Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 16,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been poking around the forums but now I figured I might as well ask directly. We are moving to Tampa Heights most likely but not sure yet. I was wondering how is the area? We have driven through and felt OK, there is a ton of construction going on with beautiful new homes and townhomes going up. Is the area within 4-5 blocks surrounding Armature Works to West Columbus safe? What is it like to live in that area? Any input is appreciated.
I do understand, living in Chicago and Jacksonville in the past, that being close to the city you gotta have common sense but was wondering if it's like a nogo area.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 11:32 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
It’s mostly safe. Some unsavory characters will pass through on occasion, but as a whole I’d say it’s okay. Riverside Heights just to the north is about the same, maybe a little better. I like both but the schools are bad.

Surprisingly, some industrial smells will waft over from the port in Tampa Heights which you might not expect given the distance.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:29 AM

9 posts, read 2,883 times
The area around Armature Works is nice, especially with all the new homes and townhomes. Safety-wise, it's like any city, you just gotta use your noggin, especially coming from big cities like Chicago and Jacksonville.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I used to work in the Armature Works building when it was still an active business. At that time, the neighborhood was ultra-sketchy to the point where we had someone come into the office one day and hold the employees up at gunpoint!

But now, the area has gentrified significantly, and as long as you stay west of Florida Ave. you're probably OK.

I just had lunch at the Armature Works the other day, and I was clearly not one of the "beautiful people" who frequents the area. It bordered on creepy.

RM

Old 03-21-2024, 07:41 AM

12 posts, read 16,986 times
Thank you. I definitely appreciate the responses so far. Feel like I am having to make a decision quicker than I would normally due to circumstances, so wanted to get as much info as I could.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:36 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
I would never buy property in Tampa Heights or Seminole Heights for that matter. It's too run down in too many areas; homeless population and crime are up. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to some of the Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights Facebook and other forums/groups and read about what goes on. It's pretty frightening.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:37 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
I used to go out that way quite a bit to shop at Oceanic Market. I still do when I'm in the area. I... would not live there. Too many weirdos walking around. And some strong, strange smells.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:47 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
I used to go out that way quite a bit to shop at Oceanic Market. I still do when I'm in the area. I... would not live there. Too many weirdos walking around. And some strong, strange smells.
Always been a bad area.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I would never buy property in Tampa Heights or Seminole Heights for that matter. It's too run down in too many areas; homeless population and crime are up. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to some of the Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights Facebook and other forums/groups and read about what goes on. It's pretty frightening.
Got to agree. Even though parts of those neighborhoods look charming with their historic homes, and Tampa Heights proximity to downtown and Ybor, there is just too much of the unsavory element. I would never feel safe.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:33 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Got to agree. Even though parts of those neighborhoods look charming with their historic homes, and Tampa Heights proximity to downtown and Ybor, there is just too much of the unsavory element. I would never feel safe.
I was at Armature Works the other day for lunch, and I didn't feel safe. However, that was because I clearly was not one of the "beautiful people" who apparently frequent the place. It was borderline creepy.

Having worked in the building when it was still a business, I can "see" a lot of things no one would ever see or notice today. I guess Bubba is happy, though.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: