Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 02:12 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Actually, that really is inland by Florida standards. That part of Tampa Bay really doesn’t have much to offer so you’ll be 45-60m from a real beach. Not trying to debate it, just making you aware since it may be surprising to live closeish to Tampa Bay and not enjoy any benefits of it. On the plus side, your closest beach will be Anna Maria Island which is one of the best in Florida.

Also, you can be in Zone X and still close to the coast.
Very true.

I used to live in St Pete and we went to the beach all the time. Since I moved over to south Hillsborough 5 years ago I've never gone again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 03:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Actually, that really is inland by Florida standards. That part of Tampa Bay really doesn’t have much to offer so you’ll be 45-60m from a real beach. Not trying to debate it, just making you aware since it may be surprising to live closeish to Tampa Bay and not enjoy any benefits of it. On the plus side, your closest beach will be Anna Maria Island which is one of the best in Florida.

Also, you can be in Zone X and still close to the coast.

For the other areas we were looking for (Wesley Chapel, Land O' Lakes) the situation was the same, inland by the sane amount if not more (in this case north-east rather than straight east).

True, I could find zone x property not far from the water but no nice big amenities, single family homes, modern 55+ communities closer to the coast.

My understanding is that inland you get the big developments, amenities centers, etc.. closer to the water you get the ritzy restaurants and hot spots....it's a trade off.

Another thing I loved about Valencia Lakes is that they built an enormous nicely contoured lake (40+ acres) different from "waterfront properties" in other developments where often all you get is a square shaped, mud color, puddle sized retention pond.

A waterfront location was important to us (but not on the coast).

I spent countless hours looking at properties fitting my parameters and I always came back to the house I eventually bought at Valencia Lakes.

There was a house we liked as much if not more, a gated community but not 55+, Arbor Greene but it was gone before we could come to Tampa and see it.

Hopefully the Wimauma re-development project will turn the town in a nice hamlet with few ritzy choices for food in few years and they will address the traffic issues at least partially with new infrastructure.

This is exactly the sunset view I'm going to have from my new house, I guess I had to accept some compromises.

The relative closeness to Sarasota is a plus for me.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-26-2023 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-26-2023, 03:28 PM

21,914 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Very nice. Congratulations! Ignore the haters.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
For the other areas we were looking for (Wesley Chapel, Land O' Lakes) the situation was the same, inland by the sane amount if not more (in this case north-east rather than straight east).

True, I could find zone x property not far from the water but no nice big amenities, single family homes, modern 55+ communities closer to the coast.

My understanding is that inland you get the big developments, amenities centers, etc.. closer to the water you get the ritzy restaurants and hot spots....it's a trade off.

Another thing I loved about Valencia Lakes is that they built an enormous nicely contoured lake (40+ acres) different from "waterfront properties" in other developments where often all you get is a square shaped, mud color, puddle sized retention pond.

A waterfront location was important to us (but not on the coast).

I spent countless hours looking at properties fitting my parameters and I always came back to the house I eventually bought at Valencia Lakes.

There was a house we liked as much if not more, a gated community but not 55+, Arbor Greene but it was gone before we could come to Tampa and see it.

Hopefully the Wimauma re-development project will turn the town in a nice hamlet with few ritzy choices for food in few years and they will address the traffic issues at least partially with new infrastructure.

This is exactly the sunset view I'm going to have from my new house, I guess I had to accept some compromises.

The relative closeness to Sarasota is a plus for me.

Looks beautiful! Congrats again, I wasn’t trying to detract from your purchase with the coastal comments. Just wanted to make sure you were fully aware of the distance to the beach since a lot of people come here for that.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck on that redeye. I’ve had a few east bound red eye flights and they’re always a little tonight, but at least you aren’t going too terribly far.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Looks beautiful! Congrats again, I wasn’t trying to detract from your purchase with the coastal comments. Just wanted to make sure you were fully aware of the distance to the beach since a lot of people come here for that.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck on that redeye. I’ve had a few east bound red eye flights and they’re always a little tonight, but at least you aren’t going too terribly far.

Oh please do not get me wrong, I want you and others to poke holes to my choice, I need to learn from any angle what I put myself into, the good and the bad!! LOL I'm excited and terrified at the same time, this is my first second home purchase!!

About the beach distance....well consider where I come from, living in Seattle I'm a good 3 hours of plane ride from a decent warm water swimmable beach (Baja California Sur in Mexico) so for me 45 minutes of car time it's like crossing the street!! ahahahah

Joking aside, as I said before, being a bit away from the coast was actually a deliberate choice, I was not looking to buy next to a beach anyway.

I fell in love with Tampa when I worked few months there in 2002 and I did not set foot again in the city for 21 years until this November and the feeling was just the same...I absolutely love it but I know that it will not be all flowers and rainbows.

Thanks!!

Old 11-27-2023, 07:02 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Oh please do not get me wrong, I want you and others to poke holes to my choice, I need to learn from any angle what I put myself into, the good and the bad!! LOL I'm excited and terrified at the same time, this is my first second home purchase!!

About the beach distance....well consider where I come from, living in Seattle I'm a good 3 hours of plane ride from a decent warm water swimmable beach (Baja California Sur in Mexico) so for me 45 minutes of car time it's like crossing the street!! ahahahah

Joking aside, as I said before, being a bit away from the coast was actually a deliberate choice, I was not looking to buy next to a beach anyway.

I fell in love with Tampa when I worked few months there in 2002 and I did not set foot again in the city for 21 years until this November and the feeling was just the same...I absolutely love it but I know that it will not be all flowers and rainbows.

Thanks!!
Nice house, you did your homework and enjoy your new home.

Beach is over-rated. I don't need anymore sun exposure and I live bike riding distance from one of the nicest beaches on the east coast and still haven't put my foot in the water in 20+ years but then again I've lived in SE Florida for 45+ years and never more than 5-6 miles from the beach.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:31 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Beaches are overrated, like the previous poster alludes. I can count the number of times I’ve been to the beach on one hand after living here over 25 years. And when you do go to the beach, go to a really nice one like Anna Maria island.

Sort of like New York City residents who have never been to the Statue of Liberty…

RM

Old 12-15-2023, 01:27 PM

14 posts, read 16,033 times
hahahaha the haters are silenced after the backyard pic is posted. case closed

Old 12-15-2023, 03:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM24 View Post
hahahaha the haters are silenced after the backyard pic is posted. case closed

Backyard pictures do nothing for the traffic out their. Perhaps the next time I cross over the 275 over pass in Brandon, I can take a picture of the of sea of red lights. If I get the right angle, I might get the sunset.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:21 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Backyard pictures do nothing for the traffic out their. Perhaps the next time I cross over the 275 over pass in Brandon, I can take a picture of the of sea of red lights. If I get the right angle, I might get the sunset.
Or the Crosstown local/lower deck in the morning on a weekday?

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay