Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:07 AM

22 posts, read 53,886 times

Advertisements

I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers but thankyou for the responses anyway. Hardly any of my points or questions we’re addressed ^^^^. Any information at this point is better than no information, so I appreciate it. Some of you are not acting so mid-west friendly. I’m really not looking for any bad things on purpose but one quick look on google or YouTube about Sioux Falls specifically says a lot. The rape issue in Sioux Falls just really seems like an issue. And I repeat Sioux Falls not 300 miles away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Nothing east of the Mississippi is better than Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls is better than Des Moines. Sioux Falls is better than Minneapolis.

It is not as good as Fargo. Of course it is prettier than Fargo and not quite as cold.

Wife loves her home in Texas. She would sell it and move to Sioux Falls if I could get transferred back there.

Cheers
Qazulight
Thankyou for your response! I loved it also , as I said we visited this past March . I’m sure I loved it for the same reasons your wife did . I neverrr once said anything bad about Sioux Falls . What I simply voiced my concern about was the statistics that baffled me also. We never felt like the place was sketchy at all. That’s why I came here asking for residents to possibly enlighten me but it seems like I’m getting more backlash then anything lol. I don’t know what type of “who’s town is better” war I may have stepped into but I’m waiving the white flag .

Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Both Long Island and New Jersey are revolting, overpopulated, nasty places full of unpleasant, loud, screechy people. If you enjoy living there, OP, you won't be happy here at all. South Dakota is too clean and spacious and calm and the people are too nice here; you won't be used to it. Don't bother thinking of coming here anymore. Stay on the East Coast.
Thanks for your kind words. So basically there isn’t any truth to the crime rise stats?? All of the bad things are just blamed on the natives ?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichick101 View Post
Thankyou for your response! I loved it also , as I said we visited this past March . I’m sure I loved it for the same reasons your wife did . I neverrr once said anything bad about Sioux Falls . What I simply voiced my concern about was the statistics that baffled me also. We never felt like the place was sketchy at all. That’s why I came here asking for residents to possibly enlighten me but it seems like I’m getting more backlash then anything lol. I don’t know what type of “who’s town is better” war I may have stepped into but I’m waiving the white flag .
Some people are a little defensive.

I have lived on the East Coast, Statin Island (circa 1980) and near D.C. (circa 1990) There is no comparison. Yes the crime rate is rising in Sioux Falls. It is growing into a big city with all the American big city problems and advantages. The steep rise in crimes is a result of starting off of a low base. Foe example, if there was one rape in 2017 and 2 rapes in 2018 then the incedence of rape will have risen 100 percent year over year and if there had been no rapes in the past 5 years and one the 5 years before, the rate over the last decade would be up dramatically. Moreover, the last three raps could have been one serial rapist passing through town.

I am not saying this is what happened! I do not know what happened, I am just explaning how one can get odd percentages off of a low base.

As far as the snipishness you have received, that is the reason why like Northern Minnisota and North Dakota better than Sioux Falls. This is despite the fact that Sioux Falls is prettier, has better weather and lower taxes. I will note, the further south you go in the md west the worse it getd, Sioux Falls is about as far south as I would willing live. It could be worse, they could have sent you to Des Moines.

Cheers
Qazulght

Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Me and my husband are planning on moving to Sioux Falls sd from New Jersey for a job opportunity he has but I keep reading all these bad reviews about the crime on the rise and mostly about it being the second highest RAPE state other than Alaska ??! I plan on having children and as a woman myself I do not want to be in constant fear for my future daughters and I getting attacked ! Can someone that lives there please enlighten me on what this very bad statistic is about ? Please I’m extremely worried. Thanks ! Sorry for the rant
Oh my God. Sioux Falls is a wonderful place to raise a family and live. 250k metro. Lots of things to do and very safe for the most part. If I was young and looking for a nice place to raise a family, it'd be at the top of my list.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:37 AM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
Quote:
lichick101 - I think everyone is exasperated and became cynical in their posts because you seem to lack trust in people who live here who say it's a very nice place, safe and clean etc. Midwest people are very trusting up front which may not be a trait where you live. If you really need to see statistics, taking a look at crime stats right here on CD I found the following crime rates - Sioux Falls is 300, Des Moines is 400, Omaha is 500. Alot of cities are around 1000. There is a ten block area northwest of downtown that has the higher crime rate and sways the statistics. I believe someone explained that when you have one rape in one year and the next year you have two rapes that is a 100% increase in rapes. But it is still not alot of rapes.

