is the danger of constantly having the threat, summer in, summer out. Don't have that with hurricanes.

Not to mention that homes in the area are built to take hurricanes.... homes can't do much about an EF5 tornado.
Most hurricanes are not the Katrina level events we think of but when that happens it is devastating for millions. Ten years ago the northeast (New Jersey) had major destruction from hurricane Sandy. In the late 1930s a hurricane did massive damage to New England. Where I live in the inland south hurricanes are only remnant tropical storms or depressions. Yes I believe Boston is more at risk from hurricane destruction than any inland place is from tornadoes.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:23 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
What part of Tennessee? After you saw the aftermath of a tornado, did it affect you, like make you more scared of tornadoes? It seems like even people who have lived with tornadoes all their life, once they see it first hand, it changes them. But I'm not sure, that's what I am trying to ask and learn about in this thread.
I am in East Tennessee. I have seen tornado destruction after the fact multiple times and in multiple states. (Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and here in Tennessee) Did it change me? Make me more afraid? No it did not. I know it can happen, I pay attention to weather but don’t obsess over it. I know statistics say that it is rare for one to be directed affected by tornadoes. Being killed in an auto accident or having a house fire is a much greater risk. Like I said tornadoes are terrible of you are involved in one but the likelihood of that is very slim. I suppose people living in the northeast just see the pictures of it on the news and have this belief that it happens all the time down here but it is not that way. For almost everyone tornadoes are not something that will happen to them. Severe thunderstorms are much more common and likely to damage your property. When that happens you call the insurance company. Things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes