Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 02:40 PM

27 posts, read 43,217 times

Advertisements

We live in a tiny county in California and my neighbor down the way, her daughter was kicked out of school. We have only a few students per grade anyhow. They are not able to handle her needs. People in town are sorta ostracizing them, not all but they haven't become very close to anyone here.

Her daughter is 6 or so. She acts up like you wouldn't believe... but I don't think she has any intellectual disabilities. Mom is beside herself without support and they cannot afford to move. So she does the unofficial homeschooling however it's doubtful the daughter learns much. She is constantly acting up.

My questions is what would you call this situation so I can have some key words to search for resources.

If the daughter were able to go to school in a neighboring County just 2 days a wee
k. Is that a Charter School? Homeschooling? Of course she needs an IEP.

I go into a neighboring County on Thursdays so could drive her to and from school. Mom said she'd be willing to take her to school just one day a week. This would be two days however I need to get a job too. We are both somewhat poor.

I worked in the mental health field for 5 years until recently so can handle her daughter I believe. I don't think she could ride a bus even if we offered one. Her Mom would need to be with her at all times. Something is very wrong with this one however, she would be miserable. No friends living in a remote town that is snowed in and shuts down 30% of the year.

Is there any way to get paid to take her to and from school? I could commit to it but it would be a good 3.5 hrs of my day. I cannot afford to drive her otherwise, on a regular basis. I need to work too.

IS there any kind of program in California where a child can go to school just 2x a week and the Mother homeschool as she is unofficially doing now?

Is it called a Charter School? Homeschooling? I saw Public Schools offering programs geared towards her, called a Therapeudic classroom in an adjacent county however it is 5 days a week. I am 100% confident she is not ready for that. Maybe later but that is alot. Her mom said a few days a week in a classroom would be perfect

We don't have any school buses here in our County. We have one general bus that goes from one town to the next down 30 min away. It is used for the Seniors I think too (I could be wrong), although they say anyone can ride it. It's pretty expensive to ride it.

During COVID this mini bus brought meals to the kids at home, maybe it still does. It would be impossible to use it to take a student to a neighboring county, over 3 hrs round trip.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Lollipoppper; 04-04-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 03:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Is there an early intervention center you can call? The school cannot just kick her out without providing an option. That is illegal. You need to talk to someone in special education for your county.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Is there an early intervention center you can call? The school cannot just kick her out without providing an option. That is illegal. You need to talk to someone in special education for your county.
No, not here at least. And if there were one, they would still refuse services. They know what they are doing is illegal, I am confident of that.

Like I said, there is two children per grade. There is nothing here. I know it is illegal. The Mom is open to me taking her daughter however what would we be looking for? Charter or homeshool? What is it called when a child only attends an organized classroom for 2 days a week?

Then we can contact them, and the child can have an education.

My son has mental issues. We used the neighboring counties behavioral health dept and he's back to work at his old Tech job now doing great. This county and the neighboring county often work together.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipoppper View Post
No, not here at least.

Like I said, there is two children per grade. There is nothing here. I know it is illegal. The Mom is open to me taking her daughter however what would we be looking for? Charter or homeshool? What is it called when a child only attends an organized classroom for 2 days a week?

Then we can contact them, and the child can have an education.

My son has mental issues. We used the neighboring counties behavioral health dept and he's back to work at his old Tech job now doing great. This county and the neighboring county often work together.
There has to be something even if it is not close to you.

BTW, the situation you are asking about does not have a name.

https://www.dds.ca.gov/services/early-start/

Pick the one closest and call them.

BTW, the situation does not have a name. Call the early intervention for the county you want her to go to school in.
https://www.dds.ca.gov/rc/listings/

Old 04-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Thank you I will do that Monday

Old 04-04-2021, 03:33 PM

It's doubtful she will let me call. Mom wants to know the services and check out where the daughter would go herself. She will probably just wait to learn it on her own. Then call with whatever she feels is best. Sometimes it's best not to just show up letting them organize your life but to learn the services, you yourself then request them.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:34 PM

Here is a map of the centers in pdf format

https://www.dds.ca.gov/wp-content/up...DDS_RCMap.pdf/

Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 PM

Thank you Nano but I am elated to say, I don't think it is needed.

We just came from a neighbors B-Day party and the girl & her Mom were there.

The 5 year old girl did fantastic! She actually turned 5 only 3 months ago so she is pretty young

Mom said "I don't know what to think, she doesn't even notice i am here"

I think the Mom has a mental illness. I Not because she said that but because I could see the deep hurt in her eyes watching her daughter play with the other kids. It was as if she was only thinking of herself not realizing how essential it is for her daughter to have playmates. COVID has surely exasperated her daughters behavior. The situation will likely work itself out, somehow. I think this coming year her daughter may be allowed back in school and do much better. Two new families moved in with kids who were at the party and she played with their children. We are having all three families over for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children