Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 05:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times

Advertisements

I'm going to move to Sioux Falls sometime before winter.

I am an elderly, conservative woman and will be looking for an apartment or small house to live in while I sell my home on the West Coast. Then I'll start looking for just the right property to buy.

Can anyone give me advice on which neighborhoods are friendliest to older, quiet folks? I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, but haven't been there in almost 50 years. I like some of the apartments in the Beadle Greenway, having pleasant memories of the neighborhood from childhood.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 PM

Also, I'm looking for a good storage facility. The one I'm using now, here in Washington, is surrounded by a 10 foot fence, topped with concertina wire, and only one gate that you need a code to open.

I've looked at a few storage places in Sioux Falls and none of them look very secure. I have a history of having a storage unit broken into and important items stolen, so I'm touchy about this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:09 AM

142 posts, read 308,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Can anyone give me advice on which neighborhoods are friendliest to older, quiet folks? I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, but haven't been there in almost 50 years. I like some of the apartments in the Beadle Greenway, having pleasant memories of the neighborhood from childhood.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
My universal advice is to spend some modern time in the neighborhood you're looking at if you haven't already.

A lot has changed since 1970 and if I was an elderly woman I would shy away from the area you mentioned. There are a lot of low income apartments close by. The Department of Social Services is right there on East 10th Street and the Gospel Mission, Hospitality House, etc. are just a hop, skip, and a jump away. People are frequently loitering around that area and around the parks on the river. Not saying you'll walk out your door and immediately be robbed or attacked but if something will happen I feel the likelihood is much higher in that area.

As a general rule, if I was going to rent in Sioux Falls I would look in Lincoln County (along 57th Street or south) or on the far east or west sides of town.

Edit: As for storage, it is what it is. I wouldn't put anything truly important or valuable in a storage facility regardless of what state it's in but that's just me.

Last edited by CoteauKid; 06-20-2021 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
My universal advice is to spend some modern time in the neighborhood you're looking at if you haven't already.

A lot has changed since 1970 and if I was an elderly woman I would shy away from the area you mentioned. There are a lot of low income apartments close by. The Department of Social Services is right there on East 10th Street and the Gospel Mission, Hospitality House, etc. are just a hop, skip, and a jump away. People are frequently loitering around that area and around the parks on the river. Not saying you'll walk out your door and immediately be robbed or attacked but if something will happen I feel the likelihood is much higher in that area.

As a general rule, if I was going to rent in Sioux Falls I would look in Lincoln County (along 57th Street or south) or on the far east or west sides of town.

Edit: As for storage, it is what it is. I wouldn't put anything truly important or valuable in a storage facility regardless of what state it's in but that's just me.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely take it to heart. In fact, you are the third person who has expressed concern about that part of town. When I lived there 60 years ago, it wasn't the greatest neighborhood either, but I was too young to know it. On google maps, it looks fairly nice. I will check out all of those entities you mentioned that might be cause for concern.

I have just found a newer storage facility on East 41st that looks like they might be a bit more secure. I have furnishings for a two bedroom apartment, but I also have furnishings and boxes of stuff related to my business.

Cheers and thanks a million!

Old 06-27-2021, 10:20 AM

72 posts, read 85,847 times
There's an apartment complex on Grand Slam Drive off of east 41st that is right next to a new huge storage facility. Having both together may not be such a bad idea.

The east side is being built up nicely. It's not as sparsely populated yet so it's easier to get around. But forget about W 41st Street for driving or shopping. Just a madhouse, especially on the weekends. You can't squeeze MN and SF traffic into four total lanes.

That said, the area is becoming more liberal by the year. Everyone is offended by everything. Everything. And you'll probably hate the way people drive here (slow). Downtown is really bad for liberal activity. The conservatives tend to not talk about politics, and for the liberals here it's all they talk about and you can smell them a mile away and see them because they congregate. Lots of PC stuff shoved in your face via billboards, yard signs, and t-shirts...there's an assault on Christianity here as well and they want anything BUT Christianity. Just warning you that this poison that started in California (probably Rome, actually) has seeped into eastern SD now. The devil is tightening his grip.

Housing is going through the roof too.

It's possible for you to consider a smaller community outside SF as well. I'm moving south, myself.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
There's an apartment complex on Grand Slam Drive off of east 41st that is right next to a new huge storage facility. Having both together may not be such a bad idea.

The east side is being built up nicely. It's not as sparsely populated yet so it's easier to get around. But forget about W 41st Street for driving or shopping. Just a madhouse, especially on the weekends. You can't squeeze MN and SF traffic into four total lanes.

That said, the area is becoming more liberal by the year. Everyone is offended by everything. Everything. And you'll probably hate the way people drive here (slow). Downtown is really bad for liberal activity. The conservatives tend to not talk about politics, and for the liberals here it's all they talk about and you can smell them a mile away and see them because they congregate. Lots of PC stuff shoved in your face via billboards, yard signs, and t-shirts...there's an assault on Christianity here as well and they want anything BUT Christianity. Just warning you that this poison that started in California (probably Rome, actually) has seeped into eastern SD now. The devil is tightening his grip.

Housing is going through the roof too.

It's possible for you to consider a smaller community outside SF as well. I'm moving south, myself.

I'm only going to be in SF until I sell my home on the west coast and am ready to buy. There are nice rural parcels of five acres with decent homes on them! And I can sell my home and pay cash for any one of them and still bank some. Housing is crazy high here too!

I kind of figured that the devil had made his way into SoDak. I saw him in SF back in the 70's, so no surprise. That's why I want to be out in the sticks, where I can just put up a "No Trespassing" sign! And if that doesn't work, then one of these. https://www.amazon.com/LL-Home-Metal...s%2C219&sr=8-3

Yes, I saw that complex out on the east side and am looking closely at it. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: