Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:33 PM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times

Advertisements

In most of Europe recycling is taken very serious. There are designed bins and collection stations.
Trash collectors (city waste management) is fining households that don't participate correctly.
Glass sorted by colors, paper, plastic, metal, organic material, electronics - all is properly sorted by citizens and placed in appropriate bins.
I think they are maybe just more disciplined and take the time to make it right?
Most people here, when I talked about it said that they don't have time to fool with this "silliness" nor want to have all those separate bins in their kitchen or property. If they don't get paid for it they won't do it.

China stopped taking US recycling due to high contamination. People don't want to be bothered with rinsing their containers or removing paper labels, or separating glass jars and metal lids etc.

BTW:
Germany has the highest recycling rate in the world. The nation recycles an impressive 66.1% of its waste.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/04/...r-last-decade/

Last edited by elnina; 05-07-2024 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 02:41 PM

45,539 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In most of Europe recycling is taken very serious. There are designed bins and collection stations.
Trash collectors (city waste management) is fining households that don't participate correctly.
Glass sorted by colors, paper, plastic, metal, organic material, electronics - all is properly sorted by citizens and placed in appropriate bins.
I think they are maybe just more disciplined and take the time to make it right?
Most people here, when I talked about it said that they don't have time to fool with this "silliness" nor want to have all those separate bins in their kitchen or property.

China stopped taking US recycling due to high contamination. People don't want to be bothered with rinsing their containers or removing paper labels, or separating glass jars and metal lids etc.

BTW:
Germany has the highest recycling rate in the world. The nation recycles an impressive 66.1% of its waste.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/04/...r-last-decade/
I said upthread much the same, localities for the most part to make recycling easy for their residents, did comingling instead of separation.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:42 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Same in Southern California. The caveat is that they have to be marked "CA CRV" and you pay a $0.10 "deposit" when you buy one of those items (mostly soft drinks and bottled water; not, for instance, 100% juice or alcohol), so taking them to a recycling center is just getting your own money back.
Here it's just market value of the material... no deposit is paid when making a purchase.

Aluminum is worth not quite $1/lb. Plastic bottles are much less; I don't recall the amount but it's greater than zero.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:44 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Most people here, when I talked about it said that they don't have time to fool with this "silliness" nor want to have all those separate bins in their kitchen or property. If they don't get paid for it they won't do it.
We do it at the "house" end. Where it winds up is a different question entirely. I feel silly doing it because I actually know the answer, but do it to comply with the laws and my societal obligations.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:49 PM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We do it at the "house" end. Where it winds up is a different question entirely. I feel silly doing it because I actually know the answer, but do it to comply with the laws and my societal obligations.
To make it effective, the effort should be coordinated on all levels.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
To make it effective, the effort should be coordinated on all levels.
I would love to take anyone on a tour of a "recycling" facility we used to represent, between 2001 or 2002 and 2009. Case finally wrapped up in 2015. You would not be pleased with how they handled the "recycling" aspect of their business.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:59 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,911,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Americans love single-use plastic/convenient products (and manufacturers have notoriously catered to such). That said, per a recent poll, perhaps the ‘tides are changing’ as 80% of people support (national) policies that reduce single-use plastic as they aren’t easy to recycle (even if folks were willing to do so).

That said, several states have taken on responsibility (California, New York, Vermont, Connecticut and so on) relative to such, including a ban on plastic bags.
Quote:
When the costs of these approaches become apparent people change their minds.
Folks have been paying more relative to single-use plastics and convenience for decades. How difficult is it to use a canvas bag or reuse a plastic bag?

Old 05-07-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Folks have been paying more relative to single-use plastics and convenience for decades. How difficult is it to use a canvas bag or reuse a plastic bag?
What if I am not planning on grocery shopping, make a stop and buy some groceries. Should I have to, Caribbean-style, carry them on my head?

Old 05-07-2024, 03:14 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,911,134 times
Quote:
What if I am not planning on grocery shopping, make a stop and buy some groceries. Should I have to, Caribbean-style, carry them on my head?
That would be a hilarious way to approach it, but how about keeping some bags in your car (as the majority of folks who reuse/recycle do)? That way, you’re ready for your spur-of-the-moment grocery stop.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That would be a hilarious way to approach it, but how about keeping some bags in your car (as the majority of folks who reuse/recycle do)? That way, you’re ready for your spur-of-the-moment grocery stop.
I actually do; they do not make an attractive addition to the back seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology