Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 02:00 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,561,850 times

Advertisements

I don’t see Harry going to City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 2,851 times
City continue to match on

Old 06-04-2023, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 2,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Either United or Madrid

Old 06-05-2023, 05:17 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
I was referring to Manchester United.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:38 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
I managed to see the opening goal live at 12 seconds. From there, I was expecting a slaughter but City wasn't clinical in the first half. Towards the end, it was looking like ManU could score the equalizer and have a chance to win on PK. I hate both teams so I'm not sure why I was watching.

I got to see Leicester practice losing to Championship teams in February with 1-2 loss against my Blackburn Rovers. Goal scorers Tyrhys Dolan and Sammie Szmodics both claim to be 5'7" and look smaller than that so a victory for the Shire.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I managed to see the opening goal live at 12 seconds. From there, I was expecting a slaughter but City wasn't clinical in the first half. Towards the end, it was looking like ManU could score the equalizer and have a chance to win on PK. I hate both teams so I'm not sure why I was watching.

I got to see Leicester practice losing to Championship teams in February with 1-2 loss against my Blackburn Rovers. Goal scorers Tyrhys Dolan and Sammie Szmodics both claim to be 5'7" and look smaller than that so a victory for the Shire.
I felt the same way. That initial score was fortuitous. If you run that series 1000 times, it never results in a goal. Just everything was in the right place. But City was vulnerable on the counter. I was sort of pulling for it. They are a very strong team, but they are hardly unstoppable. They will just outscore most good teams. but a good defense with a strong counter, its how Tottenham keeps giving them trouble.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:42 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
I found the media narrative after this game a bit misleading. I listen to a lot of football shows, and almost all of them claimed there was a huge gap between Man City and Man Utd in this game. I just didn't see that.

What I did see was a banging first goal, caught Man Utd cold, but after that slowly and surely Man Utd came back into it, ending the first half strongly with that dubious penalty (by the current interpretation of the laws of the game it's a penalty, but we all know it's not). The winning goal should never have happened, leaving Gundogan on the edge of the box alone once in a game is forgivable, but twice is stupidity - and Man Utd almost equalized near the end.

I just didn't see the gap between the sides other than the quality of the substitutions.

Oh well, I'm off to support Inter Milan.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I found the media narrative after this game a bit misleading. I listen to a lot of football shows, and almost all of them claimed there was a huge gap between Man City and Man Utd in this game. I just didn't see that.

What I did see was a banging first goal, caught Man Utd cold, but after that slowly and surely Man Utd came back into it, ending the first half strongly with that dubious penalty (by the current interpretation of the laws of the game it's a penalty, but we all know it's not). The winning goal should never have happened, leaving Gundogan on the edge of the box alone once in a game is forgivable, but twice is stupidity - and Man Utd almost equalized near the end.

I just didn't see the gap between the sides other than the quality of the substitutions.

Oh well, I'm off to support Inter Milan.
I agree other than the comment on leaving Gundogan on the edge of the box twice. No one left him anywhere on that first play. It was a freak occurrence than no one could replicate if they tried. Its part of what makes the game so beautiful, but there is no reason to worry about having a man on someone where the goal percentage is in the hundredths of a percent.

All that said, I agree with the rest. They played to their respective strengths. It was really just one freak goal away from going to extra time. City's depth may have carried the day in extra time, but it was not a one-sided game.

On the PK, I get it. I hate the current rule on handling. This should not be a foul, but it is as currently played. so the call was correct. I really thought MU was going to equalize. City looks very bad on counters down the left especially.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:25 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

not sure if your reading UK based media but they are notoriously off, I remember going to Arsenal games in the 80s at Highbury, watching them dominate and totally destroy the opposition and for the Sunday papers to report that it was a dour un-eventful event

Old 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
not sure if your reading UK based media but they are notoriously off, I remember going to Arsenal games in the 80s at Highbury, watching them dominate and totally destroy the opposition and for the Sunday papers to report that it was a dour un-eventful event
Another 1-0 to the Arsenal was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer