Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 08:19 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure they did. They just didn't have any reason to use their teacher's phone number and home address. That was public info available to everyone via the phone book (and still is).
Right. The biggest concern now that wasn't a concern back then, is SOCIAL MEDIA; students and parents trying to look up teachers' social media accounts to get into their personal business. Sometimes, they even try to catch them slipping and get them in trouble in the media and on their job. "Oh, look! Ms. Such-in-Such has pictures of herself in a SWIMSUIT drinking an ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE on her vacation to Cancun last Summer!!! What a TERRIBLE role model for children!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 08:23 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Right. The biggest concern now that wasn't a concern back then, is SOCIAL MEDIA; students and parents trying to look up teachers' social media accounts to get into their personal business. Sometimes, they even try to catch them slipping and get them in trouble in the media and on their job. "Oh, look! Ms. Such-in-Such has pictures of herself in a SWIMSUIT drinking an ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE on her vacation to Cancun last Summer!!! What a TERRIBLE role model for children!!!!!"
Good grief! Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that issue. However, aren't there privacy settings on social media, so one can limit who one's pages are available to?

Old 09-01-2023, 08:33 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
And so what if someone did find that picture and tell others? No one cares. When I was in school the legal drinking age was still 18. For graduation the senior teachers threw a party for the graduating class at one of the teacher's houses and guess what? They served beer, wine, and cocktails.

No one is going to care if someone digs up a vacation photo, so it can't be about leverage over the teacher to "expose" them living a normal life. Oh I know, there are always some people who think they'e found something, but no one else cares, so they found nothing.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:46 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And so what if someone did find that picture and tell others? No one cares. When I was in school the legal drinking age was still 18. For graduation the senior teachers threw a party for the graduating class at one of the teacher's houses and guess what? They served beer, wine, and cocktails.

No one is going to care if someone digs up a vacation photo, so it can't be about leverage over the teacher to "expose" them living a normal life. Oh I know, there are always some people who think they'e found something, but no one else cares, so they found nothing.
It’s happened in England and other countries. In some cases in USA it’s been used as a weapon to target a specific teacher like for revenge of a parent, student, or ex-lover. Reasonable people would not get upset over such things but administrators aren’t always reasonable nor make decisions using facts and common sense.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:

You don't keep up with the news much, do you? You can google plenty of stories where students and teachers came across a teacher's social media page and got them reprimanded or fired for posting a picture where they were holding a beer on a night out with some friends after school hours, because they posted pictures of them with their same sex partner, or whatever else they were doing in their personal life and time as an adult that wasn't hurting anybody. There was a story out of the Dallas area---hardly small town Texas---just a couple of years ago about a well-liked young Black principal who got fired because some parents saw honeymoon pictures of him and his new WHITE wife on his Facebook page.

EDIT: Here is a snippet I just googled from the principal controversy right here. They suspended him at first but he eventually got forced to resign (aka FIRED) and had to look for a new job. Ridiculous.

"A black high school principal in Texas said he was told by a district official to remove an anniversary photo from Facebook of himself kissing his white wife — so as not to “stir up stuff” amid complaints from parents, according to reports."

Last edited by NoClueWho; 09-01-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-01-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good grief! Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that issue. However, aren't there privacy settings on social media, so one can limit who one's pages are available to?
I guess it depends on the site, but keep in mind, parents have also seen teachers' social media pages through mutual friends, sending friend requests under fake profiles, and other means. I know when I taught high school, even with my profile private, I had so many kids just SEARCHING my name and looking me up and trying to send me friend requests to be nosey and get on my page and in my personal business, that I eventually just changed my username to a nickname and posted profile pic of a my favorite team logo or something instead of an actual photo of me. Then and only then did all the snooping and friend requests from students and parents stop, and that was almost 20 years ago. These kids and young parents are even MORE tech savvy now and know even more ways to get in your business online.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:22 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
You don't keep up with the news much, do you? You can google plenty of stories where students and teachers came across a teacher's social media page and got them reprimanded or fired for posting a picture where they were holding a beer on a night out with some friends after school hours, because they posted pictures of them with their same sex partner, or whatever else they were doing in their personal life and time as an adult that wasn't hurting anybody. There was a story out of the Dallas area---hardly small town Texas---just a couple of years ago about a well-liked young Black principal who got fired because some parents saw honeymoon pictures of him and his new WHITE wife on his Facebook page.

EDIT: Here is a snippet I just googled from the principal controversy right here. They suspended him at first but he eventually got forced to resign (aka FIRED) and had to look for a new job. Ridiculous.

"A black high school principal in Texas said he was told by a district official to remove an anniversary photo from Facebook of himself kissing his white wife — so as not to “stir up stuff” amid complaints from parents, according to reports."
I looked it. Read more than one article. It appears the "kissing his wife on his honeymoon" photo was a bit steamier than just a kiss, but even then was merely a separate, minor, thing from the real issue over whether CRT was being taught in the classroom. Sounds more like that "kissing his white wife" is his deflection from the CRT issue. But it does make for a good cover story.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I looked it. Read more than one article. It appears the "kissing his wife on his honeymoon" photo was a bit steamier than just a kiss, but even then was merely a separate, minor, thing from the real issue over whether CRT was being taught in the classroom. Sounds more like that "kissing his white wife" is his deflection from the CRT issue. But it does make for a good cover story.
I read more than one article too, as well as saw the pics. The story made NATIONAL news and I followed it form the very beginning, because I used to live near the suburb where it happened.

1.) The pics were not "steamy"...they were just interracial.

2.) The "CRT" allegations came after they got called out for reprimanding the guy for daring to be in an interracial marriage. Basically, they were trying to go back and find something that would stick and get him removed, because they knew they screwed up reprimanding him the first time over having a white wife. It's okay, though. He has filed a nice, big lawsuit against the school district---as he should---which is way more than they were paying him per year as a principal, so good for him.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 09-01-2023 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-02-2023, 06:39 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Somehow, my friends who are K-12 teachers who are belly dancers don't manage to have that problem. Even at the wake of one recently, when the story was related that "she was found out", it still wasn't a problem.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:48 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
Things were simpler before cell phones and the Internet. In my corner of the universe (rural Tennessee in the 1960's and 70's) when we left school for the day that was the last we saw of the teacher until the next morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching