Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:27 PM

271 posts, read 57,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

Sometimes the cynic in me hates modern football, hates the endless sponsorship, the state owned clubs etc but I will always watch a game of football. I will always watch Manchester United. If I didn't, the young me would never forgive the present me, and as I have been away for a long time now, I find outside of family, Manchester United FC is the thing that connects me with home more than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post

As to your second question about arguing and fighting for the club, not so much the club but the country. All of my relatives to this day support England with a passion that sees them make seemingly irrational statements about the national teams of a select few other countries, Scotland, Germany and of course Argentina..

Very interesting what you say. I stopped being a fan around the age of 13, when I understood that football had a lot of business and little of sport.
But I don't mean I own the truth; maybe you're right and I'm wrong. We can politely disagree.
I feel that you are well-educated people and yet you are fans. You remind me of a friend I have here, who is also highly educated and a fan of the Talleres club. He goes to watch all the home games, buys the shirts (even if they cost 5 times more than an ordinary shirt), and of course pays the membership club fee. When I tell him what I've said here, he tells me "Talleres es un sentimiento"( that the club is a feeling). That I don't feel it and that's why I can't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 04:38 PM

271 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I saw England play Ireland in Stuttgart in 1988 in the European championships. I was more worried for my own safety standing with the English fans than at any other stadium I ever attended, more than any North London derby ever....the game was abysmal from an English point of view and the English fans started fighting amongst themselves, the Irish fans i met before and after were great however
What you tell happened in 1988. So we can think that today the situation is much better. At least in the UK and Europe.
Here that situation persists, it is not uncommon to see fights
between fans of the same club.
In addition, on Argentina's stadioums, the public is separated from the field of play by a very high wire that ends with barbed wire. Something that closely resembles a concentration camp. So I've sworn never to set foot in a stadium here again as long as these conditions are maintained. That is... most likely, I will die without setting my foot in a stadium again.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:34 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
What you tell happened in 1988. So we can think that today the situation is much better. At least in the UK and Europe.
Here that situation persists, it is not uncommon to see fights
between fans of the same club.
In addition, on Argentina's stadioums, the public is separated from the field of play by a very high wire that ends with barbed wire. Something that closely resembles a concentration camp. So I've sworn never to set foot in a stadium here again as long as these conditions are maintained. That is... most likely, I will die without setting my foot in a stadium again.
i have not lived in England since 1992 so cannot be certain when I say violence at games is much better, I think Police have better intelligence to ward off trouble and keep those who would fight separate BUT the mob mentality of the crowds is still just that - during a recent FA Cup tie between local rivals West Brom and Wolves there was trouble inside the ground. I saw fand made videos on You tube that make me shake my head, whilst not directly engaged in fighting the chanting and apparent disdain for the opposition from men in their mid to late ages ( 50+) was disgusting and obviously they get carried away with a mixture of alcohol and the infamous mob mentality in which to do and say things they would not have the courage to do or say on the street AND violence is not solely a British issue, it is still seen anywhere you want to see it in Europe

Old 02-15-2024, 07:38 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Very interesting what you say. I stopped being a fan around the age of 13, when I understood that football had a lot of business and little of sport.
But I don't mean I own the truth; maybe you're right and I'm wrong. We can politely disagree.
I feel that you are well-educated people and yet you are fans. You remind me of a friend I have here, who is also highly educated and a fan of the Talleres club. He goes to watch all the home games, buys the shirts (even if they cost 5 times more than an ordinary shirt), and of course pays the membership club fee. When I tell him what I've said here, he tells me "Talleres es un sentimiento"( that the club is a feeling). That I don't feel it and that's why I can't understand it.
I agree with your friend

I honestly think fandom ties itself into nostalgia more than anything else really. The night of 26th May 1999 will stick with me for as long as I live. Nothing could tear me away from the club, though the rumors of Qatari ownership made me think twice.

I used to work with a couple of Argentinian colleagues, down in Buenos Aires, one was a River Plate fan, one a Boca fan. They got on fine until I mentioned the football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer