Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 08:01 PM

525 posts, read 718,732 times

Advertisements

Mid-County is my favorite compared to the suburbs. I left St. Louis for Texas in 2007. Kirkwood and Clayton were safe at that time. Unless the areas have changed drastically since 2007, I believe you cannot go wrong west of Forest Park and south of Delmar Loop. Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Rock Hill are nice so are Brentwood, Maplewood, Richmond Heights, and Shrewsbury.

If I ever move back to MO, I would look into Kirkwood and Webster Groves myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 11:24 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Mid-County is my favorite compared to the suburbs. I left St. Louis for Texas in 2007. Kirkwood and Clayton were safe at that time. Unless the areas have changed drastically since 2007, I believe you cannot go wrong west of Forest Park and south of Delmar Loop. Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Rock Hill are nice so are Brentwood, Maplewood, Richmond Heights, and Shrewsbury.

If I ever move back to MO, I would look into Kirkwood and Webster Groves myself.
Still generally safe but also expensive.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:15 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
I am from St. Louis and go back parodically to visit. Last time I stayed a week on Pershing, north of Forest Park and a few blocks from Washington University and it was fine. We walked everywhere during the day. I don't generally roam the streets at night in any city, but it was a quiet neighborhood even at night. Street parking was fine.

After many visits, I prefer staying in the city over the suburbs since it is easier to get around. If I drive 1000 miles on interstates to get there, I don't want to be stuck in interstate traffic when I'm there. I have relatives in Benton Park and they seem to be fine with the area. But one must take precautions in any city.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:30 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Not a STL resident, but I remember in college thinking STL was dangerous. My only experience in STL was centered around Cardinals/Blues games or concerts at Laclede's Landing. This was 20 years ago, and my last visit to STL left me with the same impression of downtown STL. Not much to see, not much reason to go there.

HOWEVER - Forest Park, Tower Grove, Central West End.........I mean I could go on but seriously how did the college version of me miss all the awesome parts of STL? I don't live in STL, but very underrated city IMO. If an opportunity to move to St Louis presented itself, I'd for sure strongly consider it.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Not a STL resident, but I remember in college thinking STL was dangerous. My only experience in STL was centered around Cardinals/Blues games or concerts at Laclede's Landing. This was 20 years ago, and my last visit to STL left me with the same impression of downtown STL. Not much to see, not much reason to go there.

HOWEVER - Forest Park, Tower Grove, Central West End.........I mean I could go on but seriously how did the college version of me miss all the awesome parts of STL? I don't live in STL, but very underrated city IMO. If an opportunity to move to St Louis presented itself, I'd for sure strongly consider it.
There are 8 museums Downtown. Good selection of local restaraunts and shops. It offers an experience even though it appears empty. Downtown is too big for the size of the city. Lots of disinvestment and money being directed away from the city to Clayton, West Port and Chesterfield. If there was a thriving Downtown, there probably wouldn't be a West Port or plans for Downtown Chesterfield. Clayton wouldn't be a prominent as it is today.

Its easy to not connect with St. Louis or any other city if that isn't your intent. There are many people in the suburbs say they only go into the city for sports and concerts but their reason is being taught to fear the city and its people.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There are 8 museums Downtown. Good selection of local restaraunts and shops. It offers an experience even though it appears empty. Downtown is too big for the size of the city. Lots of disinvestment and money being directed away from the city to Clayton, West Port and Chesterfield. If there was a thriving Downtown, there probably wouldn't be a West Port or plans for Downtown Chesterfield. Clayton wouldn't be a prominent as it is today.

Its easy to not connect with St. Louis or any other city if that isn't your intent. There are many people in the suburbs say they only go into the city for sports and concerts but their reason is being taught to fear the city and its people.
When I say I felt no reason to go downtown, I should have qualified that with a "no real reason to go thee unless you're going to a museum or arena." Compared to Indianapolis where I live, I go downtown all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with visiting an arena or museum. If you are here to debate that downtown STL is as vibrant or more vibrant than other cities, you can go ahead and just stop. It isn't. I wish it was, and I'm sure you feel the same.

Don't let my criticism of downtown, that I stand by 100%, detract from my larger point. I think St Louis City is awesome overall. Not Kirkwood, not Clayton, not BFE whatever land; STL City. It is a great place.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:37 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
When I say I felt no reason to go downtown, I should have qualified that with a "no real reason to go thee unless you're going to a museum or arena." Compared to Indianapolis where I live, I go downtown all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with visiting an arena or museum. If you are here to debate that downtown STL is as vibrant or more vibrant than other cities, you can go ahead and just stop. It isn't. I wish it was, and I'm sure you feel the same.

Don't let my criticism of downtown, that I stand by 100%, detract from my larger point. I think St Louis City is awesome overall. Not Kirkwood, not Clayton, not BFE whatever land; STL City. It is a great place.
I love Indianapolis. St. Louis has nothing on DT Indianapolis. I think its one of the least inviting that I've seen. I will just stop like you said.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I love Indianapolis. St. Louis has nothing on DT Indianapolis. I think its one of the least inviting that I've seen. I will just stop like you said.
I agree that Downtown Indy has great things going for it. Outside Indy and nice suburbs of Fisher, Carmel, and Noblesville plus Brown County, Indiana is one of most unappealing states when it comes to scenery. Texas where I live is not that much better in scenery but at least, there are much more to do here with great jobs.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Still generally safe but also expensive.
I wonder what makes them expensive to begin with. Maybe it has more to do with the close distance to the City of St. Louis and its sports scene rather than farmer's markets and good schools. Maybe you are very familiar with Kirkwood and Webster Groves and its surrounding areas.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:34 PM

396 posts, read 653,397 times
Quote:

St. Louis downtown is sleepy compared to many of our peers - Part of that is the age of the city - It is an example of a "polycentric city" - but it is much smaller then other cities of this type (ie Chicago)

What that means is that it came of age size and density before even streetcars were widespread. So all of the neighborhoods have their own commercial centers, hence the lively neighborhoods and slow downtown - This is the exact opposite of our peer cities who might have 2 or 3 urban neighborhoods and an active downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis