Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 12,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are thinking if moving to Sioux Falls, but I'm just learning it is windy. Is it crazy windy, like year round make sure everything is bolted down, or is there a season? How windy does it get? Thanks for any insight!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 02:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove243 View Post
Hi,

We are thinking if moving to Sioux Falls, but I'm just learning it is windy. Is it crazy windy, like year round make sure everything is bolted down, or is there a season? How windy does it get? Thanks for any insight!
During the summer in the northern plains, the winds are somewhat less strong compared to the other seasons. If you want to avoid the wind you're out of luck and in the wrong region of the country. If you want less wind across the board you have to be in more densely wooded areas east of the Mississippi River. A place like Wausau, Wisconsin has far less wind compared to Rochester, MN. Rochester, MN is somewhat less windy than Sioux Falls, but not by a great extent.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 12,290 times
Ok, thanks so much!

Old 01-03-2022, 10:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Here's my completely non-scientific explanation: Wind speed has a worse affect in areas that are flat, because there are no obstructions to disperse it. So on the Plains, outside of cities and areas where there are lots of trees, the wind can take your breath away and drive you nuts with the sound, and it can create super dangerous driving conditions. However, in cities (like Sioux Falls), in the woods, and on hillsides, the wind is much less noticeable or bothersome.

So, IMHO, the wind in Sioux Falls itself isn't a big deal. (I don't live there though, just shop there.) I live an hour away and my house is built into a hillside and surrounded by woods, and the wind never seems bad to me here at all. But I never drive to SF on I29 on a very cold windy day, because I'm afraid of black ice.

Anyway, if you're picking a place to live in SF, if wind bothers you just pick a place in an older neighborhood that has plenty of mature trees, or place with lots of taller buildings, or a hilly area. Just avoid the new subdivisions in flat areas that don't have trees or buildings or hills to act as wind breaks. And if you pick a suburb just be careful in the winter when driving through areas with no windbreaks.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Here's my completely non-scientific explanation: Wind speed has a worse affect in areas that are flat, because there are no obstructions to disperse it. So on the Plains, outside of cities and areas where there are lots of trees, the wind can take your breath away and drive you nuts with the sound, and it can create super dangerous driving conditions. However, in cities (like Sioux Falls), in the woods, and on hillsides, the wind is much less noticeable or bothersome.

So, IMHO, the wind in Sioux Falls itself isn't a big deal. (I don't live there though, just shop there.) I live an hour away and my house is built into a hillside and surrounded by woods, and the wind never seems bad to me here at all. But I never drive to SF on I29 on a very cold windy day, because I'm afraid of black ice.

Anyway, if you're picking a place to live in SF, if wind bothers you just pick a place in an older neighborhood that has plenty of mature trees, or place with lots of taller buildings, or a hilly area. Just avoid the new subdivisions in flat areas that don't have trees or buildings or hills to act as wind breaks. And if you pick a suburb just be careful in the winter when driving through areas with no windbreaks.
Good advice for the OP, finding the heavier tree coverage areas are a big component to avoid the more severe winds.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:15 PM

249 posts, read 241,641 times
Souix Falls is not "crazey windy" but the rural prairie of South Dakota can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: