Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

483 posts, read 623,579 times

Advertisements

Last week I got over 500 text messages in one evening that someone was trying to log into my account and change the password. Well they finally got in and changed the name on my account and they set up two part verification. Now I'm locked out and not getting much help from Amazon . There were no purchases made so Amazon isn't viewing it as suspicious activity. I had to call them back a 3rd time explaining the whole thing out...again.

Hoping to resolve this once they review it again. I've already changed passwords for my email etc.

Beware of not having two step verification set up with a phone number. Once I get my account back I'll be sure to do that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Thx for the advice.
Whatever you do on Amazon don't pay directly from checking or debit card.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
They tried that BS on me a while ago and said someone tried to use my CC and locked me out.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

There must be so much fraud going on that Amazon is simply overwhelmed? I"ve talked to reps 2 more times today and have yet to get my account back. Even though I've successfully changed my password, sent a photo copy of my I.D., and added my cell phone to my account. I'm still unable to log in.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
Beware of not having two step verification set up with a phone number.
Until the phone account gets hacked and access is transferred over to a scammer, who then gains access to bank accounts via 2FA if your other credentials have already been compromised. This is now happening with Verizon and other carriers. All of this security for tech is like walking uphill in sand. One step up, three steps backwards (referring to the expenditure of time and energy).

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
Quote:
There must be so much fraud going on that Amazon is simply overwhelmed? I"ve talked to reps 2 more times today and have yet to get my account back. Even though I've successfully changed my password, sent a photo copy of my I.D., and added my cell phone to my account. I'm still unable to log in.
Good god, why? They're already inundated with fraud, and you just made it that much more enticing for the fraudsters to continue, knowing how much sensitive data Amazon is sitting on.

This is all playing out like a futuristic spy movie and will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Old Today, 03:24 PM

I got my Amazon account back this morning. I immediately set up account verification with my cell phone. I now will get a 6 digit code texted to my phone after I log into Amazon before my account opens up. I also will log completely out of Amazon on any device I use.

This was not fun to go through but I was lucky nothing was charged to my bank card before I had them freeze my account. Be vigilant with all of you accounts and update security. The Hackers are out there doing whatever they can to screw with peoples lives.

Old Today, 06:36 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
FWIW, I never save CC or bank account information on platforms like Amazon. I don't use debit cards for web purchases. The only sites I might save payment/account info on belong to my local small town utilities. It takes mere seconds to put the card number in while ordering something, then mere seconds to remove it once the transaction is complete. I always log out completely after transactions and set up two level verification whenever it's offered. So far, so good.

Old Today, 08:45 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Last week I got over 500 text messages in one evening that someone was trying to log into my account and change the password. Well they finally got in and changed the name on my account and they set up two part verification. Now I'm locked out and not getting much help from Amazon . There were no purchases made so Amazon isn't viewing it as suspicious activity. I had to call them back a 3rd time explaining the whole thing out...again.

Hoping to resolve this once they review it again. I've already changed passwords for my email etc.

Beware of not having two step verification set up with a phone number. Once I get my account back I'll be sure to do that as well.
Scary story, sorry to hear this.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm doing my 2-step verification now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products