Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 07:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Yes, but my computer and iPad don't have compatible ports.
All USB ports are compatible. You mean you don't have the right cable.

Quote:
Apple does not sell the type of cable that I would need.
Because no Apple devices use the older USB-A style anymore.

Quote:
I purchased one from another brand, and I'll try it out when it arrives. Hope it works. It's cheaper than paying for a monthly service.

It will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 11:54 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We don’t pay for Apple Music. It’s a service that allows you to access their full library for a monthly fee. But you don’t have to pay a subscription fee if you’re just using it to manage your own library of music. Is your laptop a Mac or PC?
My laptop is a PC. Can I still use it for free to sync music without paying?

Old 05-17-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
All USB ports are compatible. You mean you don't have the right cable.
That's another way of looking at it.

Quote:
Because no Apple devices use the older USB-A style anymore.
But the PC's people may need to sync with still have USB-A style ports.

Quote:
It will work.
Hope so, but another poster implied that I may have been able to do this for free.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:54 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
My laptop is a PC. Can I still use it for free to sync music without paying?
Actually, that's only true for Mac users. It seems that Windows users still use a version of iTunes for the purpose of synching your music. Sorry I mis-led you. Apple makes things incredibly easy within their own systems but not so much in the Windows world.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
But the PC's people may need to sync with still have USB-A style ports.
I know. I was referring to your comment that "Apple doesn't make a cable"... right. Because Apple isn't supporting Windows accessories.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Actually, that's only true for Mac users. It seems that Windows users still use a version of iTunes for the purpose of synching your music. Sorry I mis-led you. Apple makes things incredibly easy within their own systems but not so much in the Windows world.
In fairness, if you have Windows 11, you can grab the Apple Music app from the MS Store now. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the dumpster fire iTunes is. And it supports lossless audio!

Dunno if you can sync to iPad with a cable with it yet. Haven't tried. I have an Apple Music subscription so all my media syncs both ways anyway over the air.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:09 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I just bought a lightning to USB A cable on Amazon. It was made by Apple. The iPad 10 will work with it. (Just checked that the iPad 10th generation is USB-C so forget that.) Is that the older style you mean? If it’s USB-C on the iPad, they also sell this adapter if you need a USB-A only wire: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...0810c0c734c016.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Which makes sense, from their point of view. It's just that the market is in somewhat of a unique situation where most people use Apple phones and tablets (iPhones and IPads) but are using Windows PCs rather than Macs.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I just bought a lightning to USB A cable on Amazon. It was made by Apple. The iPad 10 will work with it. (Just checked that the iPad 10th generation is USB-C so forget that.) Is that the older style you mean? If it’s USB-C on the iPad, they also sell this adapter if you need a USB-A only wire: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...0810c0c734c016.
I purchased a USB-C to USB-A cable and it seems to work.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:38 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
I don't know about for the purpose of synching your own music (I have Apple Music subscriptions and all of my selections are from their servers), but iTtunes isn't required anymore on Windows unless your computer won't allow for an update to Windows 11 or you don't want to update to Windows 11.

I bought a new Windows computer right before Christmas (2022) and Apple Music Preview (the first Apple Music app for Windows...no more iTunes required...became available in the Apps part of The Microsoft Store online in January, and I installed it. I have the 43,000 + selections in that library (my items are from Apple's servers, but someone could have the save library (except for the videos) ripped from their own CDs) on the Laptop's SSD so I can play them offline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets