Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:45 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, are high-end tablets really worth it for the average consumer?

Considering I mainly use my tablet mostly for watching movies while traveling and not as a daily device, I find a high-end tablet hard to justify the cost. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and it seems to suit that purpose well. My typical daily devices are my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21+) and my laptop and desktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
If I was going to go the PC route I would go with a Microsoft Surface tablet. I would look at a Surface Pro 7. I am an Apple fan. I have had iPads for the last 9 years. I have an iPad Air 3. It is on par with the entry level iPad Pro. However, I keep going back and forth on getting a M1 MacBook Air.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:24 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
To actually answer the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I would like to know, are high-end tablets really worth it for the average consumer?
For what you use it for, I would say no. Do you want a new one or something?

Old 05-28-2021, 01:13 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
To actually answer the question...

For what you use it for, I would say no. Do you want a new one or something?
No, I am fine with my tablet since it is almost new. Since my daily devices are my smartphone and my two PCs, I don't think I need a high-end tablet. However, those in the Apple ecosystem don't really have options for low-cost devices.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:42 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
No, I am fine with my tablet since it is almost new. Since my daily devices are my smartphone and my two PCs, I don't think I need a high-end tablet. However, those in the Apple ecosystem don't really have options for low-cost devices.
It doesn’t sound like you need one if the one you have does what you need.I have the 2020 iPad Pro, but I had some good reasons for getting one. It wasn’t just to get one just to have the highest one at the time.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
However, those in the Apple ecosystem don't really have options for low-cost devices.
Apple has never made budget friendly devices. Are you new here? lol /joking
They released an iPad for ONLY $399 and everyone said "Wow, finally an affordable, and good, iPad".

Old 06-02-2021, 08:51 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Depends on what you want it for. Basic user? Probably don't need an iPad Pro. Power user or corporate user? They've got some features you may use.

I had the 2017 10.5" Pro and 2018 11" iPad Pro, replaced the 11" with the new 12.9" Pro. I used the pencil on mine, which wasn't available outside the Pro when I got the one in 2017. The Mrs got my 10.5" Pro when she decided she wanted an iPad and I got the new 11" one.

The draws for me were the pencil and the 120Hz screen - I can 100% tell the difference in screens and prefer high refresh. Pros also had the laminated screen, but now I think all but the base iPad do. I'm a fan of all-screen designs too, which the 11" had. I had no need for a home button.

I replaced the 11" Pro due to the battery starting to wear down. Waited for the new ones to be released since I wanted the mini-LED screen and the M1. Went to more storage this go around too.

Last edited by ReblTeen84; 06-02-2021 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-06-2021, 07:38 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I have 4 high end tablet and love them all, the better display and thinness and quality is simply worth every penny to me as I them daily. I find tablet to be one of tech's most underrated devices that ever came out.

You won't be let down by either Apple or Samsung's best.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:36 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Nope

Old 06-15-2021, 01:30 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Only thing that makes me shy away from the new iPad is the software side of things. I like to dabble in Blender, Resolve, and GIMP. The M1 iPads are powerful enough for my dabbling but, well they can't run any of them. I don't even know if there's iOS equivalents. Maybe Adobe but that's probably $200 a year or something which is rather a lot of money for dabbling here and there when Blender, Resolve, and GIMP are all free. Even if there's stuff available, the learning curve is steep on that kind of software.

As impressive as the hardware is, really the only thing I can see myself having an use for is the XDR display on the 12.9. I'm sure it's absolutely fantastic. The Pro XDR displays are. Not worth the cost at $5,000 to me but amazing displays. Portable 12.9 XDR Display to the right person alone could easily be worth $1,100. But I'm not that person. Since it's running a gimped OS that can't really run anything, the only use is watching videos which, well, it's $1,100 and that's a lot of money just for watching the limited HDR content that's out there. The $420 basic iPad will really do everything else that the 12.9 Pro will do just as well and I can't justify $700 for the screen alone.

As much as I think Apple finally has the hardware dialed in to where a tablet really is all the average person needs in a computing device, they still haven't brought the software side to the party. Perhaps being Apple and having the market share everyone will write iOS versions in the coming years. Seems rather silly though when Apple could just put an actual computer operating system on it and be good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets