Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

OP: If the Dollar Stores didn't raise the prices, they'd have to close.

Are the deals worth an extra quarter? Or would you rather have those stores close?
Some are, some aren't. It depends on sizing and what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 06:48 PM

463 posts, read 285,232 times
Here we have Dollarama. The maximum price is now up to $4....Heard they are going to $5 soon. There are still some bargains, it's not all crap, but a lot is.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Dollar Tree has always had some items that were much smaller than items sold in grocery stores (and not worth the price). Why is this some kind of new relevation?

Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm going to miss our Dollar Tree. It was good for craft supplies even if not predictable.

And every now and then I'd get lucky and they'd have Godiva chocolates.

Half the time I go now and it's closed. People just don't show up for work. And an unruly crowd hangs around outside and causes problems. Last week they smashed out a window. Now it's got boards for a window and looks like an eyesore in the little strip mall.

A sign of times to come.
The one I used to go to in California was beyond filthy. It didn’t used to be, but it is a sign of the times. Honestly, it actually looks as if they used an old filthy mop and filthy water to mop the floors so everything‘s just got a layer of filth on it.

The closest dollar tree to me is just OK. There’s one in a little town nearby where my sister says it’s absolutely utterly dangerous to go, and it isn’t, and that place is amazing. It’s clean bright stocked wide aisles and they actually had Awesome there… the other two Dollar Trees had a watered down laundry version of Awesome. It really didn’t work. I need the real stuff.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:24 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1. Some of my regulars were painting tools (brushes, rollers, roller covers), cleaning products & supplies (LA Awesome Cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, brooms, toilet/dish brushes), food items (dried beans, Libby green beans, 79 cents) canned tomatoes, tea, spices, one quart bottles of lemon & lime juice, not reconstituted), personal care items (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton pads, OTC meds) misc. household (ziploc bags, trash bags, food containers).

It was understandable, I guess, that during the covid years that merchandise was scare. But in the past year, all items are now $1.25, many items are out of existence, or have been scaled down to not even be worth the price. My favorite box of green tea bags now contains 60, not 100. Stick deodorant & body powder contain less. Laundry detergent is about 1/4 size than before, just a few examples.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.
Don't worry, you made very good points!

Old 08-08-2022, 07:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,332,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Any old enough to remember the 5 & Dime store? Huge penny candy racks, 5 cent Hershey bars, etc. Having a quarter got you sack full of stuff. Nothing stays the same. Remember putting a dollars worth of gas in the car as a teenager and driving around all night?
Oh, yes I remember....Woolworths, McCrory's, M.H. Lamston's, Leonard's, Kress's, etc. Seems like millennia ago now, yes? Most young folks today probably never heard of any of these stores. Remember the lunch counters in them? It was fairly fast, inexpensive food served on real stoneware with real flatware and glasses. Remember the cases of pies or big domes of cakes on ends of counters? Hitting all of the five and dime stores was a fun and inexpensive outing with the children especially during the long, hot Summers.

You could also go to cinema for .25. A box of popcorn was .25, and a Coke was .25, and the cinemas were CLEAN and comfortable in those days, too.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Would you be happier if they just changed their name to the Five Dollar Tree?

I am old enough to remember the Five and Dime stores, meaning 5 CENTS and 10 CENTS. Yes you really could buy things for a nickel or dime. Then they became dime stores... Well those stores either went out of business or changed their name. So it goes with the dollar stores and 99cent stores.

A "Five Dollar" store would frankly give you a whole lot more realistic choices in 2022. I imagine you will soon see such.
That store already exists - "Five Below".

Old 08-08-2022, 08:08 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Oh, yes I remember....Woolworths, McCrory's, M.H. Lamston's, Leonard's, Kress's, etc. Seems like millennia ago now, yes? Most young folks today probably never heard of any of these stores. Remember the lunch counters in them? It was fairly fast, inexpensive food served on real stoneware with real flatware and glasses. Remember the cases of pies or big domes of cakes on ends of counters? Hitting all of the five and dime stores was a fun and inexpensive outing with the children especially during the long, hot Summers.

You could also go to cinema for .25. A box of popcorn was .25, and a Coke was .25, and the cinemas were CLEAN and comfortable in those days, too.
Remember the burgers at Woolworths? and the lunch counter had these drink dispensers where the drinks were bubbling up inside. Usually red or orange. Had lunch at the counter a few times. Small town Texas

When I was a kid, my Grandma took me to ME Moses. It seemed that they had all sorts of cool things for kids....model kits, paint by number sets, all for cheap We did not have that particular store in our town.

As for Dollar tree, or I guess now, Dollar and a Quarter Tree...most of the shelves are under-stocked, while some are just empty. The no longer carry the 40sq foot aluminum foil, only 15 ft
Rarely do they have razors or shaving gel.

I still get gift wrap there, mailing supplies, cards and reading glasses. I go through too many pairs to pay $12 at Walgreens for reading glasses when the cheap ones work as well.

When, that is, they have any.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1...
Does anyone remember when Dollar Tree first came on the scene? In my area, they carried name brand items that were manufacturers overstocks or excess. Because of that, you never knew what name-brand products they'd have from week to week, but it was always good stuff.

I used to buy good quality facial care products, bath soaps, lotions, gourmet snacks (chocolates, crackers, cookies, chips, olives), quality paper towels (Bounty, Brawny), quality detergent (Tide, Gain, and such), and dishwashing liquid (real Dawn, not the watered down version they sell today).

The counterparts of those products which they carry now are cheap, no-name brands that lack the rich flavor or quality of the good stuff sold back in the day.

DT lost its luster years ago for me. Although I still go from time to time, it's usually to get gum or candy. I don't buy half as much from DT as I used to.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:25 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
In some parts of the country Dollar Tree is being taken over by Dollar General (except I think they have the same parent company?), and in the West it's the 99Cent Only store, which is no longer 99 cents, last time I shopped there they actually had items for $7, $5, $4, $3 etc. I have found I'm going to Dollar Tree less and less now. Mostly for the $1 readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products