97% of this town is safe and great for families. I never lock my doors or even my car at night alot of times. Kids run around wherever they want with no worries. I've lived here for 25 years and raised three kids.

You said your questions weren't really answered yet residents have given you their experiences and statistics. So what else do you need to take our word for it?

Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Some people are a little defensive.

I have lived on the East Coast, Statin Island (circa 1980) and near D.C. (circa 1990) There is no comparison. Yes the crime rate is rising in Sioux Falls. It is growing into a big city with all the American big city problems and advantages. The steep rise in crimes is a result of starting off of a low base. Foe example, if there was one rape in 2017 and 2 rapes in 2018 then the incedence of rape will have risen 100 percent year over year and if there had been no rapes in the past 5 years and one the 5 years before, the rate over the last decade would be up dramatically. Moreover, the last three raps could have been one serial rapist passing through town.

I am not saying this is what happened! I do not know what happened, I am just explaning how one can get odd percentages off of a low base.

As far as the snipishness you have received, that is the reason why like Northern Minnisota and North Dakota better than Sioux Falls. This is despite the fact that Sioux Falls is prettier, has better weather and lower taxes. I will note, the further south you go in the md west the worse it getd, Sioux Falls is about as far south as I would willing live. It could be worse, they could have sent you to Des Moines.

Cheers
Qazulght
Apologies for an off-topic question, but what's so bad about Des Moines?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
The very thought of people from New Jersey being worried about moving to Sioux Falls because of it's crime is startling. All increased statistics concerning the great "crime wave" in Sioux Falls versus areas like New Jersey is purely percentages. There isn't even a single established street gang in this city that has gained a moderate foothold.

This adds more ammunition to my belief that the very people who seem to think they're so worldly from both the coasts know next to nothing about anywhere outside of their limited domain. Get out a map, geographically the Midwest is not Ohio. We in the true Midwest and the rest of the central part of the U.S. have experience in living in more lifestyles than nearly everyone from the coasts. We've visited and had experiences in big cities (Chicago, Twin Cities, Kansas City, Denver) understand life in small towns, have all been on farms/ranches and have a clue how they operate. We've been to open plains country, mountains (Rockies,Black Hills), the deep woods (northern Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan/Ozarks), and large lake country (Great Lakes)/large rivers areas (Mississippi/Missouri). Oh, and yes, we've been to the reservations which happen to be a scourge set up by our federal government and is not the fault of our state. As mentioned, the OP is looking at Sioux Falls and the closest major reservation is 150 miles away.

Being in the middle of the country, most of us HAVE been to both coasts as well.

To those on the "coasts" we're considered hicks. Reality is, us in flyover country's knowledge of America far outpaces these areas. My business conversations with east coast plants as well as one plant in LA I deal with consistently confirms this.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Alarm! Alarm! Sioux Falls is full of machete-toting jackalopes! They eat babies and burn down houses! There are tornadoes every day! There are cancer causing spiders! The ticks will get into your brains and turn you into zombies! There are no schools, only corn factories filled with child laborers making corn! (Where else do you think corn comes from?) The grocery stores only sell lutfisk and we force you to eat it! Your neighbors will put hidden cameras in your house and spy on you! Bats will fly around inside your house and bite you in your sleep! In fact, there are no houses - you have to sleep outside with only bearskins for covers! In fact, you can't even have a bearskin, you only can curl up on the ground next to a burr filled burdock. Cowboys riding camels will shoot poison arrows into your tires as you drive down the eerily empty streets! In fact, there are no cars; you must hop everywhere you go! There is nothing to do and nowhere to go because East Coasters are put into gulags the moment they cross the border into South Dakota. And we never let you out! You are OURS now. Will we eat you? Will we perform experiments on you? Will we set you loose in the Badlands and watch you sizzle in the sun? You never know. Anything is possible!

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
I believe someone explained that when you have one rape in one year and the next year you have two rapes that is a 100% increase in rapes. But it is still not alot of rapes.
According to the city data crime stats Sioux Falls has 142 rapes/100,000. Not one or two.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...th-Dakota.html

Compare this to Paterson which is one of the worst places in NJ. Its only 56/100,000 for the most recent year listed.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

In a very nice place like Ft.Lee NJ the rate was only 5/100,000 for the most recent year and 0 in many of the previous years.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

Also a recent 2018 article from a local site states that Sioux Falls has a higher crime rate than New York City.

STATISTICS: Sioux Falls, Rapid City violent crime rates higher than NYC's | News | KELO Newstalk 1320 107.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls