Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 AM

412 posts, read 275,252 times

Advertisements

I've been given the task of babysitting an 8 year old child with autism on Saturdays. I'm really happy as I get to take him places. I love working with kids and have many years experience, including kids with autism, but all have been very high functioning thus far. He is non-verbal though and not toilet trained.

His parents want him out of the place on Saturdays so they can get work done including working jobs from home and errands, and they have been mainly using electronics as a babysitter up until now.

The only idea I've really been given is taking him to a park, but some days I'll be watching him for 5-6 hours, and every week at the park can get overdone.

The two challenges I face mostly are finding enough outings to do to not get him bored that don't involve him playing with phones or tablets, and I also have to find out how I'm going to change his diaper when we're out when needed. His mom said usually if we can find a place like a store with a handicapped stall that usually sufficies, but if we're at a park that might be another challenge.

Indoor play places are all closed. I don't know if his motor skills are good enough to teach him anything like bowling. I don't know if he can swim or if that's something his mother is comfortable exploring.

So, help me... Any ideas apperciated Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 08:54 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Any age-appropriate museums or aquariums nearby? Does he like movies (in a theater)? Are there any art/paint your own pottery places? Have they identified anything that he likes to do? If he can put a ball on one of those kids' bowling ramps, he can bowl, especially if you put the bumpers up. Edit to say that he doesn't even need the strength to put the ball on the ramp. You can help put the ball on the ramp and he can let it go.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:39 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Why don`t you ask his parents?? They must have a good idea, of what he might enjoy.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:59 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Could be, finding a variety of things to do might NOT be that big a deal. You two might hit on something that he likes, and that's ALL he'll want to do.

But I agree, it's best to check with his parents first, and see if they know any strong preferences, or just as importantly, dislikes he might have. Also, check with his parents regarding food allergies.

For kid friendly ideas, maybe check the local library and see if they have story hour, and maybe get him a library card to check out books.

And when weather allows, he might like nature trails

If you're close enough to a zoo, kids tend to love zoos.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times
Try mini-golf.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:59 PM

I've only met his mom one time, so I didn't get to ask what he really likes to do. She didn't give too many ideas at the interview with her besides the park and if we do something that costs money, she'll pay for it.

For golf, I'm not sure if his motor skills are good for it or he has patience. He also can get a meltdown and violent episode with no notice, so I'm not sure having a golf club in his hand would be a good idea.

I'll try and get some more ideas from his mother.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:49 PM

392 posts, read 316,825 times
Autistic kids generally love Legos. However, Lego toys are expensive. One of the options is to find a Lego center where you can play with Legos by the hour. Also, Amazon have some alternative "Lego" kits for substantially less.

What about a fishing park? There are places where you can rent a pole and fish.

You can also:

- teach him how to ride a bike.

- take him to the pet store and show him the pets and fish.

- take him to Guitar Center and show him musical instruments provided the noises do not irritate him.

- take him to a ball game and explain how the game is played and the rules.

- take him to the grocery store and explain the different types of food and vegetables.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:58 PM

I looked at a Lego City set today and it was 70 dollars. That was one of my ideas too.

His mom and grandma told me he loves swimming, so that is something we can do too.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Petting Zoo? THOR Therapeutic Riding Program? Visit a Fire Station. See if there's a dog agility course in the area that you could watch. Sometimes there are "extra" pups that children can take on small obstacles.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:39 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I've been given the task of babysitting an 8 year old child with autism on Saturdays. I'm really happy as I get to take him places. I love working with kids and have many years experience, including kids with autism, but all have been very high functioning thus far. He is non-verbal though and not toilet trained.

His parents want him out of the place on Saturdays so they can get work done including working jobs from home and errands, and they have been mainly using electronics as a babysitter up until now.

The only idea I've really been given is taking him to a park, but some days I'll be watching him for 5-6 hours, and every week at the park can get overdone.

The two challenges I face mostly are finding enough outings to do to not get him bored that don't involve him playing with phones or tablets, and I also have to find out how I'm going to change his diaper when we're out when needed. His mom said usually if we can find a place like a store with a handicapped stall that usually sufficies, but if we're at a park that might be another challenge.

Indoor play places are all closed. I don't know if his motor skills are good enough to teach him anything like bowling. I don't know if he can swim or if that's something his mother is comfortable exploring.

So, help me... Any ideas apperciated Thanks!
I assume he's wearing pull ups.

to your question: maybe his counselor might have some suggestions. You may also want to join a support group for parents and caretakers of children with autism. You may find some good suggestions from the group members. This could be especially important if you have not cared for a child with this level of autism before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children