Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 08:51 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times

Advertisements

NASA is Planning to Shut Down One of the Great Observatories to Save Money

Quote:
The US Government budget announcement in March left NASA with two billion dollars less than it asked for. The weeks that followed have left NASA with some difficult decisions forcing cuts across the agency. There will be a number of cuts across the agency but one recent decision came as quite a shock to the scientific community. NASA have just announced they are no longer going to support the Chandra X-Ray Observatory which has been operational since 1999 and made countless discoveries.
That's unfortunate news. I've seen quite a few papers citing results from the Chandra X-ray Observatory. It would seem like this is going to be a major loss for astronomy. Hopefully there will be a replacement at some point.

A Glance at Chandra's Major Achievements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 12:28 PM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
The article also says Chandra has some issues regulating the temperature of the telescope and internal hardware. I guess they can easily use that excuse then to "save money."

I would hope we got enough observation tools out there now at least to keep looking at the universe like JWST, Roman telescope and all the huge land telescopes ready to be built.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:59 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
The article also says Chandra has some issues regulating the temperature of the telescope and internal hardware. I guess they can easily use that excuse then to "save money."

I would hope we got enough observation tools out there now at least to keep looking at the universe like JWST, Roman telescope and all the huge land telescopes ready to be built.
None of those observe in the X-ray band. However, there are other orbiting X-ray telescopes currently in operation: XMM-Newton, Swift, XRISM, and IXPE. I don't know how much their capabilities overlap with Chandra.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:15 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
NASA: Not A Space Agency. Unless something changes, future space exploration will have to come from China and other countries.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:46 AM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
Here's a good article from Space.com that talks more about Chandra. Has some good photos in here also:

The Chandra X-ray spacecraft may soon go dark, threatening a great deal of astronomy
https://www.space.com/chandra-x-ray-...-fy2025-budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space