Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

It's daunting to think about pulling up stakes & moving somewhere where you have nobody, especially at my age; having to find new doctors, dentists, veterinarians, etc. Then I have to sell my house first. I believe my younger son and his daughter may join me. But I seriously hate this area. Just when the weather becomes tolerable you have to contend with the snowbirds and the log jam that accompanies them. I'm tired of sweating in October and having the a/c on while I'm putting up the Christmas tree. The only reason I'm here is because my family moved down here when I was 4 years old. I've lived other places over the years including Long Island and Kinston, NC but I don't want the ice storms & snow, just 4 seasons without drastic cold.

There seems to be plenty of nice 3 bedroom houses in Tallahassee for under $175K. Some of the research I've been doing says to avoid low-lying parts of Tallahassee, notably the Franklin Blvd area and the Killearn Lakes subdivision, outside the city limits on the north side due to flooding possibilities. Anything else you would advise a possible newcomer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 08:19 AM

815 posts, read 979,627 times
Tallahassee definitely has 4 seasons. It's pretty warm from May thru September, but spring and fall are beautiful. We can even have beautiful fall foliage.

I am originally from Illinois, and when I first moved to Florida 30-plus years ago, I lived in Ft Myers. I much prefer north Florida. Beautiful trees, gentle hills. Snowbirds aren't an issue, although sometimes home football games are

I don't know specifics about many areas, but flooding is easily researched. I could recommend a good realtor if you decide you want to come up and look at places. Lots of good veterinarians to choose from, as well as doctors and dentists.

You should definitely come visit and look around.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
I agree with Molly. I have a great realtor also.

Send me a private message.

Check out North Tallahassee, Buck Lake, Killearn, Southwood, Midtown, Ox Bottom, North Meridian Road, Canopy,.

You should be able to sell your house for a huge profit, and buy a house and have money left over.

Come on!

Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 AM
TD*

Franklin boulevard doesn't flood anymore.. They did a huge stormwater improvement 10 years ago, and its no longer an issue.

Killearn Lakes isn't bad for flooding either.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 AM

My house is an older 2 bedroom 2 bath in Cape Coral and while I have done all the serious improvements: new roof, soffits, gutters, a/c, impact windows, some plumbing, etc. I ran out of money to update the kitchen & bathrooms and when I knew I didn't want to stay here I saw no reason to go into debt to update them. I'm having a realtor friend come in the next few weeks and give me an idea of what it could sell for. He told me to wait until the snowbirds came down as many might like a smaller home.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:57 PM
TD*

Snowbirds should be on their way now, as it’s almost November.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I lived in Tallahassee twenty years ago. It was nice back then but I left when I found a job after Graduate School. I remember Tallahassee as the best town in Florida back then and very inexpensive. I liked the rolling land and the nice wooded neighborhoods. They said it had some crime but it was all in the southern part of town and I stayed away from those neighborhoods.

How has Tallahassee changed since the mid 80s, other than having more people? Is it a mess now like the rest of the State?
It's relatively nice. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a good place.

Among the bad things: due to the city ordinances which seldom allow chopping trees, the smallest rain and wind can cause power outages due to the small roots the trees have in this swamp area causing down trees. Also, the per capita rate of crime is the highest in Florida (which I can't explain because I don't notice crime here). Being originally from big cities, I also find it difficult that there are no nearby cities where I can go shopping.

However, people are very nice here, and rush hour traffic is not at all bad as it is in large cities. The discomfort of illegal immigration is also not as bad here as it is elsewhere. All in all, I think it's a fairly good city for children and families to live.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:25 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulPhoenix View Post
The discomfort of illegal immigration is also not as bad here as it is elsewhere.
What does this mean?

Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 AM

I'm going to assume it means illegal immigration is not as big of an issue in Tallahassee as it would be, in say, Miami.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Florida has gone downhill? It’s better than ever unless your definition of better is simply White majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee