Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 10:23 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No offence, but it's that sort of lazy a$$ed behaviour which means the house (in this case food delivery companies) will always win.

Long as people can't be bothered or otherwise can rationalize not getting up off their behinds and cooking food themselves/going to pick it up Uber, DoorDash and rest are in no danger of going out of business by being forced to pay higher costs. Rather they will do what all businesses do when faced with rising costs; bake it into CODB so consumers pay, and or find ways to lower said CODB.
That’s a little harsh, Bugsy. Read my post, I do it about once every two weeks. I cook plenty, I even know how to go to stores by myself .
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 11:20 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
That’s a little harsh, Bugsy. Read my post, I do it about once every two weeks. I cook plenty, I even know how to go to stores by myself .
Should have made it more clear comment wasn't directed just at yourself, but behaviour of population in general.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:39 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
I dunno. I think it's pretty lazy assed behavior not to kill the animal and dig the vegetables immediately before eating your meal. I know the only food I eat is the wild rabbits that live in my neighborhood. And I cook them over an open pit that I dug in the middle of Boren Avenue & Madison Street.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:45 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
I agree that it is great. When I moved to SW Washington back in 2007, I was delighted to find that both Oregon and Washington have a minimum server wage that is a livable wage, not the $2.13/hr (plus tips) that many states adhere to.

Previous to that, I had been a pretty generous tipper. However, it was relieving to find that WA and OR had that livable wage requirement for servers. It’s absolved me of needing to tip for almost 15 years.

I do want to point out two inaccuracies in your post, though.

First, if a tipped employee doesn’t earn the minimum wage for their shift, their employer must make up the difference.

Second is your fallacy of “make US responsible for it…” <— no matter what, as the customer, you always are responsible for it (paying the employees’ wages).
Thanks for the first point… I wasn’t aware.
As to the second, I meant more that I had to not just pay the person but also decide how much to pay. I can factor in things like paying more if the weather is bad, or if it is late at night, but how do I otherwise evaluate performance and, more importantly, why do I have to make the assessment? I don’t know this person or how good an employee record this person has.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:25 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
NYC obviously. But then again far as liberal progressive democrats in this city and state are concerned such things are collateral damage. Long as they deliver for their peeps, that's all that matters.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/17/busine...delivery-fees/

Old 01-18-2024, 06:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
I get the appeal of Doordash, etc. if a person lives in a highrise, as in NYC, the weather is bad & they are old and/or infirm. But where I live, it looks like lazy people who don't even get themselves to McDonald's that use it the most.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:39 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I dunno. I think it's pretty lazy assed behavior not to kill the animal and dig the vegetables immediately before eating your meal. I know the only food I eat is the wild rabbits that live in my neighborhood. And I cook them over an open pit that I dug in the middle of Boren Avenue & Madison Street.
Funny, jabo

Old 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I don't know why people use these deliveries, whether laziness, time saving, convenience or just don't have a car. I have never used them and don't expect to. I prefer eating out at a place where I can sit and relax while being served, and the food is hot and fresh, not limp and soggy. I enjoy driving, so it's fine to go as far away as 1/2 hour or more for a nice meal. Tonight, for example, we're going out for Mexican, at a place about 20 minutes drive.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
The wife and I used to use them occasionally when we were still working in the city.
Sometimes after working long hours it was a treat to not have to cook dinner.
As far as constantly using the food delivery service I think that is foolish.

Where I’m currently located now we can’t get any food delivered.
One of the pizza places has offered to meet us half way but at that point why even bother?
It would kinda be cool to occasionally have some Chinese food or some sushi delivered though.
Yum.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:24 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I prefer one of two things:

1. Eat at the restaurant. I like being in restaurants.

2. Pick it up and walk home. No double-handoff with questions about what the middleman did.

Add the enormous extra cost of these services and there's no way in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area