Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I have to wonder how much of the downturn is Branson and how much is the national economy. I vote for the latter.
I would have to vote with Curmudgeon that it is the national economy. IMO

I would also vebture a guess that the percentage of downturn is less for Branson than some other cities in Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I would have to vote with Curmudgeon that it is the national economy. IMO

I would also vebture a guess that the percentage of downturn is less for Branson than some other cities in Missouri.
I believe a part of it is the national economy, but not the majority. Look at pigeon forge, myrtle beach, and orlando. Their tourism numbers are all UP. Branson's tourism numbers are way down. I believe lots of the older people that used to visit are slowly dying off and that does hurt branson a ton. A girl I work with just got back from pigeon forge, and she said there were a lot more things for families to do there. Plus they have three lanes going EACH way on their strip. Thats right.....6 lanes!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
they need to put in a Sex Pistols Dinner Theater (featuring the Vicious Burger), a Nelly Hip Hop Experience, maybe a Molly Hatchet deep fry diner.

the 45-60 set is not going to travel to the middle of the country to see their parents' entertainment.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I believe a part of it is the national economy, but not the majority. Look at pigeon forge, myrtle beach, and orlando. Their tourism numbers are all UP. Branson's tourism numbers are way down. I believe lots of the older people that used to visit are slowly dying off and that does hurt branson a ton. A girl I work with just got back from pigeon forge, and she said there were a lot more things for families to do there. Plus they have three lanes going EACH way on their strip. Thats right.....6 lanes!!!
I think it's great the places you named are doing well. I have never been to them and never had the desire to see them. I suspect their numbers are down even though they have more population to draw from than Branson. The high gas prices are killing everyone. IMO

Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Have a friend who loves Branson so much she ended up moving there when she retired; but like most have posted - it's the seniors who are supporting Branson, not the younger set. The biggest complaint she does have is the traffic, other than that she's not disappointed in her decision to relocate to that area.

Seems like the headliners are geared for the older generation, almost as though Lawrence Welk himself were lining up the shows.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I happen to disagree with you somewhat. I have a daughter who lives in Orlando, yes, the tourists are still flocking in, but not the way they did say, 5 or 6 years ago. She works at the airport so has a good idea about what is happening, plus you can't begin to compare Orlando or even Pigeon Forge with Branson. They draw a totally different crowd. So does Myrtle Beach...Branson is a unique place with entertainment unique as well. Everyone has his/her ideas about what is in and out, everyone likes something diffrerent. Maybe your friend has done Branson a couple of times and is just tired of it...I do think adding gambling would help, but that is a personal thing...If your friend lives in Branson, like apparently you do, of course whe would find other places more interesting and more for the kids. We all enjoy getting away and think the grass is greener on the other side. As for 6 lanes, I doubt that has a lot to do with how popular a place is..
Nita

Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
they need to put in a Sex Pistols Dinner Theater (featuring the Vicious Burger), a Nelly Hip Hop Experience, maybe a Molly Hatchet deep fry diner.

the 45-60 set is not going to travel to the middle of the country to see their parents' entertainment.
You don't get a vote. You've already been thrown out of Missouri and for obvious good reason. For every old fart who dies there are 10 coming up behind them and what you propose wouldn't fit-in with this region regardless.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
You don't get a vote. You've already been thrown out of Missouri and for obvious good reason. For every old fart who dies there are 10 coming up behind them and what you propose wouldn't fit-in with this region regardless.
I left on my own.... for obvious good reason.

Then put in something that the bubba/hoopie crowd would like, Maybe a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute show (although I think their is only one original member left), a Marshall Tucker revue, Maybe an Outlaws show....

Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
You're missing the point though. Of course, new people are getting old each day. But the new 60-year-olds didn't grow up listening to Andy Williams! Getting old doesn't magically make you like things from a generation or two before you.

Perhaps the drop in visitors is a blip or is due the economy. It'll probably take years to know for sure. But one thing is certain: Yakov Smirnoff doesn't have the same kitschy appeal he once did and DP is right that the boomers are looking for something different.

Branson is under no requirement to tailor their entertainment to the boomers, but it's certainly hard to argue from a business perspective.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
I realize that the succeeding generations will want their own music and I feel sure that to some degree, Branson can and will accomodae those desires without losing focus on what made Branson what it is, to include shows and traditional, period music.

And yes, DP, I know you left under your own power. Just ribbin' ya. But in a way you're still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area