Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times

Advertisements

What would you do: teen golfer disqualifies self, gives up medal
By Jay Busbee

Golf is a game of rules both obvious and arcane, and if you're going to play the game, you have to play by its rules. No matter what the cost.

Today, a classic "what would you do?" moment. Zach Nash is a 14-year-old Wisconsin kid who happens to be a fine golfer. So good, in fact, that he won a junior Wisconsin PGA tournament.

Problem was, he won it by violating -- albeit unintentionally -- one of golf's most straightforward rules. He had too many clubs in his bag. And the worst part? It was a total accident, discovered long after the fact.

Specifics: Nash's 77 won the boys' 13-14 division at the Milwaukee County Parks Tour Invitational, knocking off 31 other players. Afterward, Nash went to celebrate with one of his mentors, Chris Wood, head club pro at Rivermoor Golf Club. And that's where the troubles began.

Wood noticed an extra club in Nash's bag and pointed it out to him. Apparently, a friend of Nash's had left the club at his house, and Nash put it in his bag, not realizing it put him one over the mandatory limit of 14 clubs. Carrying an extra club is a two-stroke penalty per hole, but since Nash didn't account for those extra strokes, he signed what was, in effect, an incorrect scorecard, and thus would be disqualified from the tournament.

And from there, there really wasn't any choice. Nash called the Wisconsin PGA, explained what had happened, and sent back the medal from the tournament. WPGA officials plan to present it to the tournament's runner-up.

Now, it's easy to go and tee off -- pun very much intended -- on golf's drop-the-hammer rules, on Wood for bringing the extra club to Nash's attention, or to Nash himself for failing to count the club. But all that misses the point. This is a story about honesty and doing what's right, even when what's right makes zero logical sense. Sure, Nash could have rationalized away keeping an extra club, but where's the honor in that?

Congrats to Nash for standing up and doing the right thing, no matter what the cost. And hopefully there are much bigger medals waiting for him down the line.

What would you do: teen golfer disqualifies self, gives up medal - Devil Ball Golf - Golf* - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What would you do: teen golfer disqualifies self, gives up medal By Jay Busbee. Golf is a game of rules both obvious and arcane, and if you're going to play the game, you have to play by its rules. No matter what the cost.
I would as well. This is the exact reason that Mark Wilson is my Fav. golfer, that and He is from Milwaukee.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1717780,00.html (broken link)

"Wilson was struggling just to make the cut at PGA National a year ago, and needed three routine shots to finish the par-3 fifth hole during his second round. Problem was, caddie Chris Jones told Camilo Villegas, who was playing alongside Wilson, what his boss hit on that hole.
[LEFT]That's where Rule 8-1 came into play.
Giving other players advice during competition is prohibited, so Wilson paid dearly for the caddie's mistake. He called a rules official on the sixth tee and docked himself two strokes, putting his chances of staying for the weekend in serious danger. Mark Wilson went on to win his first PGA tour event".

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 AM

I guess we will just make this our own Golf Sub-Forum.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I guess we will just make this our own Golf Sub-Forum.
yep----

Deutsche Bank tourney on the tube later today. I'm hoping TW falls on his ass. I want Corey to struggle with his selection of TW and defend his choice. I still think he lied to Jim Gray several weeks ago.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:34 AM

NORTON, Mass. (AP) — Tiger Woods didn't miss many shots and didn't make any bogeys on his way to a 6-under 65 that kept his playoff hopes alive in the Deutsche Bank Championship.

Woods was three shots below the cut line going into the second round Saturday. He birdied four of his opening seven holes to eliminate any concerns about missing the cut. When he finished with one last birdie, Woods was in the middle of the pack and starting to think he had a chance to win the tournament.

The wind that arrived in the middle of his round - at times with big gusts - could make scoring harder in the afternoon. Woods is No. 65 in the FedEx Cup playoff standings. He needs to be in the top 70 to advance to the third round next week in Chicago

Read more: Tiger Woods fires 65 at Deutsche Bank Championship - Tours & News - Golf.com

Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Okay Tiger should not be on the Ryder Cup team, Mr.Pavin who I admire as a player I think buckled to the pressure of not having tiger woods on the team.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Okay Tiger should not be on the Ryder Cup team, Mr.Pavin who I admire as a player I think buckled to the pressure of not having tiger woods on the team.
I dunno, Tiger has been the #1 player in the world forever, its not like he was a huge reach--although I for sure agree there was some external pressure involved in this decision, I cant really fault him

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

I don't care if he is number for 345 years in a row if he is bad in year 346 he doesn't on the Ryder cup team. He doesn't play well in the Ryder cup, I believe we could have selected a better golfer for that course and that plays better at recent Ryder cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports