Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 05:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a bit about "retirement residences" in Sioux Falls? I suspect they aren't 55 plus places like Arizona, but as I age or have health problems that require some help, I would probably have to consider one. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 07:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
No response in this thread makes me scratch my head, but also parallels, in a sense, something I've observed over a considerable time period searching for senior rentals on apartments.com. There are many sites available for housing searches, but I've found apartments.com to be, by far, the best for Senior Housing search.

On that site there are always properties listed for Des Moines, Omaha, Cedar Rapids, Fargo, usually one or two for Bismarck, Sioux City, Pierre....even Mitchell and Mason City. But never anything in Sioux Falls - over the last couple of years, at least, when I've been searching almost daily. There could have been something 6 months ago that I've forgotten about, but essentially the senior housing cupboard is always bare in Sioux Falls.

I wonder how we explain that. There's gotta be some senior apartments there, but they seem to elude attention for some strange reason. Is it because supply is so short that there's never any vacancies? I can only guess and conjecture.

Anyway, I've been watching your post for responses. But the lack thereof seems to resonate with what I've found on apartments.com.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:35 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
"Life is Sweet, at Stonybrook Suites" doo doo doo la la. (It's an ad that's on tv constantly.)

And Trail Ridge and Touchmark, etc. They're not that hard to find on-line.

We're just too lazy to answer, that's all.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:46 PM

Fascinating....I'd really like to understand why the Great Plains forums are so dead. This one is just one more example in a long history of same.

In another life, I spent a good many years there are and, from that experience and lots of other info available online, consider(ed) it a pretty good place to live. I'd like to see this phenomenon where so few have anything to say about it as, somehow, a good thing. But I'm not so sure.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:31 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Fascinating....I'd really like to understand why the Great Plains forums are so dead. This one is just one more example in a long history of same.

In another life, I spent a good many years there are and, from that experience and lots of other info available online, consider(ed) it a pretty good place to live. I'd like to see this phenomenon where so few have anything to say about it as, somehow, a good thing. But I'm not so sure.
Unemployment in South Dakota is among the lowest in the nation. Not as many can post on the various sites because they're at WORK.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Unemployment in South Dakota is among the lowest in the nation. Not as many can post on the various sites because they're at WORK.
Good point - thank you for that reminder. I wouldn't be here either if I were younger and not retired.

I think a lot of CD posting is done by those at work as well, but probably mostly by those on the coasts, lacking the work ethic of middle America. There may be the positive spin on this observation that I was hoping for.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls