Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 06:48 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
MS and LA are similar and cheaper but not WAY cheaper lol.
Yeah..writers have been chomping at the bit to take some of the wind out of SC sails... LOL. If not this, some other story would grab the headlines to cast SC in a negative light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 04:46 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Downtown Charleston used to be rural too.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:00 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Downtown Charleston used to be rural too.
It’s urban and it grew incrementally and organically. I’m not against founding a town that could someday become a city in a now rural spot if it makes sense. Human settlement in the form of cities, towns and farms makes sense. St. George residents would love for their downtown to grow, as well as their town on its existing grid. But they don’t want suburban Charleston and typical suburban sprawl to run them over.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:27 PM

Downtown Charleston is one of the first examples of sprawl in this country. The businesses shifted over to King Street when the railroad was built. King Street was originally a service ally behind the wall around Charleston.

Most Americans don't have a problem with surburbia.

I doubt most residents of St George think about their town growing in terms of a street grid. That sounds like a big city urbanist. Most of em going to be happy with a Home Depot, etc.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Downtown Charleston is one of the first examples of sprawl in this country. The businesses shifted over to King Street when the railroad was built. King Street was originally a service ally behind the wall around Charleston.
How does that qualify as sprawl?

Old 12-30-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Most Americans don't have a problem with surburbia.

I doubt most residents of St George think about their town growing in terms of a street grid. That sounds like a big city urbanist. Most of em going to be happy with a Home Depot, etc.
Happy with Home Depot, but mad about large housing subdivisions that would house the people that gave Home Depot the numbers they needed to locate there in the first place. Most people in small towns believe their town’s only options are shrinking, stagnating or having suburbia come knocking with big boxes built where horses used to graze or soybeans used to grow. With thoughtful design, small towns’ downtowns can flourish, and would-be big boxes with seas of asphalt for parking could instead be woven into the fabric of the town’s existing footprint, as could new housing.

And very little if anything on the Charleston peninsula represents suburban sprawl, neither colonial nor modern day.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:47 AM

I think a majority of people would choose to live in Mt Pleasant or Summerville over the Charleston peninsula. Less crime, newer housing, more retail.

St George's downtown won't flourish if it doesn't have suburbs.

Making Charleston's peninsula more dense doesn't sound appealing. Seems like you would have to build a bunch of tall buildings to achieve that.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-30-2023 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-30-2023, 03:01 PM

It's interesting SC has had one of the highest percentage population growth rates during the covid era given it was one of the states many people scapegoated for covid infections. I thought the state would have a ton of restrictionists head out for California and similar states. Population increased even though we were told told covid was wiping SC residents out at a higher rate relative to most states.

All of my life I've seen / heard people beating up on this state but it keeps growing. SC is basically the state version of Michael Jordan when he had flu and then dropped 40 plus. It goes in beast mode against all odds.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-30-2023 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-30-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I think a majority of people would choose to live in Mt Pleasant or Summerville over the Charleston peninsula. Less crime, newer housing, more retail.

St George's downtown won't flourish if it doesn't have suburbs.

Making Charleston's peninsula more dense doesn't sound appealing. Seems like you would have to build a bunch of tall buildings to achieve that.
Wrong. There are gobs of parcels and plenty of land to build on the upper peninsula along the spine where the ground is highest. There’s no reason the only way towns the size of St. George can grow is by suburban design and development. Manhattan was once rural. Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island, too. They don’t have a southern metro sprawl design. We don’t have to keep designing and building that way either. BTW, Mount Pleasant has severely restricted the construction of more housing. I guess they believe Awendaw needs sprawl and thousands more people. The Charleston part of West Ashley has gobs of room to grow as well, and it needs to get more urban.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:46 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
It's interesting SC has had one of the highest percentage population growth rates during the covid era given it was one of the states many people scapegoated for covid infections. I thought the state would have a ton of restrictionists head out for California and similar states. Population increased even though we were told told covid was wiping SC residents out at a higher rate relative to most states.

All of my life I've seen / heard people beating up on this state but it keeps growing. SC is basically the state version of Michael Jordan when he had flu and then dropped 40 plus. It goes in beast mode against all odds.
I mean SC had in total 20k~ deaths since covid started attributed to Covid. Not great but that's over the course of nearly 4 years now so i mean.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina